WhereYouAre Ride Thing 2020

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scattamah

Re: WhereYouAre Ride Thing 2020

Post by Scattamah »

Eternally jealous of the lovely pics. Stuck at the desk this weekend having managed to get picked for on-call.

Y'all have a cracking weekend. I'll hoist one to the north on Monday when I can get stuck back in.

Greetz

S.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:24 am BTW Bob, those in the know tell me to set the hammock with your feet higher than your head. I'm sure Taylor or CM can give you a full and detailed breakdown.
Yeah, twigged that from various readings but I think the hammock itself has to be horizontal or nearly so and last night there must have been 50cm difference so I was just sliding down to one end :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:18 am I see you've got your emergency stash of toilet roll Reg :wink:
I need to scotch that one quick, don't want to appear to be a hoarder :wink: . Tis cleaning roll, had it ages.

Besides I need to keep all space available for hoarding beer and crisps. Oops.

Anyway, 'rate.streetcar.star' beckons....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:56 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:24 am BTW Bob, those in the know tell me to set the hammock with your feet higher than your head. I'm sure Taylor or CM can give you a full and detailed breakdown.
Yeah, twigged that from various readings but I think the hammock itself has to be horizontal or nearly so and last night there must have been 50cm difference so I was just sliding down to one end :lol:
50cm doesn't sound too far out of the ordinary, Maybe 30, I assume you were lying diagonally too?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:00 pm
whitestone wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:56 am
50cm doesn't sound too far out of the ordinary, Maybe 30, I assume you were lying diagonally too?
Yeah, I was laying diagonally. It's a shortish hammock so that might have been part of the problem, I'm going to be encroaching on the narrower part of the hammock whatever. Once I got things levelish this morning it was fine. Just a case of working things out really.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Maybe it might be the short hammock then.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

In a dramatic twist following a great day two ( full report to come later ) I’ need to rebuild my rear wheel with new spokes and a new hub. Thankfully the bothy is surprisingly well equipped. Will he or won’t he? With 3 grid references still remaining it’s an exciting finale.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

In a dramatic twist following a great day two ( full report to come later ) I’ need to rebuild my rear wheel with new spokes and a new hub. Thankfully the bothy is surprisingly well equipped. Will he or won’t he? With 3 grid references still remaining it’s an exciting finale.
:lol:

I seem to remember we've been here before, H.O.T.T. :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Well then, bit knackered today! Another good days riding, more good weather, six GRs done today so just 2 left for tomorrow now.

Just a few road miles out to the 1st point today. It was at the bottom of a 16% bank.... I've spent the last two days trying to decide whether to go up it or down it. In the end it suited my route better to go up it!
Easy first pic on the side of the road
ImageWarks Ride Thing 2020 day 2 by Richard Picton, on Flickr

Followed by climbing the bank... a few more road miles then off onto a bridleway down into a wood to pick up the next ref.
All sweetness and light at the start

Now you all thought it'd been drier then a badgers towel lately, as did I.... still managed to find some mud deep enough for the bike to stand up on it's own

Onwards to the 2nd point of the day.

Reg's next GR put me on a wee little bridge I've crossed a load of times. I've stopped here often and seen Kingfishers and Dippers. Used to be on my commute route.

The next three GRs I've ridden through twice this week already so pretty familiar, although the route chosen to take them all in was a bit different and did take in a section of bridleway I'd not used before.
Actual gravel!

Not been here before...

4th GR of the day. Came down the track to the right, got to go up the track to the left!

Right then, 5th GR of the day I regret I don't have a pic. It was a pub, which I'd noticed a big sign outside offering rotisserie chicken for sale - eat in or take out (not sure how the eat in bit works at the moment, but the sign was there). But the pub was shut. And I was hungry.

The last ref of the day was not far away

On the way home now, took a short cut through the new estate built nearby. I don't know where folk get their ideas for naming new streets, but I think this is an unusual one...
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Rich! Sorry for dumping you with that patch of mud, looked a nice little trail though. Curiously my day was also bone dry apart from one small puddle which splashed far more mud than it should have done.

Arrived back at the bothy early today at lunchtime. Absolutely starving and immediately downed a huge bowl of soup and five slices of bread. I’m not used to this level of exertion. Second day and still not bumped into any other Boners which is most unusual for a WRT.

Set off and shortly went past Bob Monkhouse’s old place, not a very interesting factoid but there we go.

Bob’s first GR at ‘rate.streetcar.star’. No, Bob W’s not Bob M’s. A dead-end lane in a nearby village. Worth coming to as it happens because it seems to be the scene of a bizarre and unfortunate hedge-trimming accident - note the legs sticking out. Either that or they have carnivorous hedges round here.

Some quick road operations brings me to GR 2 at ‘reddish.reinforce.thatched’, at the crossroads of two greenways. Close by at Totternhoe is one of the most concentrated sets of BWs and greenways I’ve ever seen. In this photo you can see a rusty old bit of machinery that seems to have seen life and given faithful service. And also an agricultural rotavator.

