Using my waterproof jacket as back up tarp

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Using my waterproof jacket as back up tarp

Post by benconnolli »

So the use case is clear forecast, only taking a bivi bag, then the heavens open and it would be a grim night.

My waterproof is always packed anyway, and I wouldn't be using it while sleeping, and it is waterproof. This is primarily a raincoat and occasional tarp, compared to the poncho tarps which are primarily a tarp.

I have been experimenting with tarps and have made a bivi hole cover from a 75cm square, four pegs, four clip on lines, and a 60cm pole section. Draping my waterproof on top it is close enough, with the least important tail dimension being a bit shorter. There isn't space to sit up, but I managed to prop myself up on my elbows and prepare lunch. Shame we have had the last of the rain for a week to give it a proper test.

I propose fixing tie out loops at the two sides of the bottom zip, the tail and the back of the neck, with the pole lifting at the neck end. Will the fabric be ok? Would it stretch too much to make a taught tarp shelter out of? I timed myself putting the tarp up at 1 minute 20 so would not get too wet in that time, and I can probably get much faster.
benconnolli

Re: Using my waterproof jacket as back up tarp

Post by benconnolli »

So here is the proof of concept using pebbles as tie outs. I had not considered the possibility of the sleeves being curtains, but think I would leave them draping as that tension would be fighting against the stitching and 2 more pegs makes a significant contribution to this set up.

Image20200502_174539 by Ben Con, on Flickr

Image20200502_174552 by Ben Con, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice bit of innovation and doubling-up. In the configuration shown it seems to give protection from one side, but you mention a tail tie-out too so would a mini-flying-V work for slightly more two-sided coverage? Presumably the main aim is to keep rain away from the bag hole?

Anyway - :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Yep keeping the bag hole clear is the name of the game. Tried a flying v and indeed it did give relatively comprehensive protection. It was a right wiggle to get in and out of the tarp though. I had to get into my bivi bag then worm my way under, compared with the other set up which I could get in and sit down or reverse. As is the versatility of tarps, both have their relative merits depending on the situation.

Image20200502_204503 by Ben Con, on Flickr

Image20200502_204610 by Ben Con, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As I may have remarked previously, you all obviously live in a part of the world where wind-driven rain doesn't exist. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I think if I wanted to do this* I would look at having a jacket made of the same material as tarps. I think I have seen jackets of silnylon or similar on US sites.

* I dont, tho all the best in your endeavours 😎
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:52 am I would look at having a jacket made of the same material as tarps.
Yeah I think this is what I would do, if I find it in any way useful and beneficial in the real world. I would probably make my own jacket as it my requirements are different enough to anything on offer, and I enjoy making things.

After lying under there I think it is just too small. I would be compromising too much on functionality over a slightly larger tarp and pole set up. A false economy saving too much weight to not solve the intended problem. It is not unbearably rough in a bivi bag in the rain. My use case for such a small tarp was no rain forecast, so taking anything beyond the bivi bag for condensation and emergencies would be unused dead weight and complication. Either larger or nothing.

I have ordered 3m of silnylon for ~£25 as I wanted to make a rectangular tarp 2.25*1.5m, which will conveniently leave 75cm offcut (slightly less after seam allowance) that I may make into a microtarp as a practice.