Lockdown lust

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: Lockdown lust

Post by Mike »

Those there gravel bikes arnt just for gravel, damn i love thrashing mine around the woods in dirt. Yeah its good on gravel but so is my stooge! I think of mine more of a road bike that i can take off road....lots :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mike wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 am Those there gravel bikes arnt just for gravel, damn i love thrashing mine around the woods in dirt. Yeah its good on gravel but so is my stooge! I think of mine more of a road bike that i can take off road....lots :-bd
I've got a CX bike that does exactly the same thing but in a less trendy way.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

#gradventourer
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Pirahna wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:10 am
Mike wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:48 am Those there gravel bikes arnt just for gravel, damn i love thrashing mine around the woods in dirt. Yeah its good on gravel but so is my stooge! I think of mine more of a road bike that i can take off road....lots :-bd
I've got a CX bike that does exactly the same thing but in a less trendy way.
Same here I was just trying to sound like one of the cool kids.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I just want a hard tail to complement the gradventourer - preferably a steel one. Got my eye on either a big bro or the stooge ‘adventure’ that he keeps on dropping hints about on Instagram
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Niiiice - I already have a 29plus - but man, there's something about stoogezszs
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think if you live near loads of gravel* they must be perfect and great to own but where i Live a gravel bike is either a poor road bike or a poor MTB - its the fastest bike i own for the canal towpaths I never ride.
The desire to turn a sub optimal bike into an even more sub optimal one - Sean yes I am looking at you :wink: - just seems nuts

The 45 mile loop i do is the same time on a MTB as my cross bike with the ups being faster on the CX and the downs faster on the MTB.If you want to ride fast up hill and then slow downhill then I dont think you have understood MTB .Must be at least two years snce it went proper off road on mine

YMMV
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 am The desire to turn a sub optimal bike into an even more sub optimal one - Sean yes I am looking at you :wink: - just seems nuts
You could be right, perhaps it should be fixed to really tick all the niche boxes :lol:

A bit of googling has found the Pauls Components make a fixed, disc hub in mtb spacing, but it's on the pricy side.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I followed round ed [ fromEd bikes] on a fixed gear SS at last years SSUK - not because i could not pass him but because it was one of the funniest things i have ever seen in my life the two best bits

1. Watching him try to line up for a small [ rollable] drop of about three feet to avoid pedal strokes

2.Bike in a rut and ED literally lifting the bike as his pedals hit the ground - big strong lad who is good at swearing

On that basis I think you should definetly do it :-bd

Fair play to him he cleaned a lap-his second I think- not sure he would have described it as fun though
Boab

Post by Boab »

My problem with lusting after stuff, is it all depends on what I'm doing. Last year it was wetsuit, then the gravel bike. Earlier this year it was all the kit needed for bikepacking and the events I was going to do. I did have a spreadsheet for spec'ing out a titanium framed, Lauf forked, 3" tyred bikepacking bicycle, but deleted it. I've now got one for cobbling together a vinyl cleaning setup, so I can clean all my vinyl and listen to it while working in the shed. When we come out of lockdown and I can go on longer rides, then I'm sure I may start looking for a slightly bouncier bikepacking bike again... 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I keep thinking about riniging my mate up and borrowing 1k to buy that Salsa gravelly in the classifieds. Means I have a Salsa and with discs and in carbon at a dirt cheap price.

But then that brings me back to the n+1 addition of which I'm trying to get out of. Another thing putting me off is the SRAM drivetrain... I hate (maybe too strong a term) SRAM for drivetrains!!

Have gravel woukd mean I dont need to think twice and thrice before going off road for them sections that the longer last minute road routes throw out at you...

:smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Last year it was wetsuit, then the gravel bike
that is some serious preparation for the BB200 going on there fella :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’m lusting after the free stuff, like watching the sun go down in the hills

Or riding through amazing valleys

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

yeah, there is that. Freedom is my most wished for thing right now.
Boab

Post by Boab »

We've chatted about this as a family, and for me the conclusion wasn't anything big or special. I think we just all miss being able to do what we want, when we want. The first thing I do when we come out of lockdown probably wont be a big fancy bike ride, it'll be having some friends round for beer and bubbles and being able to hug them when they come in the door.
Last edited by Boab on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
First thing I’ll be doing after lock down is palming the mini-voodoo off to my parents* and heading to the hills :lol:

*Being serious, this is the exact plan :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i am heading to the hills and the route and location is set

They are the friends i want to party with and hug most.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Hah, if I tried palming my kids off to my parents, they’d be the ones heading to the hills as fast as they can :grin:
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I have been going through this too... I was close to buying a Krampus, then looked at a Broken Road; but then I go out on my daily Pugsley ride and realise that it is almost perfect... It is a bike that you can just ride anywhere and it's always fun. Trouble is I then think about trying the new Pugsley. The main thing is that I rarely lust after a new bike when I'm riding the Pug.... That says it all I guess.

When that's over I start looking at Kayaks.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'm lusting after trangia bit I haven't got and paramo stuff lol
Also those salsas in classifieds and my mates anthem 29er that's not for sale
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I keep feeling the same about a Trek Farley and a OnOne fatty - thinking as much as I don't like OnOne as a company, if they made a new fat bike, I'd consider that too.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:45 am I keep feeling the same about a Trek Farley and a OnOne fatty - thinking as much as I don't like OnOne as a company, if they made a new fat bike, I'd consider that too.
I know OO these days (and perhaps back in the day) were/are not regarded as hanging at the avant guard end of customer service but my series one OO Fatty with the original twin spar frame is simply the best bike Ive ever owned. It cost about £900 nearly a decade ago and just makes me smile every ride. I've got three wheel sets for it - 26x3.8, 27.5x3 and 29x2.4 and I swap them depending on my muse and the mud levels.

I was out on it today with the 29'ers as the trails are all dry and dusty and fast. It's a bloody hoot.

Get one.
I'm just going outside ...
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I never knew you could fit that many wheelsets to the fatty mmm...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:45 am I keep feeling the same about a Trek Farley and a OnOne fatty - thinking as much as I don't like OnOne as a company, if they made a new fat bike, I'd consider that too.
I know OO these days (and perhaps back in the day) were/are not regarded as hanging at the avant guard end of customer service but my series one OO Fatty with the original twin spar frame is simply the best bike Ive ever owned. It cost about £900 nearly a decade ago and just makes me smile every ride. I've got three wheel sets for it - 26x3.8, 27.5x3 and 29x2.4 and I swap them depending on my muse and the mud levels.

I was out on it today with the 29'ers as the trails are all dry and dusty and fast. It's a bloody hoot.

Get one.
Yeah I had one of the original OOFs as well. I still have the frame and forks in the loft waiting to be built back up as a loaner bike for any friends who are fatty curious (I've been squirreling away parts for a while and now have everything I need).
Regarding lockdown lust, I've already succumbed to upgrading my Sonder Camino Al frameset (which I really like) for the V2 Ti version. I managed to get it with 10% off in last weekends special offer so am quite chuffed at that. Not sure how long delivery will take (it's not been dispatched yet) but it's something nice to look forward to. :cool:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm thinking ill stumble into a large oof when it's ready for me.

I'm liking the camino ti. If the broken road is anything to go by, then the camino will be amazing.