Motorcyclists.....what ya got?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Motorcyclists.....what ya got?

Post by Jurassic pusher »

I know it`s not a bikepacking topic but then who`s bikepacking at the moment anyway??
I have ridden motorbikes since 15 yo (first year around fields)and had quite a few over the years, my current bike is a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE, it too is in the shed gathering dust (on a trickle charger)
It would be interesting to see if many bikepackers are also bikers.
DSCF2181.JPG
(136.2 KiB) Downloaded 1466 times
Last edited by Jurassic pusher on Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Re: Motorcyclists.....what ya got?

Post by benp1 »

CBR1000RR fireblade here

Took it off the road a year ago as wasn't riding it. Was planning to stick it back on the road now, even booked a track day on the GP circuit at Silverstone. Track day postponed and now not going to bother putting the bike back on the road as I can't ride it now
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Velocette Venom and project Death Trap. Dee's Z650 is also sat here. My brother has an ES2 and a T140 which appear to go into joint ownership when they need looking at. :roll:

Absolutely no interest in anything post 1990. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Currently a 1999 Suzuki SV650.

Got back to motorbikes after a 25-30 year hiatus. I'll pop up some photos of previous bikes later.
Jurassic pusher

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 am Velocette Venom and project Death Trap. Dee's Z650 is also sat here. My brother has an ES2 and a T140 which appear to go into joint ownership when they need looking at. :roll:

Absolutely no interest in anything post 1990. :wink:
My Dad had a Velocette Venom, I remember the Number plate was 127 BON, not yours by any chance?
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

1970s 750 Laverda at back of shed awaiting resurrection, owned since I was 18
(I’m a hoarder. When I met my other half 20 years ago I had to get rid of a few as when I moved into her house she drew the line at bikes in the house. When we met, I had a Suzuki Enduro bike in the kitchen and the Ducati lived in the main hallway)

93 Ducati 900ss, last of the carbureted models, bored out to 944, pistons and breathing improved, has to be heard - or Felt. It’s also at back of garage awaiting resurrection. Stu, you say nothing post 1990 but you’d love this thing I bet.

98 Honda XR 400 with improved breathing and suspenders.

61 C15 trials iron - seemed a good idea at the time, but blimey was metal heavier in the 60s or what.

and two years ago I bought a modern Suzuki 650 - I have developed too much self preservation to ride the likes of the Ducati now - it’s not quick by modern standards, but it doesn’t really get into its stride until just past the legal limit. In the 80s I rode the Laverda all over Europe and used to carry enough kit to do an oil and filter change mid trip, a spare clutch cable, a spare piston, and a shed load of tools. On the modern Suzuki I’ve ridden to bottom of France and back and the maintenance was to lube the chain once. Different world these days.
Jurassic pusher

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 am Currently a 1999 Suzuki SV650.

Got back to motorbikes after a 25-30 year hiatus. I'll pop up some photos of previous bikes later.
Looks like it sounds nice! Not stock pipe?
Jurassic pusher

tobasco wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:04 pm 1970s 750 Laverda at back of shed awaiting resurrection, owned since I was 18
(I’m a hoarder. When I met my other half 20 years ago I had to get rid of a few as when I moved into her house she drew the line at bikes in the house. When we met, I had a Suzuki Enduro bike in the kitchen and the Ducati lived in the main hallway)

93 Ducati 900ss, last of the carbureted models, bored out to 944, pistons and breathing improved, has to be heard - or Felt. It’s also at back of garage awaiting resurrection. Stu, you say nothing post 1990 but you’d love this thing I bet.