We’re now toddling along under the Chiltern moraine (oooh, a bit of geographical eddikashun there!), getting a bit concerned that the next GR is on top of it X_X .

Sure enough, ‘wider.iterative.scoop’ is at Gallows Hill – an appropriate name after a knackering 250’ climb. Still, nice view of the chalk lion at Whipsnade Zoo:

Oh and another one of Milton Keynes snow dome 20 miles away ;-)

Back down the 250’ hill – sigh – and over the Grand Union Canal

Bringing us to a very overgrown greenlane at GR 4 - ‘joystick.flipping.games’ corrected by Bob from ‘dragons.mainland.boardroom’, both equally good 3Words :-bd .

Under the West Coast Main Line which still has plenty of trains running…

At the other side I’d assumed I’d be doing a long diversion round a massive field but my 1971 OS map showed a bridleway straight across it which was a big surprise – result! In fact it WAS surprising because it only went half way across and then stopped, so I had to divert onto a farm track which took as long as the original route would have done. All part of the fun!

Round past Mentmore Towers, the Rothschild family seat, to GR 5 at ‘fattening.packages.clings’. Private Property? No such thing – surely they mean land appropriated off the people by some French bloke a thousand years ago and given to all his mates? I don’t recognise that as a fair deal myself. In this instance the BW goes in another direction so my rebellious tendencies will have to wait until next time.

Here we have a bonus photo, any guesses? (NOT so fast Mr MuddyPete, take one pace backwards if you please :wink: )

A final wobble down the canal towpath and we come across another relic of Leighton Buzzard’s famous sand industry and its associated transport. There was a substantial narrow gauge railway system taking the sand to the town and one of its tendrils ended up on this wharf where sand would be dumped into barges. The giant Chance’s Glassworks in Birmingham took a lot of LB sand, and they supplied all the glass panes for Crystal Palace. I believe this is the only relic left of the original railway.

On that note of historical something or other, I’ll leave you until tomorrow’s thrilling(?) instalment of V-WRT 2020.
Last edited by RIP on Sat May 09, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

RIP wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:57 pm Nice one Rich! Sorry for dumping you with that patch of mud, looked a nice little trail though.
No worries Reg, been down that trail a few times and it's not often like that. Bit overgrown at the moment.

Looks like you had a good day too!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just got back to my bivi spot after the second days* riding. There's a cafe I don't remember from previous visits :grin:

Although if Ralph thinks he's having a slice of my cake he'll be disappointed.

I'll not go into more detail here as I have a media project on the go for the weekend....

*If we can call a 15 mile gentle cruise round a days riding, but why not, as Charlie says It's not a bloody race
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Well done Sean for taking your own mug very sensible in our present situation :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, but he hasn't used it! It's just a "show mug" :smile: .

Amazing these "pop up" cafes aren't they? Waitress service I don't doubt?

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The #danglemug was meant to be a ironic, as I managed to drop it and damage the enamel it's only for show from now on :sad:

That will teach me to poke fun at the gravel-packers :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not a bad day that really. It's gone ominously quiet from a few other participants though - hope they're OK and not marooned on top of some mountain or something.

By the way, I'm just going to the bar, can I get anybody anything?

Last edited by RIP on Sat May 09, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:59 pm
:lol:

I seem to remember we've been here before, H.O.T.T. :wink:
Yes winter Bivvy, that was down to a poor wheel build by a local shop. After I rebuilt it it has been fine for two years.
This time however it’s all my fault, laced up the rim only to find I omitted to put in any build pattern in the calculator. ARSE! I’ve the perfect spokes to build a fully radial rear wheel, bugger bugger Arse! x(

Obviously I won’t be doing any virtual WRT tomorrow. Numpty.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Day two report. First things first - a toe update: ouch!

Anyway, after a cracking night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast, I set off on the second and biggest loop of my weekend.

Wow! Yesterday’s was good but today’s is destined to be a classic. I’d only ridden about a third of it before but I’ll definitely be doing this again. It ties together loads of really good gravel riding in places I just don’t ever ride. Thanks again, Sean!

Here are the North Downs, looking beautiful:

Unfortunately my route took me straight up the slope and the road gearing on my Pickenflick was too tall for my puny legs / wobbly belly combo. Still, that was the only walking today, so I’m not complaining.

Once up on the downs I traversed along time my first grid ref - Colley Hill, with its breathtaking views to the south.

There was also the first tower of the day:

This one dates from 1911 and was built by the water company. It looks a bit unloved, to be honest.

From Colley Hill I headed over the M25 and managed to get this blurry shot WITHOUT :shock: TRAFFIC on a sunny May bank holiday weekend. Lockdown has its upside.

Once north of the Big Road it was time to visit the south-east’s finest collection of surrealist signage, presented as a twin gate installation in the heart of the delightfully named Mogador:

After this there was a hugely long and enjoyable downhill gravel/bridleway section to get to Ashtead Common and grid ref 2. I got a bit lost among the families taking their daily exercise and went round in circles a bit. When I did find the grid ref there was nothing there, except a crow pulling bugs out of the grass. My pic was crap so I won’t bother posting it.

