Shieldaig To Loch Bhaelaich?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Shieldaig To Loch Bhaelaich?

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm OK with English and Welsh OS maps - not amazing, but I know rights of ways etc. I also know that a right of way may not exist as an actual passable track, even if it's on maps. Scotland, not so much.

I've looked at the track from Sheildaig to Loch Bhealaich - it goes from a track to what I gather is a trail maybe...

Who with a bit of local knowledge knows if this is a passable route - albeit boggy, and bike pushy...

Thanks!

ScotRoutes

Re: Shieldaig To Loch Bhaelaich?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I only know the bit of the track near Sheildaig. I've walked it as part of a loop taking in the Fairy Lochs and the remains of a B24 Liberator that crashed during WW2.

Investigating these things I tend to use Bing maps aerial view and geograph.org.uk

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=9f142c8d ... orm=S00027

Bing certainly shows a good track much of the way and what appears to be a quad track thereafter.

One of the photos from geograph

Not that the path is this good the whole way, and it has been reasonably dry!
If you are in that general area it's worth remembering that the shieling at Poca Buidhe is no longer an open bothy. Shame as the ride into there from Loch Bad an Sgalaig was a beut.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey,
Thanks for the knowledge! I've just been looking at maps every night since lockdown making plans on top of plans. That' bothy looked pretty good, shame that the few spoilt it for the most.

Down at Lock Bhaelaich looks pretty nice to bivvy out at on the other hand. All plans that I hope to come back to at a later date and actually do. Even planning what bike I'd do it on. I'm not far away from planning a HT550 even if it is hypothetically.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Looking on OS maps aerial view - there actually appears to be some sort of track in close proximity to the actual os map track that I plotted

and crazy dh bike drop offs....maybe aka land slides.

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Done it :mrgreen:
In about 1997 I think. We rode into Baosbheinn via the track up to Loch na h-Oidhche from the A832, humpfed the bikes over the hill to Loch Bhaelaich and joined the trail just down from the loch and rode out on it. Its an old stalking path so was pretty rough but it went OK.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

htrider wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:58 pm Done it :mrgreen:
In about 1997 I think. We rode into Baosbheinn via the track up to Loch na h-Oidhche from the A832, humpfed the bikes over the hill to Loch Bhaelaich and joined the trail just down from the loch and rode out on it. Its an old stalking path so was pretty rough but it went OK.

Great stuff mate. Appreciate the input. My list of places to see is growing and growing.