98 Honda XR 400 with improved breathing and suspenders.

61 C15 trials iron - seemed a good idea at the time, but blimey was metal heavier in the 60s or what.

and two years ago I bought a modern Suzuki 650 - I have developed too much self preservation to ride the likes of the Ducati now - it’s not quick by modern standards, but it doesn’t really get into its stride until just past the legal limit. In the 80s I rode the Laverda all over Europe and used to carry enough kit to do an oil and filter change mid trip, a spare clutch cable, a spare piston, and a shed load of tools. On the modern Suzuki I’ve ridden to bottom of France and back and the maintenance was to lube the chain once. Different world these days.
No bikes in the house ! Whats wrong with the woman!!??
I remember riding my 125 to Falmouth, seemed a long ride and I took just about every tool I could carry and didn`t need any of them :roll:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I’ve always liked the idea of living in a large garage with a mezzanine bedroom above the toys.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Whilst we’re doing bikes, anyone got a tip for clearing a gummed up petrol tap? It’s the Honda, tap has sat for years and is gummed. I could drill the rivets out but if there’s a solvent out there it could save some pain
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My Dad had a Velocette Venom, I remember the Number plate was 127 BON, not yours by any chance?
No, not mine.
I probably would. Always had a little soft spot for Ducati - I recall riding a 916 and RC30 back to back and was way more impressed by the Ducati. It just seemed to push you forward at a frightening rate with no effort. I also once turned down a job offer from Steve Wynn, I'm sure my life would be much more Ducati flavoured had I not. :wink:
Whilst we’re doing bikes, anyone got a tip for clearing a gummed up petrol tap? It’s the Honda, tap has sat for years and is gummed. I could drill the rivets out but if there’s a solvent out there it could save some pain
I'd bang it in the ultrasonic cleaner.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:06 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 am Currently a 1999 Suzuki SV650.

Looks like it sounds nice! Not stock pipe?
It's sporty without being over-loud. No idea what make it is though.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Currently no bikes but have been into bikes since I was a kid (rode schoolboy trials). Last bike was a KTM 690supermoto but I sold it as I only did 600 miles on it the last year I owned it. It was an absolute riot to ride but back tyres used to last less than 2000 miles! I had one of those SV 650s like Scotroutes (but mine was the S version with the fairing). Might treat myself to a Tenere 700 if I make it through to retirement in four years time. Also quite fancied getting a pre-unit Enfield and building it into a retro adventure bike using some of the offroady bits that are available for them. We shall see. 🙂
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Currently on an 8 year hiatus though was very tempted to get something this year though this is probably out now . Did fancy a classic project but prices are just nuts :(

Never owned a bike newer than 1991 and that was a zephyr so quite retro when it came out and I didn’t buy it till 2010.

Best bike ever owned z650b1 which I sold to buy the worst bike I ever owned t140 chopper
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I started with a Honda CG125 (single cylinder 4-stroke). I only bought it because I couldn't drive and wanted my own transport. It was a stop-gap until I could get driving lessons and a car. i didn't know anyone who had a bike and had no previous interest. The day I picked it up from the shop, the guy strapped on some L plates, showed me the controls, started it for me, and walked back inside. Without any training, I was now on the roads. I managed to gt it half way home before I stalled it and then pushed the rest of the way. Within a couple of weeks, I was making 8 mile round trips to the borders and within a couple of months I had started strapping on a tent/sleeping bat etc and heading off to the Highlands.

(Not mine but it looked like this)

I was starting to get a bit "aggressive" with it and came off a couple of times when cornering as the stand would dig into the road. I partially resolved that by taking a saw to it!

Once I passed my test, I bought a Suzuki GS400. Much nicer thing to ride. came from the first wave of Suzuki 4 strokes. Did lots more camping etc with it. It was eventually written off after I hit an oil patch in the middle of Perth and slid off. As I bent over to pick the bike up I noticed some flames licking towards it and scarpered. I never did receive a bill from the council for the burnt tarmac ;-)

That's my bike on the right
ImageLoch Lomond by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

To replace the GS400, I bought a GS750. The best deal was a shop in London so I got the train down and the "sleeper train" back (it had a big guards van). I only had a seat, there was no heating and it was November. Possibly the most miserable nights travel I've ever had. I started to get a lot further though, including to the south of France for the Bol d'Or.

ImageContin - Riverside Campsite by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

My eye was then taken by things Italian. There were a few 500 V-twins around, including a Morini. They had a fantastic little 350 and made a 500 based on that.

ImageMorini by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It was beautiful to ride, but.... I was travelling up the M6 near Penrith when the engine just went BANG!. Turned out the rear piston had launched itself. Warranty job then....

Got it fixed. A few months later I was riding it back from Glasgow on the M8 and BANG! again. Back for warranty. The explanation I was later given was that the fuel balance pipe between the two carbs was too small in diameter and the rear would run lean as a result. The solution was to have both the main and reserves taps switched on. In any case, I no longer had any faith in it, so moved on....

While the warranty work was being done, I bought myself a Suzuki RV125.

Yes, it's a fatbike!!!

Having enjoyed the Morini (when it worked) I set my sights on a Mk 2 Le Mans. A mate and I went up to Fife for a test ride day. He took out a Ducati Darmah and I took the Le Mans. Half way round, we swapped. We both bought Darmahs.

Imageimg008 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

That's it with a Dunstall fairing I painted up to match.

That's me airborne on the old road near Arisiag.

