Green Steel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

darbeze

Re: Green Steel

Post by darbeze »

I have the 46cm (may be 44cm actually) VentureMax bars on my bike and they are very comfy.

The bio-bend bit just sits in the palm of your hand very nicely. I find it helps you keep hold over the bumpy stuff as the bend helps to stop your hands slipping/moving forwards and backwards on the drops...

Si
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:02 pm Its a fargo innit and they do have a place - touring bike that can bag some double track and easy single track. Put some loop bars on it and it will be a comfy rigid mountainbike. It all depends on what other bikes you have. I ditched the Fargo as the Jones could do most of what it did plus a lot of other stuff. I then bought a gravel bike to do the stuff the Jones was less able for :roll:

It just needs an ergotec high charisma stem and it'll be reet.
The tiddly tyres and lack of mounts stop this being a rival for the Fargo. A metal Warbird maybe.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 am
It's not for cycling to the shops!
No but it is for riding long distances on mixed terrain, something a head down, arse up position limits. Drops off road are brilliant fun but it's a different game to having drops on road. However, even on the road many riders seldom use the drops due to an overly 'racey' position. Off road, wide, shallow drops set high is the way foward. :-bd
It's horses for course though innit. For the riding I do, that bike, setup like that, arse up, head down, would be perfect. We don't have to try and mould every #gravelwanker bike into an identekit bikepacking mould, it's not like there's a shortage of different bike designs available. If you don't want to ride arse up, head down, buy a different bike...

P.S. Apologies if this comes across as grumpy, not had the best eighteen hours...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

darbeze wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 am I like it, but then I am a bit biased....

:lol:

http://www.askebikes.co.uk/bike-frame-g ... rousel-389

Si
Ooohhhh :grin: those are some great photo's
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

multiple hand positions which really helps prevent hand numbness on multiple day trips.
Never really had a problem with this[ and think i would try jones type bars first ], well not to the extent it was worse than my sore legs or arse
sorry to hear about your hands and glad it helps.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

However, even on the road many riders seldom use the drops due to an overly 'racey' position. Off road, wide, shallow drops set high is the way foward. :-bd
Infrequent use of the drops is more to do with the riders lack of conditioning/core stability and/or the riders aspirations not matching their capability at the time of bike purchase.

The 'weight' forward gives the front tyre grip in fast loose corners, helps the core engage when pedalling = efficient. Stops the front end lifting and wandering on steep climbs.

If you're not flexible or fit enough to ride like that don't make it the bike's problem.

Many of us can and do ride far on bikes setup like that (just not at the moment due to covid19 :-bd )
@philg1971 Instagram
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

K1100T wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:08 pm
No but it is for riding long distances on mixed terrain, something a head down, arse up position limits. Drops off road are brilliant fun but it's a different game to having drops on road. However, even on the road many riders seldom use the drops due to an overly 'racey' position. Off road, wide, shallow drops set high is the way foward. :-bd
It's horses for course though innit. For the riding I do, that bike, setup like that, arse up, head down, would be perfect. We don't have to try and mould every #gravelwanker bike into an identekit bikepacking mould, it's not like there's a shortage of different bike designs available. If you don't want to ride arse up, head down, buy a different bike...

In the main, I agree. Problem is that the article reads like they are aiming it at the "adventure" market.

FWIW the drops on my #gradventourer are a bit higher than that, but would still appear overly racy to some. I find they suit me fine and certainly don't have any problems with the even lower bars on my "fast" road bike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In fairness this is a bikepacking forum so things will usually revolve around the idea of extended / multi-day rides. I really don't think there's such a thing as an identikit bikepacking bike, in fact bikepacking perhaps accommodates far greater diversity than any other sphere of cycling? My point was really that in some instances form precedes function, something which is often a bad thing on long multi-day rides.

and don't apologise for grumpy, if we had to do that I'd never stop apologising :wink:
Infrequent use of the drops is more to do with the riders lack of conditioning/core stability and/or the riders aspirations not matching their capability at the time of bike purchase.
Exactly, aspirations driven by marketing. If they pictured the same bike with a 35 degree stem fitted I'm certain they'd sell less, yet some who bought them may find the gap between their aspirations and capabilties reduced.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

May satan walk with you
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

I thought this could be a good bike for the cycle to work scheme voucher this year but just seen the price :shock:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:50 am
Have you tried it John? A monster cross is tremendously good fun
Should i put some drop bars on my hardtail my short travel bike or my big bouncer to get the full experience :wink:
I just dont see what problem it solves- what is the terrain or route where this is the best choice bike , even fat bikes get beaches and snow - genuine question that as i dont see what "problem" it solves.
YMMV obvs but i wont be buying one anytime soon
Why does something need to be solving a problem if it's fun to ride?

