Motorcyclists.....what ya got?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cyclepeasant

Re: Motorcyclists.....what ya got?

Post by Cyclepeasant »

All this talk of Laverda's......

Maybe I should sell the 900ss and the V11 and put a deposit on a Jota.

........ :|
Insanity over vanity
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Will try add pics later.

Started with a cg125 that I used for everything for 4 years until I got my full licence then upgraded to a Honda vfr400 nc30 and lost my licence the next day.😳😳

Got my licence back after a year and bought a Suzuki v-Strom 650 which I spent 6 months touring round Europe on.

Since then I have raced superbikes and supermotos around the uk and Ireland.Retired from racing 4 years ago and not had a bike since but seriously tempted with a project for while this lockdown continues and maybe the new royal Enfield trials bike to nip down the shops on.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Keith74 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:57 pm ... and lost my licence the next day.😳😳
:lol: :lol:

Go on, is it a good story?
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Probably all seen it,but...
Screenshot_20200416-160959.png
(351.81 KiB) Downloaded 1492 times
:cool:
Insanity over vanity
Loki

Post by Loki »

I picked up my Honda CB125R two years ago now, buying and running it was cheaper than the monthly season ticket for the train commute I was doing at the time, not to mention something to show for the £180 a month I was spending, since getting it I admit I thoroughly enjoy it, although I wish it had a little more power. I hope to pass my test this year but I have my wedding and honeymoon to pay for.

ImageUntitled by Simon Kirk, on Flickr
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:38 am
Keith74 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:57 pm ... and lost my licence the next day.😳😳
:lol: :lol:

Go on, is it a good story?
Haha i wish it was but having ridden a 125 with the throttle to the stop most places I in my wisdom thought that was how everything was to be rode.
At least the police officer was surprised that a 400cc bike could go so well and handle the roads.😂😂

Robster

Post by Robster »

After starting on a beta alp 125, a few enduros and Long distance trials. My next and only road bike is my Bandit.
She never had a proper name (everyone calls them Suzy) until it’s only continental journey so far.

Down through France and across into Italy to ride up mountain on the Stella Alpina rally.

So Stella Bee it is.

There’s a Sherco, Scorpa and a Honda CRF230 in my history too.

Would love to see Norms bikes.

Cheers Rob
paramart

Post by paramart »

my enfield Himalayan, no crosser but great allrounder
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

paramart wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:30 am my enfield Himalayan, no crosser but great allrounder
I am very tempted by the Himalayan have had 2 test rides from the local dealer, it just did everything without fuss!
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

paramart wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:30 am my enfield Himalayan, no crosser but great allrounder

Got a soft spot for a royal Enfield and was booked for a test ride but lockdown kicked in. How do you find it?

Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

A 2017 V-Strom 650 as my commuter. Got fed up with a stupidly expensive train ticket for a rubbish service.

Test rode and loved the Himalayan but my commute has until now involved a bit of the M1 and I just wanted a little extra ooomph - although I'm a potterer on a powered two wheeler as well as on a push bike!

I reckon the V-Strom is the Volvo estate of the bike world - dull but bloody competent!
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
paramart

Post by paramart »

Keith74 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am
Keith they have a few little niggles on some not all, they plod on about 65-70 mph great fuel economy and if like me chuck your gear on and go motorbike packing, 2 sites available on fb, royal Enfield himalayan owners uk, and RE Himalayan owners uk 2 good sites,
Got a soft spot for a royal Enfield and was booked for a test ride but lockdown kicked in. How do you find it?
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