Really lovely bike. Did another trip to France with it and we visited the Ducati factory after the Bol d'Or. They treated us like kings, giving us a tour, a lunch and both bikes got a free service with new chain, sprockets etc.

I was then living in London and the bike not getting used much so it succumbed to the legendary Ducati rot when sitting outside. So, I started thinking a bot a replacement.

Suzuki had just appeared at one of the bike shows with this outrageous looking silver 1100. They'd only planned it as a concept/show bike but the reaction was so good they decided to put it into production.

ImageKat-Crop by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It's really impossible to describe the reaction the Katana got. I could leave it parked somewhere and it would stop folk in their tracks. Just passers-by, not necessarily motorbike folks. Did my fastest ever road speed with this. After a night shift (back in Edinburgh by now) I took it onto the "yet to be completed" Edinburgh bypass and saw (indicated) 140mph.

Then I got married.

Motorbiking became less and less a thing for me so I decided I wanted more of an occasional toy.

The Suzuki 250 Gamma was a proper buzz-bomb. You could thrash it all day without necessarily going at hyper-speed and it would sail around the inside or outside of much bigger, faster bikes. It led to some friendly "competition" when out with mates. It was too "buzzy" for longer trips though and I started to hanker after something else.

I ended up up with another Ducati. Got a deal on a Pantah 600. (unfortunately I can't find any photos of it but looked like this)

It had an after-market exhaust that was loud in this country and completely blew the minds of the very-strict Germans when I had it across there.

And then , the last one before I jacked it all in

(again- not mine).

Smooooth as silk, but seemed to have lost something from the older, air-cooled Ducatis. I think I had it for three years then, when the insurance reminder came in one year, I realised I'd only ridden it maybe 3 or 4 times since the last year. I'd moved on to hillwalking/Munro bagging and just didn't need one more expensive toy in my garage.
FLV

Post by FLV »

KTM990 adv R here. Cant do photos withput firing up the work laptop so will put one in tomorrow.

Really like that trumpet.

Got a real hankering for an Enfield which is what i relearnt on (india) after only ever riding 125s round a mates farm previously (as a kid obviously)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Nothing. Not now.

We always rode bikes when we were kids, starting with mini-bikes around the paddock, ag-bikes chasing horses and cows, trail bikes for jumps n grins n busted teeth. When I started to pose as a mild-mannered reporter for a major metropolitan daily newspaper, they indulged me with a bi-weekly motorcycle test column (Behind The Bars, Melbourne Herald) and I spent a jubilant four years riding the latest and greatest from 1986-1990.

The FZR1000 Yammie in 1987 was a highlight. At the time it was the fastest thing on two wheels.

I am, today, ashamed to say I topped it out at 160mph on the Princes Freeway between Melbourne and Geelong. It was 3am and the only traffic I saw in 40 miles was a truck ... which appeared out of nowhere in my headlight and scared the beejeezus out of me as I passed it within inches. Later, I realised it was probably doing the 60mph speed limit and, had I hit it, it would have been like hitting a wall at 100mph. I kinda slowed down after that.

All of which leads to this. In all that time, the one bike I didn't want to give back was the 1996 Honda XBR500. It was bloody lovely. Four valve single pot with a dry sump. Supremely comfortable, semi-sport riding stance and the loudest horn on anything I've ever ridden. The early one I rode had the shitty Comstar wheels. Later models came with spoked (spoked!!!!) wheels.

I have been searching the classifieds for a nearby early model XBR500 for two years. I've seen four or five in that time, but they're always just a bit not right. When I find the one, I will have it.
I'm just going outside ...
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Ktm 950 Adventure with the Gauliose kit on and a Husaberg FE390 the 70 degree engine one which is much to powerful full me but I do like it.
What's the worst than can happen?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Brilliant Colin, some quality machines and pics there :-bd
Right then.....
Current stable:-
Ariels twa:-
'49 VG500 - think all iron thumper capable of riding all day at 50-55. Handles very nicely thanks to a stiff frame and no rear suspension.... Been a round the highlands a fair bit and also rode it to Middle Germany and back for the Ariel OC annual rally in 2010. Currently running but the crappy tank sealant I used to seal up the old tank has gone all gungy and keeps causing the inlet valve to stick open. I have another tank but it needs brazing which I was in the process of getting organised before lockdown KO'd......

