Trad Carradice saddle bags (user experience and MYOG related)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Trad Carradice saddle bags (user experience and MYOG related)

Post by jameso »

With all this extra time, the tinkering started. I made/adapted a front bag last year and really like the result so I've had a go at a front and rear set up for an upcoming audax/roadpacker frameset. ie, kit that doesn't need to be rattle-proof and has other design drivers. Made a simple rackless strap-support for an Ostrich bar box that was cheap on PX, that works well. Had an idea for a seat pack for my sleeping gear. Had a 'eureka' moment esp with the shape and fitting/strapping method, followed by crushing disappointment when fitted and testing the idea :grin:

Q - Do Carradice trad saddle bags contact the back of your leg when pedalling, when used as below?

That's probably why people use a rack or a Bagman support?

I looked at the transverse position these bags use and how they attach, I've got some bolt-on saddle loops so was thinking about how they might help (or not). I've got a system working where the bag/pack sits in a similar position but I can feel it on the back of my legs when pedalling (std saddle, std position, layback post). Not problematic, just in the 'I know it's there' way, eg when sat a bit further back and pedalling on the flat, or when my outer leg's straight heading into a corner. There's solutions, just want to avoid the weight of something like a Bagman (~350g) and wondered if, from experience, an element of this contact was ok for some riders.
redefined_cycles

Re: Trad Carradice saddle bags (user experience and MYOG related)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Answer to your Q is James... No they don't (I was amazed myself)... I have the 13L version and it looks just like the one in your pic (if a bit more weathered). I'm a convert. Might have brushed back of thigh briefly once or twice in about 200 miles of use with various loads
Captain Fizz

Post by Captain Fizz »

I've used a saddle bag for years when day riding and commuting. they just work.
Carradice are the benchmark, I love the fact that they tell you who stitched it!
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

No help, but I use a Bagman and the sport model I have weighs 430g....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The only minor issue I found with carradice saddlebags is when you come to slide off the back of the seat and the bag stops you (to be afair a seat pack can as well) Of course this only happens as you drop into a steep slope and realise you can;t get your ar*e onto the back wheel and end up teetering down, legs a flail....

I keep wondering about turning it into a bar bag
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:09 am Answer to your Q is James... No they don't (I was amazed myself)... I have the 13L version and it looks just like the one in your pic (if a bit more weathered). I'm a convert. Might have brushed back of thigh briefly once or twice in about 200 miles of use with various loads
Good to know, thanks. I suppose it might be something that you adjust for without really noticing, like bikes with minor toe overlap.
htrider wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:26 pm The only minor issue I found with carradice saddlebags is when you come to slide off the back of the seat and the bag stops you (to be afair a seat pack can as well) Of course this only happens as you drop into a steep slope and realise you can;t get your ar*e onto the back wheel and end up teetering down, legs a flail....

I keep wondering about turning it into a bar bag
They do look good as bar bags. I can't see me riding down anything steep on this particular bike though :grin: 15% local hill, max.

Alex, that's useful to know, I got 328g from their site for the sport version. It's a nice minimal rack idea but I only want to carry 900g-1kg of bivi gear on a light 700c bike so any metalwork seems a bit ott.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

jameso wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:25 pm
Alex, that's useful to know, I got 328g from their site for the sport version. It's a nice minimal rack idea but I only want to carry 900g-1kg of bivi gear on a light 700c bike so any metalwork seems a bit ott.
Ah, just realised there's the non QR version for saddles with loops on, that'd be a bit lighter (but a lot less handy IMO)

Yeah, my Barley and bagman adds 1.5k to the bike empty, some might consider that excessive :D
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

jameso wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:45 am Q - Do Carradice trad saddle bags contact the back of your leg when pedalling, when used as below?
[Barley] Yes when attached by bag loops and seatpost strap, but only lightly and I just got used to it.

No when I added the QR mount and frame.

