Shaf's respirator appeal.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

macinblack

Shaf's respirator appeal.

Post by macinblack »

I don't know how many folks look at the classifieds but Shaf is valiantly trying to raise funds for a respirator.

I wonder whether collectively we would be prepared to donate as forum members so Shaf can reach his goal sooner?

They are about £550 all in I think.

Whilst I believe this should be the governments responsibility, It is no comfort to ICU workers who need the protection now.

What do we think?

(Shaf - If you don't like the idea, I'll get the thread deleted.)

Caveat - It will have to have a #gravelwanker sticker on it :cool:
In Reverse

Re: Shaf's respirator appeal.

Post by In Reverse »

edit: ignore that :grin:

But yeah, I'll chip in,
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

He's selling his son's/daughter's bike frame! Maybe we could rent it for a week at a time, until the LOCKDOWN is lifted, at which point the current renter get's to 'do with it as they wish'?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Its a lovely appeal and its really very much appreciated. I'm gonna call it the 'BearBones Respirator'. Not to be confused with a ventilator (which goes on the patient) so the BB respirator will eventually be responsible for saving many lives (God Willing) and our nurses and doctors and physios who'll use it (not all beardos* btw) are some of the most caring/the best...

Regards gov responsibilty. To be honest, I probably hate good old Boris and Blair Cameron etc etc as much as many others. But in this instance I'm gonna say 'I dont know whether to slap em or not... btw we do have loads already but even then, people are havign to wait before getting onto the COVID bay as there just aren't enough for the amount of people that cannot wear a standard FFPmaskThingyJig

*a reference from a STW chap who once opened a thread on here years ago referring to biners as such :lol: it stuck in my head
redefined_cycles

boxelder wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:27 am He's selling his son's/daughter's bike frame! Maybe we could rent it for a week at a time, until the LOCKDOWN is lifted, at which point the current renter get's to 'do with it as they wish'?
Sorry... the frame has gone to a lovely man in Formby :-bd ... Dont worry though, there's plenty other stuff of mine that needs selling up. Call it a 'compulsory' clearout. Cos if I'm dead then they'll (the kids and the missus and the rest of the family) will just fight over them there frames :lol: thats a joke btw
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Shaf,

Have you got a paypal address or suchlike to donate to?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf,

Have you got a paypal address or suchlike to donate to?
I was just going to ask the same thing.

Shaf, if you can post details of a paypal account then hopefully we can get some money raised. It genuinely bothers me that you're selling off your stuff when we could all simply chip in a few quid.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 pm Shaf, if you can post details of a paypal account then hopefully we can get some money raised. It genuinely bothers me that you're selling off your stuff when we could all simply chip in a few quid.
This.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Paypal details was here: message me if you needs it :-bd

Stu... seriously, don't be bothered. It actually bothers me the opposite way round that I am getting paid whilst others are not able to work (usually i have a limit on my weekly work but this situation means I've waved that personal policy goodbye)...

Anyway... :shock: I'll try and refrain (not working but acting like this and using it as a means to 'debulk')...

[Edit: I actually genuinely believe that charity won't decrease my wealth* and that each person WE (us all) save, it'll be as if we've saved humanity** and that the return for my pieces that me and the litte uns sell off is waiting for us in the next life*** and that whoever is supporting in this effort [as a whole] will also see/experience the return of their efforts either in this life and/or the next as 'deeds are but upon intentions'****]

* to *** : too many stars to go through but all based upon what I've learnt from either Muhammeds statements or what I've read from the Quran and its wider meanings etc.... Its a win win for us all i guess :-bd and all we need to do is try :smile:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Donated.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Likewise
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

macinblack wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pmDonated.
Ace... thanks kind sir... I can't wait to take the masks and hand em to my manager telling her me and my mad biking mates grabbed these for us. I worked there for 5 years (on peanuts as I was with an agency that liked ripping us nurses off) as an agency nurse who used to work all round the country*, before actuaally accepting their continuous requests for me to come work there... Thats how amazing she and all the team are... Elaine Hunter: Legend