'60 HT (aka Hunter trials) which was one of the last to be thrown together out of the factory comp shop one year after they officially stopped making them. Never actually trialed it but rode it all over Scotland and the IOM. Currently in bits undergoing a leisurely tart up

Plus an extremely ratty DRZ400s which has been my faithfull winter hack for the last few years.
Here in an earlier guise, now similar with a lot more rust and a very loud engine

BMW1200GS - bought when I had a full time pillion and used for many tours around the UK. A bit big and heavy for one these days and I keep thinking of downsizing but I've owned it from new, I now do all the servicing and it owes me nowt so will probably stick with it. Its also handy for bicycle lugging:-

Previously owned a Greeves Scottish and a couple of BSA B40's on which I did pre 65 trials, A horrible BSA 650 thunderbolt and a lovely Triumph trophy which I thrashed all over the country and I'm putting feelers out to buy back from its current owner....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also quite fancied getting a pre-unit Enfield and building it into a retro adventure bike using some of the offroady bits that are available for them
Have a look at last months Classic Motorcycle.

Gotta love a Kat' Colin. Built a few for folk over the years and wanted to keep every one.

Triumph looks very nice Phil.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

There are some nice bikes for sure i have a few the most modern is a 2000 Triumph Sprint i also have a 1978 Yamaha XS 750 which i have had since new its been like so many stuck in the back of a garage for years i keep meaning to get on with sorting it out but end up building older british bikes of which i have quite as few .
The BSA is a Gold Flash which i have had since 1980 but only built it in 1999 been to a Rally in Spain on it two up with luggage and it did struggle on the twisty roads in the Picos so managed to aquire the Norton as a basket case and built it up to do the load lugging its a great bike to ride .
A Rocket Goldstar replica which i built and sold to fund the building of another one which is underway now as i dont have much else to do most of the work has been done so just a case of assembling the bits !
A BSA A65 Lightening Rocket i bought it as a basket case to build a flat tracker turned out to be quite a rare model so spent a fortune importing bits back from the States to restore it . After a long period of time and much swearing i finally managed to get the bastard to start on a reasonably regular basis .
There are more, 3 BSA's to rebuild or sell an Ariel 350 still its something to do :???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That RGS is lovely :-bd

When I left my old life behind, I left mostly everything so don't have many pictures but I do still have a copy of this. Big air cooled kwaks and suzukis were really my bread and butter and this is probably the third to last that I built. Although, this has reminded me that there's a 1260cc Lawson rep under a cover in the barn :wink:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:16 pm The FZR1000 Yammie in 1987 was a highlight. At the time it was the fastest thing on two wheels.

I am, today, ashamed to say I topped it out at 160mph
My boss had one when I was 17, had just progressed from a DT125 to a VF400 two weeks earlier when he chucked me the keys and said take it for a spin. I think he meant around the block but I took it up the M20 in Kent and maxed it :-bd
Lots of LC’s came next and I got into serious tuning of them. My favourite bike was probably the CR500 which I built after seeing the first supermoto race in the UK at lyden hill circuit. It really was a work of art and extremely anti social/ dangerous. Ran it on a false plate for a while but sold it before it did me an injury.
Last bike was a Bandit 1200, wore through the standard can by decking it out :lol: Stuck a micron on it plus renthals, sorted the front forks and proceeded to ride it like a large motor cross bike.

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve had anything now, think I may have grown out of them.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Jurassic pusher

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:45 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:16 pm The FZR1000 Yammie in 1987 was a highlight. At the time it was the fastest thing on two wheels.

I am, today, ashamed to say I topped it out at 160mph
My boss had one when I was 17, had just progressed from a DT125 to a VF400 two weeks earlier when he chucked me the keys and said take it for a spin. I think he meant around the block but I took it up the M20 in Kent and maxed it :-bd
Lots of LC’s came next and I got into serious tuning of them. My favourite bike was probably the CR500 which I built after seeing the first supermoto race in the UK at lyden hill circuit. It really was a work of art and extremely anti social/ dangerous. Ran it on a false plate for a while but sold it before it did me an injury.
Last bike was a Bandit 1200, wore through the standard can by decking it out :lol: Stuck a micron on it plus renthals, sorted the front forks and proceeded to ride it like a large motor cross bike.

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve had anything now, think I may have grown out of them.
Sounds like you quit whilst you were ahead! :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 pm That RGS is lovely :-bd

When I left my old life behind, I left mostly everything so don't have many pictures but I do still have a copy of this. Big air cooled kwaks and suzukis were really my bread and butter and this is probably the third to last that I built. Although, this has reminded me that there's a 1260cc Lawson rep under a cover in the barn :wink:
I think I bought that copy of BSH!