Personally the routes where I find most benefit are long-ish distances over mixed terrain, particularly where there might be some long road sections or long flat sections. It also adds a new dimension to trails that I only usually ride on a mtb - line choices up and down will be different.

But yeah, it's good fun. YMMV though :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You people really do love your type 2 fun :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Riding a rocky/rooty track, pelting along, hands in the drops is exciting. The riding position makes you want to go faster.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Singular Sam brought one to an event in Lee Quarry way back when and I was there manning a stall. Rode it, was great fun, bought one.

Still got the Gryphon and would be very sad to part with it. Was also my first 29er.

I rode one of those chopper bikes at my first (and only) Sleepless. Was ridiculous but put a massive grin on my face.

Bikes are fun and variety is the spice of life.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 pm Riding a rocky/rooty track, pelting along, hands in the drops is exciting. The riding position makes you want to go faster.
Corrected for my perspective:
Riding a rocky/rooty track, pelting along, hands on the wide flats is exciting. The riding position makes you want to go faster.

:-bd
It's always the same :wink:

From cyclingtips:
"Gone is the sporty cyclocross-like geometry, and instead the Outback is now something that’s closely aligned to its name – a bike that’s ideally suited to adventure."

I use my 160 mm full sus 29er regularly for bikepacking trips in terrain it's perfectly suited. Amazingly, I recently just rode a bit beyond 100 km in one day on it. Imagine! On bike that won enduro race series. And it was comfy 'till the end.
About time I tell the folks behind the brand, that they should jump on the adventure bandwagon too.

#advendurobro

Wow...
They could build the 160 mm fs bike with drop bars and skinny tyres to make it even more adventurous. After all the rear can be locked with pushing a trigger or twisting a grip shift.
Thinking back to the stir the Niner caused doing 'something like' that can only be good for a bike company.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:41 pm You people really do love your type 2 fun :smile:
Leaving aside style of bike, that does seem to be a recurring theme on this forum! Tussocks anyone?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Riding a rocky/rooty track, pelting along, hands on the wide flats is exciting. The riding position make
When I'm old and soft I will probably have to do that too.
chris n

Post by chris n »

feck me. Who'd have thought that a) different people can like different things and 2) people who have stuff to sell make new things that they think might be popular so folk will buy them. :roll:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Incoming PPPPAAAAAANNNNNDDDDDAAAAA 😎
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 pm Incoming PPPPAAAAAANNNNNDDDDDAAAAA 😎

Just look how happy he is on the drops, told ya :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

chris n wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:47 pm Who'd have thought that a) different people can like different things and
Even the same people do different things :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm
Riding a rocky/rooty track, pelting along, hands on the wide flats is exciting. The riding position make
When I'm old and soft I will probably have to do that too.
Your Orbea must be fun with drops :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. A lockdown project. 😜
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I would say that a full sus with drop bars was jumping the shark but Niner already did that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Leaving aside style of bike, that does seem to be a recurring theme on this forum! Tussocks anyone?
I think that's really just a matter of perception and perhaps character? Maybe a reflection of the component parts? One persons extraordinary is anothers normal. Personally, I find things which could perhaps fall under the heading of 'Type 1' fun to be a little like fast food. Quick and easy certainly but lacking any great substance which leaves me hungry. I much prefer eating a meal that I've put some effort into, I find it much more satisfying / rewarding.

Anyway, let's not forget that opinions are very much like handlebars. We've all got some but you might not like mine and I might not like yours but that's great because it'd be crap if we all liked excactly the same thing and our experiences mirrored those of everyone else. vive la difference

* Nice panda Steve :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way