Tubeless tyres, when do you change?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gummikuh

Tubeless tyres, when do you change?

Post by Gummikuh »

I currently run Schwalbe Rocket Rons on my Longitude and have been very happy with them.

However, they are now two years old but do have loads of tread left. The problem is they don't seem to hold air anymore and go down after a couple of weeks, I put this down to the sheer number of punctures they must have had. I remember one canal path ride from Rugby to MK where I later pulled 26 thorns from the front tyre! I also store my bicycles inside and I always have streaks of liquid around the sidewalls and small drops on the floor, which I assume is sealant?

So my question is do I change them as I think they have too many holes, change my brand of sealant (currently Stan's race) or just carry on in happy ignorance?

Does anybody else have sealant leaking though the tyres or is it because they are in a warm room?
Keith74

Re: Tubeless tyres, when do you change?

Post by Keith74 »

Have you changed the sealant recently?

Had this problem before and just spent an afternoon cleaning out the old stuff and with new sealant in the are still going ok.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I just keep running my tyres until there's no tread - or more accurately not enough tread to perform in the conditions I expect them to. I'll top the sealant up every few months, the exact period will depend on usage and temperature but I'll also top them up about two weeks prior to an event like the WRT or BB200 just to be sure everything's OK and I've enough time to sort things out.

I've found that the tyres on a bike kept next to a radiator "weep" significantly more than one just a metre away.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My tyres weap. That's in an unheated garage. It's normal.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Way back when I did have a pair of Nobby Nics that eventually just stopped holding air. Despite new goop I think they were just so perforated, and with worn sidewalls, they still leaked. It was less hassle to slap on a new pair than deal with them every ride.

I saw that Planet X had the smorgasboard tyres dirt cheap again, my pair have been brilliant.