map subscriptions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

paramart

map subscriptions

Post by paramart »

anyone have any experience with satmap expedition 2 or can compare it to the os one, I need to update my memory map copy. i'm torn between them at the moment tia
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
fatbikephil

Re: map subscriptions

Post by fatbikephil »

Dunno about the Satmap sub but don't get viewranger as its pish. I'm going with OS this year
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm Dunno about the Satmap sub but don't get viewranger as its pish. I'm going with OS this year
What do you dislike about ViewRanger? I’ve used it both here ( OS ) and abroad and found it great. I do pay for and download the maps however.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Another vote for os here. 2.99 Web and mobile app sub per month.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I paid £19.99 for my annual OS sub.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I guess it depends on how many maps you need, but I buy the paper version map and use the scratch panel for the online code, that way I have both paper and digital versions
faustus

Post by faustus »

I paid £25 for 12 months of OS maps on viewranger, it's great. Use it for plenty of stuff apart from biking too because of offline maps and easy zooming between map scales.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:49 am I guess it depends on how many maps you need, but I buy the paper version map and use the scratch panel for the online code, that way I have both paper and digital versions
Same here.
As much as I have come to rely on digital mapping and gps bread crumb tracks I find pre planning and general browsing much more satisfying with a proper paper map.
If I had a 1.5mx1.5m computer screen that might be different :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mart

Post by Mart »

OS Maps for me Mart (£20 for the year) - the Satmap version I dabbled with for a while but just liked OS better

You can also run the OS App on your phone with same route . I only use phone in an emergency (power hungry though)
2924 miles per Gallon
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve bought OS 1:50k for almost the whole UK outright on ViewRanger over the years. Works great.

I tried an OS sub a few years back and the software was abysmal. Put me off.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:14 am
htrider wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm Dunno about the Satmap sub but don't get viewranger as its pish. I'm going with OS this year
What do you dislike about ViewRanger? I’ve used it both here ( OS ) and abroad and found it great. I do pay for and download the maps however.
I downloaded a load of maps onto the phone and took care to ensure maps overlapped (this in itself is a rubbish way of downloading maps, ie trying to highlight an area instead of just telling it to download Scotland, or whatever) but gaps started appearing in the coverage - you never notice this until you need it.... I then went back and downloaded everything again but there are still gaps.....

The version on the 'puter is also a bit below average - if you plot a route (or import a gpx) it shows every way point as a large blob with a flag on it. This makes the route indecipherable. I went through it from top to bottom looking for a way to change this but it defeated me. The screen size is also small with a lot of wasted space in the menu bar which should be map space.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

If I had a 1.5mx1.5m computer screen that might be different :grin:
43 inch 4k monitor is pretty much there - I love it in general, but going full screen when planning routes is a real "Boom!" moment!
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I like Viewranger too. Use it on everything I need to plot. I can buy OS maps for the areas I need. they're not too dear - well the 1:50k aren't anyway - and they're available off line.

'T works for me
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Is for me mart same as burton mart £20 for the year and can plan wherever I want ( not that much of it is happening at the moment mind)
paramart

Post by paramart »

thanks for the replies, os is winning,
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Bit naughty this one, but I have gone to my local library and "read" maps, but I have "noticed" the code is still often on them.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's an offer that was posted up on STW, memory maps have a sale on

£35 for 1:50k and £100 for 1:25k - https://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps/outdo ... at-britain

I also have just subscribed to trail magazine for a year (was a good offer) and that comes with 50% off an OS maps subscription

Has anyone done any GPX planning with memory map? Same for the OS maps subscription. How good is it? Wondering whether to get the OS map offer or to just buy the memory map offer. The challenge is that I do like paper maps so have a big stash of those too, but sometimes having it on my phone is a lot easier and it would also let me plan routes
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I tried the Memory Map Mac version ..urgg it was horrible.

Whilst the OS site has quirks it was much much better than MM
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good to know Dave, thank you. Your view on mapping quality is probably the most valid view point on here. I'll steer clear for now!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Has anyone done any GPX planning with memory map?
Yes but its a pretty old version of it and not sure what dave does not like though I use it on a PC

You just start a route ans click to the next point * - it hard to adjust if you want to change a point but i have not tried anything else to compare it with

* best to zoom in preety high with this but depends how accurate you want it on the ground I am really carefu laround paths crossing /taking a wrong turn much less bothered when its the only route up/round something
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:33 pm I tried the Memory Map Mac version ..urgg it was horrible.

Whilst the OS site has quirks it was much much better than MM
To be clear I am talking about the user interface not the maps. The mapping should be as up to date as OS (they license it properly).

But I found the UI clunky and zooming was weird. Just did not get on with it.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

The only problem I had with memory map was I've once had to pay to access my own maps as they changed it and now they have changed again and I'm meant to pay again to access my old maps
Tho I was tempted to buy the 50k on the stw offer

To those who use os can you use it on a laptop too or just the phone and can you create gpx routes with it to use on a garmin thanks
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:41 pm The only problem I had with memory map was I've once had to pay to access my own maps as they changed it and now they have changed again and I'm meant to pay again to access my old maps
Tho I was tempted to buy the 50k on the stw offer

To those who use os can you use it on a laptop too or just the phone and can you create gpx routes with it to use on a garmin thanks
I had the same thing with OS maps, I bought around £200 of maps only for OS to withdraw support for the iOS app, not a happy bunny.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've dug out a project I started on a while back and will finish it this time (note, not said when)

It will be a lightweight GPX editor that should run on Windows/MAC/Linux and work with OSM and Ordnance Survey maps. I'll open source the whole thing so others can work on it. I'm looking to add:-

- auto routing (for cycling) and possibly loop suggestions
- climb detection and profiling
- points of interest (cafes, accommodation, bike shops etc...)

It's going to take a while as some of the really hard things are still just as hard since I last worked on it. But at the moment track creation and editing is working pretty well and easy to use.

stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I love the "Fly Through" function for GPX routes with OS maps online. - I am using that to re-live the HT550 route. - It obviously doesn't make up for the cancellation of this year's event but helps me in to recall the experiences.