Onward on more great gravel (and the odd very short road section) to grid ref 3 - the impressive Semaphore Tower on Chatley. Heath. This was part of a line of signal towers built by the Admiralty during the Napoleonic wars. I remember walking to it as a child, when it was bricked up and a bit delapidated. Now it’s hidden by scaffolding, as it’s being done up as holiday accommodation by the Landmark Trust.

Surreal sign no 3:

This area is beautiful sandy heathland, with heather and Scots Pine and it always kind of reminds me of the Highlands, despite being pretty flat. There was a wonderful resiny floral scent in the air.

With my grid refs done, I headed for home but the surprises kept coming. My way took me over Wisley airfield, built during WW2 and now abandoned. I’d known it was there all my life but I’ve never seen it before.

A bit more road, a bit more gravel over Bookham Common, a bit more road, a bit more gravel and then some calves, the local vineyard (with a lovely view of Box Hill) and then home.

Best ride in ages!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I am with you in spirit, Yesterday i went on a Magical mystery tour around the lanes and tracks on a route planned to avoid the crowds .The first place of interest was part of the movement that helped get us where we are today ,
A few more miles of pleasant riding including a mile or so of a busy main road (usually) not one car from either direction took me to a little church with a unique Tudor wooden tower .
Onwards to the driveway of the house of one of Boris's predecessors who was quite keen on a walk with his four legged companion and a little further along his route .
It was now time to press on as the cafe i had in mind has a grumpy old bugger running it and if no one turns up he is likely to close early but still time for a gratutious wild garlic photo.
My luck was in and he had baked according to the National Trust one of Winston Churchills favourite cakes so i thought i better try some .
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Day two and it was a hot 'un :oops:

Down through the village and up the other side of the valley. If you've ever seen these big white piles of "stuff" in the countryside then they are pelleted waste paper and are spread and ploughed into the land as a sort of artificial humus/water retention system that will decay naturally.

Anyway, what have the Romans ever done for us? On the way to our first grid ref of the day.

You can just about see our other two checkpoints of the day in this shot, Skipton is the settlement in the centre and just visible at centre right is Embsay reservoir, both about 5km away but we weren't taking the direct route were we? Don't know who Dick Slingsby and Leslie Cox were but that's Cath in the middle - didn't want to take their seats just in case they turned up.

This old phone box in Draughton is reused as a Grocery store. It made headlines a few years ago when it was "robbed".

I've done this BW only once before but in the opposite direction. This bit is chuffin' steep :shock:

Aye up lasses, it's Cath!

These are the woods on the BW from Bolton Abbey up towards Barden Moor. The bluebells were in full bloom and the scent was just overpowering.

Further up, near the top of the BW.

So Cath reckoned we'd go over Embsay Crag to get to the reservoir, "it's steep she said". She weren't bloody wrong! It's not often I'm in bottom gear for any length of time but needed it for this. Just about all rideable as well, I spun out at one point and walked about ten metres to get to somewhere I could start again.

The descent goes left along the skyline to drop down the left hand of the obvious scars then works back right to join the obvious track. The scar is bloomin' steep and I walked it as there was sod all grip with everything being so dry. (Plus I'm a wuss)

Skipton Spar - a salubrious part of town ...

Get me some ice cream she said.

The Polish WW2 memorial to a flight crew who crashed nearby.

An old bench on the last hill of the day.

That was a hot day with some hard hills.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully no one got caught out too much in that thunderstorm we've just had? Anyway, it's nice again now and that bit of rain will obviously make it easier to get yer pegs in :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
barney

Post by barney »

Well I'm half way through, some excellent riding thanks to John's grid refs.

Full report tomorrow...
Wait for me...
ton

Post by ton »

i did a nice 30 mile loop with half the grid's techno sent me.

very nice too.

gonna do the others tomorrow.

i will be sleeping in my own bed. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:18 pm Hopefully no one got caught out too much in that thunderstorm we've just had? Anyway, it's nice again now and that bit of rain will obviously make it easier to get yer pegs in :-bd
No. But it was getting pretty black behind us over the Dales when we were heading back home and most of this afternoon has been very muggy.
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Day two of the virtual WRT known this year as the 'Where you are Ride Thing' for 2020.
Grid refs plotted on the map and off we went, the first two were bagged early and ment it was time for some snacks.
ImagePSX_20200509_191715 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_191734 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_191932 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

After our snacks and back on our bikes we stopped to do a social distance good deed by fixing some ones puncture, it also gave us a chance to have a break from the sun before the toughest part of the days route, the bridal ways over broken tracks, ploughed fields and dense meadows.
ImagePSX_20200509_192013 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

A pack horse bridge bagged GR 3 and a long gone public phone was GR 4. The final GR, no:5 was a old hospital, now gated homes, on the back of more farm land with a bridalway.
All 5 GR's had we pointed our wheels for home taking in the only real hill of the day.

ImagePSX_20200509_192053 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_192137 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_192224 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_180823 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr

ImagePSX_20200509_192520 by Matthew Reilly, on Flickr