I keep my Carradice for the memories of the rides it did years ago, but as mentioned, the weight of the thing puts me off ever using it again. Nothing modern comes close for accessibility though.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There seems to be a couple of US companies making Carradice style bags with lighter modern materials but they’re eye wateringly expensive.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:12 pm There seems to be a couple of US companies making Carradice style bags with lighter modern materials but they’re eye wateringly expensive.
Although I like my longflap camper it is heavy but so practical, it fits on by 55cm drops as a large bar bag as well, carridice also make the Lightweight Audax bag which is only 440g and a reasonable £60. With its smaller size it could work well on the front at a weight comparable to many harnesses.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

some might consider that excessive :D
Not really, not like it'd make much difference, or any. Bags/pack list is the only thing I get weight weenie about, as if I don't mind riding a heavier bike if it's all good otherwise, I just don't want to add much to it when I ride loaded? This bag idea is for a 700C bike that'll end up ~22lb, hardly light to start with.

Steve, yes the Audax lightweight is an option, nice bag. If WTB or Fabric made a saddle with loops ... I'll keep asking : )
Al

Post by Al »

jameso wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:49 am If WTB or Fabric made a saddle with loops ... I'll keep asking : )
These any use james?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s73p297 ... ebag-Loops
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thanks Al, I have some of those here, they're OK but do place the bag closer to the seatpost and the loops can end up at odd angles. Just seems daft that more saddles don't have loops, a nicer solution. There's a moulded nylon base to most of them, why not just add a loop in there? Ah well.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I quite like the carradice bike packing bag - it's just their zipped roll design with webbing straps - but hadn't thought about the audax bag - it's comparable in weight to my ortlieb harness that I've used on my drop bar bag with several extra folds on the end.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Another option for mounts is rixen kaul click fix. They do a seat post mount which is compatible with the handle bar fittings. By fitting an adapter plate sun bag can be converted.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rix ... ing-plate/

I converted a double ended drybag, to give the bag some structure I added some coraplast (the stuff ‘house for sale’ are made from) I also used a small rolltop bag on a standard handle bar bag mount.
Hundreds of off-road miles without problems and you just press a button to release.

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

jameso wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 am Thanks Al, I have some of those here, they're OK but do place the bag closer to the seatpost and the loops can end up at odd angles. Just seems daft that more saddles don't have loops, a nicer solution. There's a moulded nylon base to most of them, why not just add a loop in there? Ah well.
I tried to fit those loops before and ended up throwing then somewhere in disgust as I could not get them even half sensible. Would something like this be better? Might sit away just a little.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/car ... bag-clamp/
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oh I forgot to add my experience with the bagman support, I used the longflap on my ECR due to limited clearance, the standard bagman bounces around off-road, I picked up a now discontinued alloy bagman with support struts. You can now buy add on struts from carridice to achieve the same end.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Al wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:07 am
jameso wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:49 am If WTB or Fabric made a saddle with loops ... I'll keep asking : )
These any use james?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s73p297 ... ebag-Loops

Alternatively the bling version

https://www.hobopieces.com/product/the-restuvus

jameso

Post by jameso »

restlessshawn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 am I tried to fit those loops before and ended up throwing then somewhere in disgust as I could not get them even half sensible. Would something like this be better? Might sit away just a little.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/car ... bag-clamp/
Not seen that one, thanks - might do the trick. (edit, clearly wasn't looking that closely on their site!). I saw the bling option a while back but it was a bit £OTT : )
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I had one for my Lejog and it was great. Attached to a Brooks saddle, I used the little rack as well for support, but in the end it fell apart (pretty much at Tongue on the north cost).

Great bags for just chucking stuff in, and with the long flap it made stretching it for even more stuff particularly easy.

I managed a full weekend’s camping gear in there, including tent, bag and mat plus all my clothes.

Not very good for MTB as the weight is high up and relatively unstable by being wide out