Will this work?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Will this work?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Aside from the mud issues (might have to be a kleen kanteen or similar water bottle to ensure no actual b.d.o.n* spout to get clogged) which the little one refuses to accept. Seems clearance might be ok but I don't plan to use them adaptors as it would mean the bittle sricks out farther than needed...

Plan is to use some sort of rivets (hopefully someone will advise on rivets as well as drillbit grade to make a nice hole in Isla alu) and then attach a bittle cage in there.

Thanks in advance...

* B!don translates to 'piss' in Stus Concise Dictionary and Thesaurus :smile:
Bearlegged

Re: Will this work?

Post by Bearlegged »

While it looks to fit there, you may also want to consider is there space enough for it to move forward when being removed from the cage.
Moving away from the question of "Will it fit?", I'd question whether it's a useful place for a kid. While under the downtube is an option for a "spare" bottle, it's not one that tends to be used when actually riding.
As an alternative, how about a stem cell style bag for it, or one of RIP's gaffa tape harnesses?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

How about a handle bar bottle mount? Cleaner, easier to reach and avoids drilling the frame :-bd .

If you use a handle bar bag, you could also fill it with sweets :-bd :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I’m sure I’ve seen a bottle cage that uses rubber straps for mounting rather than cage nuts, I’ll see if I can find it
techno

Post by techno »

MuddyPete wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:14 am How about a handle bar bottle mount? Cleaner, easier to reach and avoids drilling the frame :-bd .

If you use a handle bar bag, you could also fill it with sweets :-bd :-bd .
That sounds like a plan to me!
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fabric-bott ... 87122.html
Under the downtube is a recipe for dog shiz contamination. Trust me :shock:
redefined_cycles

Thanks folks... My little monkey salutes (well, thumbs ups) you. As it turns out I had a stem bag handy from Stus place (an Acepac). Not sure if I could have attached it any better mind...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:45 am I’m sure I’ve seen a bottle cage that uses rubber straps for mounting rather than cage nuts, I’ll see if I can find it
All sorted now Rich. The one you talk of is the Elite type thing but I didn't wanna have something sticking out farther than needed... thanks
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, the rivets you need are called Rivnuts, search on here and you'll get a couple of threads about them. We've talked about them before.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Above the top tube might be an option?

Like this:
ImageP5230397 by Dave W, on Flickr

That's held on with a Decathlon rubber cage mount thingy.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm Shaf, the rivets you need are called Rivnuts, search on here and you'll get a couple of threads about them. We've talked about them before.
Yup... I seem to remember you mentioning/teaching on them... All good for the mo as I used the stem cell trick and he's well chuffed with it. Wish he'd stop trying to be Danny Mcaskill though with his frame and handlebar cell bag :smile: ...