BB200 - your favourite bits.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

BB200 - your favourite bits.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, perhaps a contradiction in terms but bear with it.

Fingers crossed that things will have settled down by Autumn because this year is the 10th anniversary of the BB200 and it'd be nice for it to go ahead. Usually I'd begin the long process of finding sections of unrideable trail and really steep hills to include in the route around now. However, given the currect situation, that's not possible, so over the last 9 years what have been your favourite bits of the BB200 ... aside from the finish?

Caution: They say be careful what you wish for, so perhaps avoid taking the p1ss with your answers too much. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Re: BB200 - your favourite bits.

Post by Dyffers »

Original route with a different last third please; no carnau and road afterwards.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

God... that's a hard task. I can barely remember the horrific bits, let alone the good bits!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having only done two it might be useful to have some links to RideWithGPS, Strava or whatever showing where they go.

Annoyingly this year is one of the years I can make it.

I quite liked the BW from the Elan Valley over Llofftyddgleison towards Llangurig.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Al

Post by Al »

Track from happy valley over to bryncrug.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

The Community centre in the middle of the night 2016 edition :-bd
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

The drop into Barmouth and across the estuary on the 2014 version was great.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I quite liked the Strata Florida in the middle of the night.

I think that was my first BB200 in 2013...

I may be wrong though! It's a bit of a blur!

Si
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I always enjoy the trundles round the lakes and reservoirs. Love the NCN climb prior to Dolgellau and trip round to Barmouth.

Anything proper scenic and not thrutchy
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

What a great question! I'm keen to try the original route as I only did it the once. Be interesting to see if I'm faster/slower than in 2013? :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

mje25 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:06 pm The drop into Barmouth and across the estuary on the 2014 version was great.
I can still smell my brakes! :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Pizza at Barmouth.

Rich telling me I have broke its back at Barmouth.

Thinking 12 hours on Rich may have lied.

Seeing my wife at the end.

Getting to the end.

To name a few. It was good fun.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stu.. if there is one event in the whole of the uk and one person to pull it off ethically then BB201 would be the one and you're the man to do it.

You understand totally the concept of self isolating and seems you and dee have been in self isolation for quite a number of years (my attempt at a joke but..)...

If it was me (and I wont be riding any Audax group starts with sleepovers at all any time this year or possibly ever) I'd be thinking how you/we could run the event in a way that staying a bit farther apart is followed in concept at least (regardless of if the law says so or not at the time) and maybe omit the whole idea of hiring a community centre... Maybe a sports field somewhere with no shelter :-bd and loud speaker thingy (whats that tannoy thing called agaun that you talk into and it shouts at people :lol:

I look forward to it indeed
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I appreciate exactly what you're saying Shaf but I think we all need something to look forward to. The 200 isn't for another 7 months. I honestly believe that if we're still in lock-down by then without major social and economic changes have taken place, then we're all doomed anyway :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:51 pm I appreciate exactly what you're saying Shaf but I think we all need something to look forward to. The 200 isn't for another 7 months. I honestly believe that if we're still in lock-down by then without major social and economic changes have taken place, then we're all doomed anyway :wink:
Stu... I think my message must have become mingled. I meant I'm sure it could run and I'd be up for it...

I got what you mean about it running as the standard setup though as (my personal initial) projections of a full year aqay from group organised rides etc might have been a bit far fetched... Anyway, I'll look forward to waking up early (or keeping a day off work) to grab a golden ticket when its out. Better still, what an amazing year for BB200ing with the other thread asking for peoples 'fun/nice sections'...

Must go an add mine now!
redefined_cycles

Oh.. sorry. Thats this thread.

Mine (only done 2019) was the ling draggy HAB section and crossing the river bit and...

The world cup DH section was nice aswell but a bit too scray for me and a couple of moments that I had to stop and think how I'm gonna decent like a proper mountain climber. Dunno how others just went straight down. Mayne my tires were a bit too slippery!... I'd much rather not have to go through that again.

But also tge sections before the DH world cup section. The ones with the massive ruts and floods. That was lovely but if only there'd not been so much swimming involved
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only done one.

Favourite riding bit was Offas Dyke. Quite apart from the fact it was airy and had the best views, I'm really into old tracks so this one tickled me - a lot.

More "off-the-wall" bits (geddit?)

Knighton and the "overnight" cafe.

I love both of these as they brought a lot of the riders together. As I don't normally participate on group events (certainly not bikepacking ones) this made me feel part of something rather than just following a route on a map (well, GPS).
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm Pizza at Barmouth.

Getting to the end.

Oi... you forgot Ginger beer??

:-bd

Yes, seeing Rich and his missus was one of the greatest moments in my life (or what it felt like)... really couldn't believe how, erm, morale boosting they were (lets not mention chocolates as that'd be support... or not.. cos it was available to everyone)...

The trudge up to where Rich/Char was/were, was probably the worst bits of the route as it wss never ending and a fight to get to them before they chucked in and called it a day...

After that lovely climb/walk up from Barmouth, I got lost (my bearings) and finding the correct route from a few options was such a lovely experience...

So just to sum up (in case Stu thinks we all enjoyed that climb)... can we have Rich and Char and chocolates but not that nasty climb that came afterwords... Maybe Ginger Beer spread randomly across the route!

Can we also have Jase posted at the trail centre foot behind the sign for it (with a coffee)
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:59 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm Pizza at Barmouth.

Getting to the end.

Oi... you forgot Ginger beer??

:-bd

Yes, seeing Rich and his missus was one of the greatest moments in my life (or what it felt like)... really couldn't believe how, erm, morale boosting they were (lets not mention chocolates as that'd be support... or not.. cos it was available to everyone)...

The trudge up to where Rich/Char was/were, was probably the worst bits of the route as it wss never ending and a fight to get to them before they chucked in and called it a day...

After that lovely climb/walk up from Barmouth, I got lost (my bearings) and finding the correct route from a few options was such a lovely experience...

So just to sum up (in case Stu thinks we all enjoyed that climb)... can we have Rich and Char and chocolates but not that nasty climb that came afterwords... Maybe Ginger Beer spread randomly across the route!

Can we also have Jase posted at the trail centre foot behind the sign for it (with a coffee)
shaf, youre right!! i prrssed post too soon because i had to deal eith a snotty bint!

consider gingee ale as priority hehe
slarge

Post by slarge »

I like Carnau in all its forms, and the whole of the 2014 route. Epic!
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

The 2016 community cafe stop was ace. Into and out of Barmouth (2014) - ace. Around the reservoirs (2017) - ace. Some nasty bits (all years) - ace.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I watched this video so many times before my attempt;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxe6wxvVnZg&t=360s
techno

Post by techno »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:12 pm I watched this video so many times before my attempt;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxe6wxvVnZg&t=360s
I've watched that before as well. Just noticed That's the last video the guy posted. Did BB200 make him give up cycling?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Possibly...
redefined_cycles

Maybe if Stu hadn't given him the black badge he'd have come back and carried on trying harder... Maybe, just maybe, after achieving the black badge he thought life was complete?

I noticed he sounded very much like Allen