paramart wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Keith74 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 am
Keith they have a few little niggles on some not all, they plod on about 65-70 mph great fuel economy and if like me chuck your gear on and go motorbike packing, 2 sites available on fb, royal Enfield himalayan owners uk, and RE Himalayan owners uk 2 good sites,
I've been bikeless for the last few years and was considering a Tenere 700 as a comeback but using the same logic as the Himalayan I'm now wondering whether a CRF250Rally wouldn't be a better option. I have no interest in going fast on main roads (hence my bike progression went Aprilia Mille, VFR800, KTM690SM). I know a 250 (and a low powered one at that) isn't going to set my pants on fire but it'd still hustle on winding Scottish backroads, have great mpg, cheap insurance and fairly low purchase price. When you look what Ed March has done on a C90 I don't think touring would be out of the question either (using my lightweight bikepacking gear and know how).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm not been aware of the CRF 250 rally - looks pretty smart. I love trail bikes and it does annoy me that things like DRZ's are no longer available. When Honda launched the road version of the CRF450X I thought I'd found my next bike - but then saw the price..... I've been idly looking at the husky 701's but they seem a bit much....
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:38 pm Hmm not been aware of the CRF 250 rally - looks pretty smart. I love trail bikes and it does annoy me that things like DRZ's are no longer available. When Honda launched the road version of the CRF450X I thought I'd found my next bike - but then saw the price..... I've been idly looking at the husky 701's but they seem a bit much....

Yeah it's quite intriguing eh? It's the CBR 250 engine so longer service intervals than posh off road bikes and apparently they're pretty bulletproof and can be revved mercilessly to achieve main road speeds with no issues. There's a guy on ADVrider and Youtube known as Minkyhead who swapped the engine in one of his 250 rallys (he has two) for the engine out of a crashed CBR300 which drops straight in. His videos are quite interesting and he's given his bikes a real test and swears by them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m83ljKvJo10
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer here.
Same as others as its main purpose is for commuting.

A lot more fun than sitting in the car, although its not getting much use at the moment :cry:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Motorbike graveyard in the back corner of the shed

1954 Velocette MAC - my sons
199* Honda CBR RR Gul Arm (whatever that is) - other sons
1976 Honda SS50 - My daughters
1957 BSA C12 - Mine

Last but not least, in another shed:-
From 1972
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fond memories of hooning round the fields on a 5 speed SS50 ... if ever she wants to sell it Lu.
May the bridges you burn light your way
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Ha!

I had an SS50 in my youth...

Endearing looks, rather than beautiful I would say...

All this talk of motorbikes is making that itch come back :cool:

Si
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

FATF
BOND BUG!!
When was that last used!
Last one I saw running was about 2000!
Any thoughts on a resurrection?
My brother owned an ss50.
We tried to graft on a c90 head,barrel and piston,... wasn't going to happen!
However,we got a C70 head,barrel and piston to fit literally straight on!
The performance gains were... marginal!
Re the gull arm on the cb400rr. It refers to the arched swingarm as opposed to most bikes with a parallel swing arm.
Insanity over vanity
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:18 pm Fond memories of hooning round the fields on a 5 speed SS50 ... if ever she wants to sell it Lu.
'S only got 4 gears. I had a fire in the (cow) shed that it lived in and it's got a bit of heat damage at the front end. Melted the headlamp shell, fork Gaiters and front tyre The fire did for my first Bond bug at the same time. My first field hooner was a 1938 Norton Model 50. Bought it with my mate back in 1961 or 2. Lost touch with said friend, but still got the bike (in bits).

Cyclepeasant wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:44 am FATF
BOND BUG!!
When was that last used!
Last one I saw running was about 2000!
Any thoughts on a resurrection?
About ten years ago - maybe less. It was going to be a retirement project, but then I didn't retire. it was taken off the road because there were holes in the chassis and it wouldn't have passed an MOT. One day... :roll:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bought it with my mate back in 1961 or
My first bike was bought with a mate, a Bultaco trails bike, honestly the piston/bore clearance was like a pick in a bucket. Our local motor bike shop was one of those proper bike shops.
Owner looks like Ron haslem, gentle aroma of petroleum and grease. When we showed up he immediately said “ I used to know your mum back in the day”
Any way he discreetly rebored it and had a private chat with my mom before he let it out the shop.
You don’t get that service now.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark