Wanted; 700C x 40mm Tubeless Tyres

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Wanted; 700C x 40mm Tubeless Tyres

Post by The Cumbrian »

Has anyone got any 700C x 40mm tubeless tyres kicking about that they aren't using? I'm looking for something gravel orientated or dual use.

I'm in the process of beefing up my old hybrid, and I've put some Schwalbe Land Cruisers on, which I'm pleased with but can't run tubeless. I'm pedalling along a lot of towpaths at the moment, and many of them are hedged with hawthorn which has resulted in several punctures. The bike's so old I'm not even sure that I'll be able to convert it to tubeless, so I don't want to shell out on new tyres just to see if it works.

Cheers, Michael.
Last edited by The Cumbrian on Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Retiredtester

Re: Wanted; 700C x 40mm Tyres

Post by Retiredtester »

Got some lightly used wtb nanos in 700x40c that I'm unlikely to use again. They're non tubeless and I've no idea whether you could set them up tubeless regardless with a bit of perseverance and know how. Any good?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Retiredtester wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 pm Got some lightly used wtb nanos in 700x40c that I'm unlikely to use again. They're non tubeless and I've no idea whether you could set them up tubeless regardless with a bit of perseverance and know how. Any good?
Thanks, but I'm trying to cover my bases as best I can by using tubeless ready tyres. The bike is so old it has rim brakes, which is why I'm a little sceptical about it being able to go tubeless.
Bilbo Baggins.
Retiredtester

Re: Wanted; 700C x 40mm Tubeless Tyres

Post by Retiredtester »

All understood!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Retiredtester wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:44 pm Got some lightly used wtb nanos in 700x40c that I'm unlikely to use again. They're non tubeless and I've no idea whether you could set them up tubeless regardless with a bit of perseverance and know how. Any good?
Which ones are they exactly? Are they the folding Race ones?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Iv nano non tubeless tires and they go up fine tubeless with the compressor
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks Mike. Not sure without checking Shawn, but they've been provisionally dibbed.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The Cumbrian wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 pm I'm in the process of beefing up my old hybrid, and I've put some Schwalbe Land Cruisers on, which I'm pleased with but can't run tubeless.
My wife's hybrid has Schwalbe Land Cruiser's on, Active in 700x35c. They are set up tubeless and there have been no issues. As her wheels weren't tubeless ready I used the Stans rim strips to convert them.

If you're happy with your tyres that might be an option? I might have a set of rim strips somewhere as well*, I tried to convert the 700 rims on my road bike but I couldn't get the tyres I was using to inflate as they were just too loose on the rim. I can't remember if Jane's bike was already converted or if I use the strips on hers but I can have a look if you're interested?

* This is not a stealth ad, I only remembered about the strips after I started typing :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

The Land Cruisers are the slackest tyres I've ever encountered. I can fit and remove them easily without tyre levers, and even with tubes in I have to be careful that the bead is seated correctly when inflating them. I learned this on the first puncture when I'd inflated it with my crappy mini pump only to find that a part of the bead hadn't seated. Following a sweary interlude, I deflated the tyre, reseated it and pumped it up again.
Bilbo Baggins.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jane's bike has Alexrims Comp Disc and they're not too bad a fit on them. It was a couple of years ago I fitted them but don't remember them being too slack. The rim/tyre/fit combination is pot luck in my experience.

I was once tried to fit some narrow rocket rons to some 700c wheels and they were so slack I just couldn't get them to inflate. Even using self adhesive foam in the wheel bead under the tape to pack it out and a compressor didn't help.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger