Islabike servicing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Islabike servicing

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just noted last night that the bottom bracket (seems an old adjustable type, square tapered with external notches but I've not had tge cranks off yet) and pedals bearings are a bit shot. Might aswell sort em so the little one can take benefit before its moved on to the next lucky owner.

Problem is that preliminary searching on tinternet seems not to yield service bits. Have been on Isla site which has a 'service parts' section but doesn't appear to have any bits in there.

Any ideas on where I could and should be looking... ?
Al

Re: Islabike servicing

Post by Al »

Have you tried contacting them? Nice company to deal with - very helpful.

Forgotten his name (sorry!) but their marketing guy rode bb200 last year.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

The BB sounds like it could be a cup and cone model, IIRC the notched ring is a lockring - uses the same tool as a fixed wheel lockring. There's not much sealing in there, but it can just be stripped and cleaned and then rebuilt.

I'd swap it for something like a UN55 cartridge BB, probably less than £15 and will outlast the current and next five owners!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you message them I'm sure they'd be able to help. I bivied with Ben (frame builder) and Steve Chapman (the marketing guy) on last years HT550. Isla was at the scratchers party at the Tyndrum Arms.

They're really passionate about cycling and also sustainability so I'm sure they'd want it to help someone else to start cycling.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the input. Hadn't thought to email em. Will get on with that when I gets the chance :-bd
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

redefined_cycles

I'm in Ludlow (home of Islabikes) so if for any reason you need help, just ask.

Jan
Last edited by mfezela on Fri May 08, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

mfezela wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:42 pm redefined_cycles

I live in Ludlow (home of Islabikes) so if for any reason you need help, just ask.

Jan
Thanks Jan... Indeed I shall do so :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 pm Isla was at the scratchers party at the Tyndrum Arms.
Just reading this back and for clarity, Isla hadn't scratched, she missed the group start as she had a broken foot but was in Tyndrum to catch up with everyone. As soon as her foot was mended she headed out on an ITT, on a singlespeed, and finished :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

sean_iow wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:15 am
sean_iow wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:19 pm Isla was at the scratchers party at the Tyndrum Arms.
Just reading this back and for clarity, Isla hadn't scratched, she missed the group start as she had a broken foot but was in Tyndrum to catch up with everyone. As soon as her foot was mended she headed out on an ITT, on a singlespeed, and finished :-bd
:-bd plus I've just watched that Mountainbiking untold story film and she is in the first bit going on about the early days which is far more interesting than all the racing stuff the film ends up covering. Didn't know there was a scratchers party last year, I must have been home by then..... :cry:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:24 am Didn't know there was a scratchers party last year, I must have been home by then..... :cry:
At the time it was just some of us going to the pub but afterwards Slarge called it the 'scratchers party' as there were a few of us there. You missed a good nights drinking :grin:
redefined_cycles

Whilst its still fresh in head...

Resorted to measuring the dimensions as it saved me doing homework. Thankfully my BikeHand square taper BB removal tool (got with MBR over 15 years ago and a bit ragged) still works and no threads stripped during removal.

68mm BB shell and 112mm width of the asjustable BB that I pulled out. Ordered a UN55 (thanks for that) shimano BB in 110+68 flavour and its come up to £11 :-bd from £29ish...

Gonna order some DMR v6 shortly (a bit wider platform but you know...) in orange to with his helmet.

Also noticed the headset is a bit rough so might see if I have a nice on as UG in the shed :grin: ...

Maybe the rear (and front) might even get regreased and adjusted :-bd

Thanks all... Having tools, don't you just love it (wonder what Boris would class this as... could I have worked this from outside rather than home but whilst staying home... :smile: dunno... all v confusing and will let Reg decipher his BS)

[Edit: James replied about 3 hours after this post telling me roughly what I said above... sounds like a top man as he wasn't trying to sell me owt and just what to source... Thanks again all]
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue May 12, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

NB. I did email Isla and Co but they're probably too busy for the mo (email last week or over W/E) which is just as well as I reckon the bits wouldn't be on offer at their site anyway.

Other noggins I've learnt/measured...

The pedals are a standard 9/16th thread. Smaller pedals are few and far between and don't look that appealing or are too expensive. The other option (that looked ok) was the smaller version of CrankBros Stamp 1 but at £28 with fiver delivery the platform size is similar to the DMR V6 anyway... :smile:

Just resisted the urge to order a cheap cartridge bearing 1" headset aswell and regreased the current one (result)... :smile: