Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

macinblack

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by macinblack »

Staying local has resulted in a dearth of the sort of beer I drink, however I had to go to the vets today and so had an excuse to pop into the farmshop nearby.
Woohoo - 4 minikegs of Welbeck Abbey Portland Black porter.

That'll keep me going for quite a while.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Landslide wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:21 pm Well, today brought two beer deliveries, and a hose adapter for the outside tap.
I admire your sense of occasion and dedication to the noble art of beer drinking, everyone round to yours.....Bugger.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Yes, I know it's not Friday...but good news can't wait :grin:.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/52151271

Best news of the week :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well patently not everything's cheerful, but gotta make an effort. So I think we've been far too tolerant and indulgent of all that plodding "wavey ravey music" or whatever it is on that other thread recently :wink: . Time to blow the cobwebs away with some proper tunes and blistering guitar work. No apologies for the Toy Dolls again, with something from their excellent 'Idle Gossip' album, so pour yourself a Lamby, and yes, Babs has gone and Billy's been a goon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXoKZhadknE. I'm beginning to sound like a DJ myself now. And yes I know that Olga needs to rein in the overuse of helium :wink: .

Bit of downer that I *was* supposed to be going to the Dollies' gig tomorrow night in Camden, but it's obviously been put off until next January now.

"Punk" has its instrumental side too, and I've been a big fan of "Man Or Astroman?" for ages. As Stu says, they're like a speeded up Dick Dale, or possibly an instrumental Ramones. Saw 'em live at The Garage in the 90s a couple of times and couldn't hear properly for days. You have to be careful not to get too close to the stage as there's a risk of being blown up by one of their explosions etc. Hilarious! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bY9Qgk28w. This next one is probably too much though for those of a nervous disposition, complete with blazing theremin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9rXMip60Y

Was nattering to Stu about the roots of punk rock, and of course it goes right back to the late 50s or earlier. But let's content ourselves with this little formative oddity from 1966: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6An7KGK6U3c.

"Drum N Bass" ? Hah. As Croc Dundee would have said, THAT is bass n drum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsmsKkAFQw. Before you mock, remember this was 58 years ago and I would offer that Jet Harris was one of the earliest punks, and certainly the UK's first electric bass guitarist. Had a drink with him after a gig once, incredible life. Never met Tony Meehan unfortunately, but it turned out that my oldest mate Mark lived next door to him in Maida Vale and had to pick up the pieces when Tony fell downstairs and killed himself, so that's a tenuous connection I suppose.

I think we'll draw a discreet veil over Stu's latest discovery :smile: .

Right, time for a brew and a hobnob.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am Bit of downer that I *was* supposed to be going to the Dollies' gig tomorrow night in Camden, but it's obviously been put off until next January now.
Given the demographic of the audience that's optimistic that they will still be around to go :wink:
RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am Right, time for a brew and a hobnob.
I first read this as "a brew and a handj*b" :lol: I'm going to say that's my eyesight rather than my mind.

I've been listening to mainly goth and industrial recently. I was just thinking about when my Mum told me that if I kept dying my hair it would fall out, how right she was, although I think she realised that her brother was follically challenged and I would end up the same and the black dye was a handy get out of jail free card :lol:

Whist reminiscing about having long hair, going the pub on Friday's and being the local alternative dj with all the 'benefits' that brought :wink: I worked out that at the time my Mum was warning me about hair dye that she was about the age I am now :o Hard to believe now that's she's 83, but also shows how fast the time goes... at least when not on lock-down anyway.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 pm Given the demographic of the audience that's optimistic that they will still be around to go :wink:
Aye and the bands themselves too. I have to keep re-inventing my "likes" as they regularly seem to pop off now. Such is the price of an enormous 60's vinyl collection. Was hoping to do the Bonzos "final" concert this year, but poor old Neil Innes painted his pink half of the drainpipe for the last time in December so that's that :sad: .

Goths - how can you resist the Addams Family bopping to The Ramones! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCWOb7V-b0.
I'd've married Morticia if it hadn't been for Catwoman stealing my affections.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:00 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:25 pm Given the demographic of the audience that's optimistic that they will still be around to go :wink:
Aye and the bands themselves too. I have to keep re-inventing my "likes" as they regularly seem to pop off now. Such is the price of an enormous 60's vinyl collection. Was hoping to do the Bonzos "final" concert this year, but poor old Neil Innes painted his pink half of the drainpipe for the last time in December so that's that :sad: .
Last Toy Dolls gig I went to was predominantly young people. They tend to attract the “fun” crowd. Which includes me and Reg.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am "Punk" has its instrumental side too, and I've been a big fan of "Man Or Astroman?" for ages. As Stu says, they're like a speeded up Dick Dale, or possibly an instrumental Ramones. Saw 'em live at The Garage in the 90s a couple of times and couldn't hear properly for days. You have to be careful not to get too close to the stage as there's a risk of being blown up by one of their explosions etc. Hilarious! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bY9Qgk28w. This next one is probably too much though for those of a nervous disposition, complete with blazing theremin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9rXMip60Y
Love man or astroman. Another great discovery from John peel or maybe mark and lard.... Anyway, a great band who don't take themselves too seriously.
Your weight on the moon still regularly hits the turntable at techno towers but you can't beat this for an album title: https://www.discogs.com/Man-Or-Astro-Ma ... ster/27441
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:00 pm Aye and the bands themselves too. I have to keep re-inventing my "likes" as they regularly seem to pop off now.
Pete Shelley was the last one for me, a chance to see the buzzcocks at the Albert Hall seemed like a beautiful gig.

