I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Jurassic

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Jurassic »

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:40 pm In light of the research posted above, those Scottish MTB guidelines aren't enough. 10 meters is suggested as the minimum when cycling slowly.
It strikes me there are a lot of potential variables (for example a cross wind) that would make any such guidelines pretty worthless.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What happens if the rider in front farts? You are going to keep your distance anyway but should that be more or less than the indicated guidelines?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:20 pm What happens if the rider in front farts?
Sorry, I can't help it.... we've been here before :wink:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Maybe it could be used as an indicator... I mean, if you can smell them you're probably too close!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:14 pm Maybe it could be used as an indicator... I mean, if you can smell them you're probably too close!
Honestly, around here it’s not a valid measurement :YMSICK:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have I got news for you is painful in this socially distanced version :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Last week's was better than this week's :wink: Just caught Michael Sheen out of the corner of my eye on Graham Norton which Mrs Perrin is watching - they should have our Michael as HIGNFY host, he'd liven things up,

Earlier on I had a virtual pub gathering with a couple of old workmates, using Zoom (yes Tim, I finally got it to work). We actually had a really good laugh, which slightly surprised me because I hadn't expected pub body-language to come across very well. We even took it in turns to get a round in :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV

Post by FLV »

Enjoyed that zip ta.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Someone uploaded a 130 mile road bike ride from their door to their door again to Strava today.

I know I'm bursting to get out for all day rides.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Screenshot, and bung it on Twitter. Let popular opinion sit in judgement...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

FFS :sad:

Breaking the law is one thing :roll: .

Advertising it to the entire world is quite another and is simply baiting the Government to introduce "Lockdown Plus" x( , just like in France and Spain.

The egos of some will cost the liberty of all :sad: .
May you always have tail wind.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Landslide wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm Screenshot, and bung it on Twitter. Let popular opinion sit in judgement...
Please don’t do this. Sharing it further afield is almost as bad as doing the deed on a publicly accessible platform.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think it's taking the piss a bit but, to be clear, no law is being broken.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm just grumpy because I've resorted to riding a turbo.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I think that's why I'm struggling. No law being broken. Just someone being a sub standard head.

I'm jealous of course. But I wouldn't think about doing a full day ride right now.

I had but milage plans that are just left to one side.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 pm I'm jealous of course. But I wouldn't think about doing a full day ride right now.

I had but milage plans that are just left to one side.
This. At points over the last few weeks, I've found it a bit of a mental struggle to put aside my desires and aspirations for the greater good. The long rides are still there to be done when this is all over, although it would've helped if the trails were still slop and it was poor show weather... 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Gari

Post by Gari »

It was on one of the Scottish mtb fb pages yesterday. Pretty staggering thing for a medical professional to say in my opinion, like enjoying it negates the exercise benefit?!
Of course it just lead to a round robin of folks saying you shouldn’t be doing anything hardcore( the term “shred” was used at one point), followed by several folk agreeing, but surely going for a ride on an mtb was ok, a few more posts about folks sensible riding habits given the current nhs resource use etc. Then someone would say NO you shouldn’t be going out riding like idiots and risking needing MR or an ambulance... “sure but riding safely” yadda yadda.... and on and on and on.....
Probably still running I imagine(unsubscribed in the end🙄)
Is it any wonder the keyboard warriors can’t decide/decipher what is allowed or not?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 pm I saw this earlier. ~X(
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18373 ... fbshr
I read the lines “Can I just emphasise that exercise is exercise, not recreation, not your hobby. It's not the time to go mountain biking. You need to just use it for 30, up to 60 minutes from your home to exercise to stay healthy and then stay at home."
as meaning he sees mountain biking as some kind of extreme thrill-seeker sport or a destination thing. The image MTB portrays via Enduro, lifestyle vans, protective wear and loud clothing. XC riding from your door is just cycling off-road, so different to what some people see MTB as / like to portray MTB as.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

jameso wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:53 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:16 pm I saw this earlier. ~X(
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18373 ... fbshr
I read the lines “Can I just emphasise that exercise is exercise, not recreation, not your hobby. It's not the time to go mountain biking. You need to just use it for 30, up to 60 minutes from your home to exercise to stay healthy and then stay at home."
as meaning he sees mountain biking as some kind of extreme thrill-seeker sport or a destination thing. The image MTB portrays via Enduro, lifestyle vans, protective wear and loud clothing. XC riding from your door is just cycling off-road, so different to what some people see MTB as / like to portray MTB as.
It's worrying that a subgroup of cyclists should be singled out though, it's only a small step from that to saying that cycling in general is no longer deemed to be a legitimate form of daily exercise ( not helped by reports of people doing long rides and flouting the spirit of the restrictions if not the letter of the law).
On a different but connected note I heard a worrying rumour at work that a further restriction on all outdoor exercise was being introduced on 13th April. I dunno if there's any truth in it but I wouldn't be surprised if at least a review was being planned to consider how people reacted to the bank holiday weekend and nice weather. Also not sure whether this maybe a Scotland only thing if it is true. Hopefully it's just gossip though and not based on fact.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If exercise is OK but recreation/hobby isn't then just make sure you're pushing hard and not smiling.

Either that or take up trampolining.

Anyway - the guy is a pillock. He was telling us all on March 15th that there was no threat from mass gatherings.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:24 pm It's worrying that a subgroup of cyclists should be singled out though, it's only a small step from that to saying that cycling in general is no longer deemed to be a legitimate form of daily exercise ( not helped by reports of people doing long rides and flouting the spirit of the restrictions if not the letter of the law).
I guess 'mountain biking' may have simply been the first 'rad' outdoor thing that came to his mind. Could have said parascending or canyoning, with a bit more imagination.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm not likely to screen shot anything or post anything anywhere with details of the rider and the ride they done, but I wasn't sure if I was alone or not on thinking that a certain amount of piss is being taken. I could easily go out all day on the bike and cover plenty of miles, weathers perfect and I have the time.

I mean it's pretty basic, the NHS want us to stay at home. but due to no law being laid about the time you're allowed to ride is a loophole that people know about, I'm also confused how I feel about "big" rides because I don't know what the cut off point is that gets me upset. So many unknowns. I know anything above 100 kind of makes me question peoples lack of respect for others and themselves going through multiple different communities - even if they "didn't see anyone out".

I have no power to suggest to someone what they can and can't do. I can't sway their decisions either way, but I know I get sad with actions of others that I find are going against what we need to do right now.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:04 pm Enjoyed that zip ta.
He's slick that guy. Gonna watch it yet but recognised him from the link. He built a bunker in hus back yard last time too