Video Editing Software

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Video Editing Software

Post by sean_iow »

Having got my GoPro working and with some more time on my hands, and inspired by the films people here are making, I though I would have a go at making some short films myself.

All I want to do is extract sections from video files and join them together and then add some music. A title at the beginning and credits at the end would also be nice along with simple affects when transitioning from clips.

The software will preferably need to be free if possible as the budget for this is £0

So what software do you use/recommend?

And, how do you make those cool time-lapse clips? The sort where you out a bivi up and get set up in 30 seconds.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Re: Video Editing Software

Post by voodoo_simon »

iMovie works well but I’m guessing you’re not on a mac?

Cool time lapses can easily be done via the phone, will do all the filming and the ‘lapsing’ in one hit
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I remember iMovie now. When I first got the GoPro my works computer was a macbook and that's what I would use, I have an understanding boss. The camera's a Hero 2 so you can gauge how long ago that was :grin:

I've now got a Surface Laptop2 running windows 10. It's also work's but I'm sure the boss wont mind me using it :wink:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I used to use Windows Movie Maker which is free. Its a good bit of software especially for starting off as its simple to use.
However You can film with just your phone nowadays and edit on yer phone but WMM is a way to go imo
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers, I'll have a look a Movie Maker. I found an app called Video on my laptop, it must come with Windows 10, and I've managed to trim some test clips and join them together.

I guess the quality of the content will have the biggest affect on the output, me peddling around the block isn't quite the same as riding in the mountains of Snowdonia :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't think Windows Movie Maker is a thing in Windows 10. The Video Editor is what replaced it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Also interested since I seem to end up recording more video these days.

I've used the Video app on my Windows 10 work laptop, once I found it - it's well hidden. It's pretty limited and not the most intuitive, but it does the basic stuff.

Would love to find an open-source equivalent similar to Audacity but for video.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:08 am Would love to find an open-source equivalent similar to Audacity but for video.
I used openshot to make my "vlog" and I hadn't touched video editing since 2005 and adobe premier elements when I was in secondary school then.
Very simple and easy to use, took me very little time to work out how to put together something acceptable to view (but it's no fully fledged proper film makers software).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Zippy wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:07 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:08 am Would love to find an open-source equivalent similar to Audacity but for video.
I used openshot to make my "vlog" and I hadn't touched video editing since 2005 and adobe premier elements when I was in secondary school then.
Very simple and easy to use, took me very little time to work out how to put together something acceptable to view (but it's no fully fledged proper film makers software).
Thanks Zip, looks like it will probably do everything I'll ever need, is pretty lightweight, and cross-platform to boot.
Matt

Post by Matt »

DaVinci is great
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks Zip. Just had a chance to download openshot and have a play. From the 3 short bit of video I had to play with I've trimmed them up, arranged them in order and even added a fade between them without too much difficulty. It looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for :-bd