Whats the one event you'll miss, missing out on the most this year?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Whats the one event you'll miss, missing out on the most this year?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just sat doing my accounts (dont you hate such things :sad: ) for the respirator appeal and yet again I thought about how sad it'll be that we don't have to fight for a golden ticket on whichever 10am it is that the event is sold.

What a sad year for mountain biking (amongst many other much more sad goingsOn).

:cry:

Whats your sad event that you think about every so often and wonder, 'what if'...
Bearlegged

Re: Whats the one event you'll miss, missing out on the most this year?

Post by Bearlegged »

I changed jobs, and my old team had a bit of a whip-around resulting in some vouchers for Blacks. I got a load of OS maps, started to pore over them, and we all got told to stay home. Dang it.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'd been planning to do "Ride to the sun Scotland" this year with a group of friends. I've never done anything like that before so was really looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll be able to do it next year instead (I'm assuming that it won't be possible this year although it's not actually been cancelled yet).
Matt

Post by Matt »

WRT it's the only event I wouldn't dream of not doing.

Don't know why, but it's something special :-bd
barney

Post by barney »

Don't really do events now but really look forward to the WRT.

Just means I'll enjoy it more later in the year
Wait for me...
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's all my fault, haven't done any mass participation cycling events before, so entered two this year. One postponed (Dirty Reiver 200), the other cancelled (Frontier 300). Was quite looking forward to the Frontier 300, as I was going to spend two days cycling from the finish to the start, maybe next year...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was going to do my first Triathlon in June. I'd even been learning to swim.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The wife and I were supposed to be hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc in early July so a bit gutted about that, luckily we hadn’t got as far as booking flights etc.

I’d also looked at doing a bike friendly version of the Cape Wrath Trail later in the year, I hiked it with a mate a few years ago and thought it covered some of the finest ground the UK has to offer, a bikey attempt would be fun.

But both excursions can be done another time providing we get through this.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I had a lot planned for this year, several of the Cross Cartel events, The WRT obviously followed by the Moors 100 and the Woods grand rando all booked and paid for. Just before the lock down I almost booked some flights to Slovenia for a little trip, I spent several months in Croatia years ago and have always wanted to go back with a bike.

Mostly I’m missing riding with various Boners, I think many of us will become more sociable when this is over.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

To be honest I can't really afford to enter events much now* so not missing much!

Have a week in October booked off, should be ok to plan something for then?

*WRT excepted obviously but it's a 550 mile round trip which seems excessive (my car probably struggles to do 30mpg!)
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Not the most fun (and many on here will scoff no doubt) but the one that requires the most commitment and buildup, after three years away I'd set my mind on a return to the 24hr time trial national championship.

I'd have more fun on the Highland Fling 1000, Fred Whitton, Borders of Belgium 1000 and Bear Bones 200, but if they were suddenly back on next weekend I could still ride, not so with the 24TT.
FLV

Post by FLV »

If I need to pick just one, currently its the Dales Divide as I should be setting off in about an hour :sad:

Will have to see what else I end up missing but generally just missing being able to get out for a few days at this sort of time of year as the weather and daylight hours start to change.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

WRT for me....was looking forward to quaffing a few jars with you lot before, during and after the event.
I do TNR every 2 years...was hoping to return if not to start with 'em, just to ride the route. James giving the Coq to the Germans will live on forever.

Greetz

S.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 amMostly I’m missing riding with various Boners, I think many of us will become more sociable when this is over.
This for me too. And the WRT, which even though it's only going to be postponed, I'll miss because of a clash with a trip to Spanish lapland to have a crack at parts of this with Rich3rd and his mate Charlie. Which reminds me: need to buy the worlds biggest big bag for my XL Big Bro - the thing is a beast.

https://montanasvacias.com/spanish-lappland/
I'm just going outside ...
redefined_cycles

Anyway... i don't think i said but mine was bb200. But seems Stu is hopeful that it might just run so i look forward to fighting to getting the ticket... :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hopefully, I'm not going to miss out on your company with regard to the WRT and BB200. However, I imagine we / I will be missing out on the JennRide*. I've never had the chance to do it before but this year planned things nice and early ... the plan involved arriving there by bike after spending some time north of the border.

*although nothing confimed as far as I know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ah. Forgot about Jennride. It was my first ine last year. Really enjoyed it. It was one of my highlights of 2019.

Hopefully it can take place after its ok to head out. If not, 2021 :grin:
gairym

Post by gairym »

For me it's my annual trip to Massa for the Tuscany Trail :cry:

Such a joyous mix of riding my bike in a lovely part of the world, taking in stunning scenery and beautiful historic places and of course eating/drinking mightily fine all the way through.

But.....all is not lost.....I'll be heading down there just as soon as it's feasible (it's not as though I usually ride with everyone else anyway).
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 am Hopefully, I'm not going to miss out on your company with regard to the WRT and BB200. However, I imagine we / I will be missing out on the JennRide*. I've never had the chance to do it before but this year planned things nice and early ... the plan involved arriving there by bike after spending some time north of the border.

*although nothing confimed as far as I know.
One of the problems we’re going to have is the number of events that have been cancelled, personally I had May,June and July all booked with events. If we’re lucky enough to allowed back out there won’t be that many weekends left in the summer, there will almost certainly be clashes with rescheduled events. The WRT will still be at the top of my list in that event but it will be interesting to see how clashes will be handled by organisers.
The other point is these events are not immune the the financial implications of this lockdown, many have invested entry fees and paid suppliers, we’re going the have a choice, are we willing to lose our entry fee in return for the event surviving into the future?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I wasn't on the TNR this year as the draw didn't happen. If I did get on, which I won't find out till 2021, I'm guessing I'll be sad for missing that. No idea what's going to happen with Jennride or Moors 100 yet. Booked on the Yd300 but if that happens due to lock down I won't have the legs because of training.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Was only planning the wrt and the 200 if I get a spot this year so not really deflated as both are still possible this year , signed up for the cross cartel rides but was planning on using them as a night out prior to the event but that can happen whenever we can get out again :-bd
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I had entered the recent cross cartel event at aLudlow and hoped to have a few days in the area riding and walking.

I had decided to miss WRT and booked a sleeper train to Scotland to ride the Great North Trail from Cape Wrath to home in Derby. Was looking forward to riding the length of Scotland particularly staying in a number of bothies with no real time pressure.

I can do it next year of course. May was planned to avoid the midge season.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I was 100% definitely going to win the HTR550 this year.....
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:54 pm I was 100% definitely going to win the HTR550 this year.....
Oh bloody (is that count as a swear word Dave? :lol: )
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol: