Turn any bivvy into a hooped bivvy*.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Turn any bivvy into a hooped bivvy*.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

*kind of.

Principle seems sound but requires some more work. Expect the weight to increase slightly and the packsize to get smaller. There's enough rigidity to hold the bag up even a heavy one like this but enough flexibility that the pole will bend rather than snap ... high winds, you being clumsy etc.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Turn any bivvy into a hooped bivvy*.

Post by ScotRoutes »

Neat. I got Marc at Trekkertent to put a couple of tie points "under" the tarp so I could hook my bivvy bag up like this.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Nice :-bd Is that a one piece carbon pole? How does it pack down? Or is that why the weight will go up/pack size down when it's sectional?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's 2 pieces with a join Sean. I'm thinking that it needs to be longer overall and with additional joints to reduce the packed length, hence the increase in weight. I'd estimate it could potentially rise to 15g total :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:37 am That's 2 pieces with a join Sean. I'm thinking that it needs to be longer overall and with additional joints to reduce the packed length, hence the increase in weight. I'd estimate it could potentially rise to 15g total :wink:
Would it work well with one of them there Alpkit classic bivys (I forget the name... the good ones that aren't too light at 500g ish)... how much that there pole then Stu...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's only an idea yet Shaf. In all honesty, there's probably not much point unless your bivvy has in net built in.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 am It's only an idea yet Shaf. In all honesty, there's probably not much point unless your bivvy has in net built in.
Aha.. thanks Stu...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Perfect accessory to my Borah bivvy for dry weather, I'm very interested as dislike the mesh on my face. Assume there's a connecting strap underneath rather than just sticking the ends in the ground? How long is your prototype if it's not a personal question :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perfect accessory to my Borah bivvy for dry weather, I'm very interested as dislike the mesh on my face. Assume there's a connecting strap underneath rather than just sticking the ends in the ground? How long is your prototype if it's not a personal question
In this instance, the ends are peg-like so just pushed into the ground. 'Tis 1m long Duncan but I'd like a bit more length :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

just pushed into the ground
Easier said than done in my neck of the woods. Might have to get loops sewn into the bivvy bag to use on hard ground.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

as noted above webbing strap with grommets would do the trick and then be usable on more than one bivvy [and you can now market it as free standing go anywhere with any bag] possibly bring it up to 20 g though
barney

Post by barney »

I've got a nice Black Diamond with a bug net. Don't use it much because I don't enjoy the full zipped in experienced.

Could be interested in how this develops Stu...
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you use a webbing strap beneath the bivvy to hold the ends of the pole, you'll possibly then need to add lines to hold the thing up or use 2 poles that cross. This will certainly be the case for bags which can't be pegged out .... which kind of brings us back full circle.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You could achieve the same by using a straight pole affixed to your bike by a couple of velcro straps, with the bike alongside your bivvy bag.
FLV

Post by FLV »

My MSR AC bivy has one of those little loops. I used to attach a guy rope to it with a little clip on it and hook it over a branch if sleeping in the woods.
It only really worked in an evergreen wood with trees with low branches. Which kind of meant crawling about in the soggy ground.
I gave up in the end and just turned on my side.

I've revisited a similar idea to that Stu by idly browsing the diy shop when in for other stuff has yet to turn up the right material.

I also think with mine in particular, I'd need to detach the 'pole' to get in and out effectively.

Be interesting to see how far you get with it for sure,
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Nice ! - The alloy poles on my good old Pheonix Phoxhole GoreTex hooped bivvy have split in places and are held together with Gorilla tape, so I am interested in this as a potential replacement. The bag itself is over 20 years old and still works brilliantly well if a tad heavier than the latest models.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:59 am My MSR AC bivy has one of those little loops. I used to attach a guy rope to it with a little clip on it and hook it over a branch if sleeping in the woods.
That's certainly an option too. My idea of carrying your own "branch" of a long pole, attached to your bike, would give more flexibility of pitch.

Also, a tip; include a bit of elasticity in your line to allow for movement of your bag (and tree 😉)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The carbon in the picture is 2mm OD. I've just ordered up some 3mm - nothing really wrong with the 2mm but 3mm will allow the use of carbon joints / outer spigots. Hopefully, the 3mm will behave in a similar fashion to the thinner stuff.

I can see a few potential uses, so I'm thinking that if it does work out, then making them to customers spec would likely be the best bet.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just made a 2m long one from 3mm. Seems fine, a little sturdier than the 2mm but still highly flexible. Weighs 22g. I think I'll have a go at a quick permavent tarp and see whether it'll hold that up ... I would have made some spreader poles for a hammock tarp if someone had bothered to tell me the dimensions :wink:
barney

Post by barney »

Excellent Stu, hopefully purchase one if they go into production
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As promised / threatened, I got chance the other day to continue messing about with the flexi poles. I quickly sewed a sleeve at each end of some permavent and some tie-out points. This is the result.

Next, I will do it properly with some nylon (a) because and (b) the lighter material will work better with the poles but overall, some sort of progress. Ooh poles themselves are 2m long and weigh less than 20g each.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Be nice for your cucumbers and lettuces this summer..... I'll get me coat....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:36 am You could achieve the same by using a straight pole affixed to your bike by a couple of velcro straps, with the bike alongside your bivvy bag.
Lo and behold!

ImageDSC_1165 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1164 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

That's just using the pole that came with my Lunar Solo. I already had a loop of elastic on the bivvy bag but there is so much flex in the pole that a short piece of guyline would do the trick. A mat inside the bivvy bag would give it more shape and open the vent up a lot more. The setup could be easily replicated with a branch, as long as the straps were long enough.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well, between us we're growing veg and catching fish :wink:
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

That's just using the pole that came with my Lunar Solo. I already had a loop of elastic on the bivvy bag but there is so much flex in the pole that a short piece of guyline would do the trick. A mat inside the bivvy bag would give it more shape and open the vent up a lot more. The setup could be easily replicated with a branch, as long as the straps were long enough.
Do you mean a guyline from the bivvy bag end of the pole back to the top of the handlebars to minimise pole flex ?