*I say this to prove that I know what a good manager and ward is when I see one as I can be called the 'ward assessor :grin: cos once someones rudes to me I tend not to go back EVER :lol:
redefined_cycles

My paypal address magically multiplied to £271 :o thanks folks. Looks like were not far off the first respirator :-bd

Once we get to that number I'll be putting on a Passoni (actually an overengineered Bertoletti Fedaia) type frameset which is a lovely piece of Italian engineering as well as some Dura Ace cranks... just forewarning folks. Dojt get me wrong, ine of the respirators will be BB funded but the other which I manage to self fund by selling of said bits, I'll probably/might keep in my own locker and/or take with me to various places I go help out**

**Properly cleaned off course as we're OCD on our ICU :-bd
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Donated
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Sent you something over though being an atheist not expecting any rewards in the afterlife :wink: Hope it helps
redefined_cycles

restlessshawn wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm Sent you something over though being an atheist not expecting any rewards in the afterlife :wink: Hope it helps
:-bd thanks so much Sean. I'm convinced that you'll get it (that reward I mentioned) in some way shape or form regardless :grin:

The smily face is cos I can give a little update (aside from my bits n bobs to go up soon) that I contacted the supplier who's super duper cheap. He cannot reserve but I plan to try and grab 3 in total as stocks are limited and I dont wanna miss out... that'll mean 2 for the unit (from the BB fundraiser and what I'm short I'll call my mate Boris* for the remainder) and one I'll self fund myself from my selling of kit :-bd

Life is good. Thanks so much everyone
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Done, you are a good man Shaf.
What's the worst than can happen?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for doing this Shaf, great work.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have foregone my next bottle of rum for a good cause!

Donated.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:42 pm I have foregone my next bottle of rum for a good cause!

Donated.
A very worthwhile investment indeed Rich :-bd ..

Whoever said about 'great man'... well, 'great men and women hang around in the company of great men and women*' so thanks all...

Update is that I spoke with the PPE guy today (such a nice chap sellping kit for £450 that the NHS would probably normally pay over £800 for :sad: ). He cannot reserve any kit as hospitals are urgently trying to get everything 'off the shelves' from him. But he secrectly advised that once I order online he will allocate it me and then send the invpice. So the plan is to make the order at about 1700 and whatever overflow funds are left I will just grab spare helmets/visors as ours are looking very sorry for themselves after 8 years of storage/unappreciation etc...

I reckon we'll have enough funds for at least 2 full kits (and my personal one from my sales and over time working being the 3rd) and who knows.. maybe even a 3rd :o
redefined_cycles

macinblack wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:35 pm I don't know how many folks look at the classifieds but Shaf is valiantly trying to raise funds for a respirator.

I wonder whether collectively we would be prepared to donate as forum members so Shaf can reach his goal sooner?

They are about £550 all in I think.

Whilst I believe this should be the governments responsibility, It is no comfort to ICU workers who need the protection now.

What do we think?

(Shaf - If you don't like the idea, I'll get the thread deleted.)

Caveat - It will have to have a #gravelwanker sticker on it :cool:
Thanks so much for this Mac... I probably won't put the 'gravewanker' idea to my manager as she's just about gotten her head round my/our stupidly long commutes :-bd ... Might even BIKEcommute to work next week (unless I have to take the respirators in) as I'd lost my appetite for it of late!
redefined_cycles

Update... my paypal account showing we have £537 already...

Dave (FLV) remember them shoes you gave me for free (the ones that felt like space boots and one needed to go to the gym just to have a chance to be ablr to walk in them :grin: )... Well if you recall I moved em on (via fleabay I think) and swapped to some Arcteryx full laminated for the BB200. Well, them boots (a natural progression from what you gave me ans I got the Arcteryx for only £100 new) are now coming into their own. When cleaning and doffing (removing PPE when leaving covid bay for us) I can clean the shoes also with the wipes. Thanks again :-bd
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Good work Shaf, donated.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Will donate later when I switch on my laptop. Surely a Stop Being Soft sticker would be allowed?