One on my great gig regrets was James Brown, I friend invited me to see the chilli peppers with JB as support, having seen the chilli’s at reading just after BSSM I just couldn’t face seeing them doing the pop version of what was a great funk rock band. My wife said she thought I was going to cry that Christmas morning when JB died.

Didn’t miss the chance to see Iggy though, his support band were OK, foot flightiers or something like that :lol:

David Byrne recently was amazing, having been a talking heads fan since 15 years old.

Much like women, the bands you didn’t take the opportunity to enjoy leave a lingering regret as you get older.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Techno: :-bd . Still reckon we should arrange a BBB-ride-punkfest. I believe all the aforementioned bands are closet bikepackers, and would really dig our groove baby.

H.O.T.: still annoyed I didn't get a pass for Man/Biscuit in Feb. Next time m8....

Here's another cracking outfit albeit not punky: The Atlantics from Oz. Inventively wayyyy ahead of their time in the early 60's, and Jim Skiathitis is still at it, having attracted the incredibly skilled Martin Cilia on lead/rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZffEMWhMI8

Ok, no more Reg playlists tonight, gets a bit boring for those who don't like proper tunes :wink: .

(PS I''m still haunted by my earlier Morticia/Catwoman vision. Ohhhhh.... Help.....)
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:19 pm Here's another cracking outfit albeit not punky: The Atlantics from Oz. Inventively wayyyy ahead of their time in the early 60's, and Jim Skiathitis is still at it, having attracted the incredibly skilled Martin Cilia on lead/rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZffEMWhMI8

Ok, no more playlists tonight :wink: .

(PS I''m still haunted by my earlier Morticia/Catwoman vision. Ohhhhh.... Help.....)
That's great, will give them more of a listen soon,.
My last offering for the evening, definitely shares some genes with the surf guitar stuff:
https://youtu.be/8Wah7MqEHFg
techno

Post by techno »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 pm David Byrne recently was amazing, having been a talking heads fan since 15 years old.
Bit of cross pollination here, man or astroman covered television man, cracking version:
https://youtu.be/Y-mVcIN8mgc
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

techno wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:53 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 pm David Byrne recently was amazing, having been a talking heads fan since 15 years old.
Bit of cross pollination here, man or astroman covered television man, cracking version:
https://youtu.be/Y-mVcIN8mgc
Cheers,great cover. Talking Heads very much a fringe band for much of their career, art house punk I once read in the music press :roll:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I put a new climbing frame up yesterday.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheery equilibrium here - neither/nor today really. So, owt amusing happened with your climbing frame Stu? Done a bungee jump off it whilst mounted on your shopping bike and shouting "Geronimo!!" for example?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So, owt amusing happened with your climbing frame Stu? Done a bungee jump off it whilst mounted on your shopping bike and shouting "Geronimo!!" for example?
Nothing unexpected or exciting Reg, the really good stuff happened when I climbed round the other side and stood on tiptoe while leaning round the front to point the bits I couldn't reach from my safe and sturdy frame :wink:

And today is quite cheery as I'm trying to remove 60 years of baked on crap from an Amal 376 :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oooh, be careful :smile: . Remember what happened to poor old Rod Hull. Actually, same fate unlikely to befall you cos you haven't got a telly of course :smile: .

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

No reason to celebrate but thank feck it’s Friday :-bd

Been a long week but on the upside, it went very fast
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Team Landslide wins the video pub quiz!
:-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just done an epic bike ride which was epic. Soon to be doing a further epic bike ride and then having an epic bivvy. Tomorrow is going to be epic. Currently drinking beer.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Presumably......?

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Got the gardening jobs out of the way then this:-

...all afternoon. :grin: Not all good though. The smell of the blossom was overpowering and the bees kept up this infernal humming. And I had no beers.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

CANS?!
How dare you!
Actually I do have cans but they are for when things get desperate
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:33 pm Got the gardening jobs out of the way then this:-

...all afternoon. :grin: Not all good though. The smell of the blossom was overpowering and the bees kept up this infernal humming. And I had no beers.
I am jealous of your lovely garden!
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm CANS?!
How dare you!
Actually I do have cans but they are for when things get desperate
Know what you mean. How very dare I :smile: . Just sampling this rather off-the-wall beverage. As supplied to all new entrants at the pearly gates presumably. Not entirely convinced about fruit-in-beer (apologies to the whole of Belgium) but it's quite toothsome.