65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
whitestone

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by whitestone »

In other news ...

Someone's just dropped half a tonne of cow sh1t onto the veg patch!

:-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm In other news ...

You really should watch your diet bob.
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm In other news ...

That's a big flying cow!
And extremely fortunate :-bd
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Gari wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am Can’t help but wonder what income you boys could generate if you combined resources:)?
Fortunately, I'd just swallowed my tea when I read this.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Gari wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:48 am Can’t help but wonder what income you boys could generate if you combined resources:)?
Attachments
download.jpg
(7.9 KiB) Downloaded 1610 times
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

htrider wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm Feck!

Had tonight pencilled in as a bivi night, suns out and trails are starting to dry out...

Oh well, life goes on :-bd
Embrace the back garden (or kitchen) bivvy!
Don’t think I could do that with my warm bed only metres away :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So at work, they are "are looking for vlogs which will inspire us, educate us or simply entertain us. If you have a top tip on how you are managing at home, staying connected with team members and clients, adding a bit of fun into your daily routine or Teams meetings, or would like to share a story detailing how you are helping in the community, we would love to hear from you!"
So asking us to make vlogs whilst we work from home...

So we decided to make one.... (all the other ones are very dry and dull, and a bit serious).

https://youtu.be/PUvqaDJOWuU

This is meant to be for internal only to the company, but I figured this isn't a high traffic area, so you can waste 4 minutes watching it if you're bored...!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Zip - do you work for MLM?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

yarp
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I enjoyed that. Who was the smart bloke? Never seen him before.

That's inspired me to film my work day tomorrow. Should be riveting...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 pm Zip - do you work for MLM?
Did some sleuthing, found Cheeky Monky on the internal messaging system :lol:
Dave Barter wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:23 pm I enjoyed that. Who was the smart bloke? Never seen him before.

That's inspired me to film my work day tomorrow. Should be riveting...
Smart bloke :lol: I rarely wear a suit and tie, apart from special occasions - which is part of the humour to those who know me, clearly worked :mrgreen: Look forward to your video Dave :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mrs Perrin has finished her 7 day sentence so just nipped out to Waitrose (yes I know, but one has to keep one's standards whilst all collapses around). Like Ivan Denisovitch, I've been handed another 7 days so am still stuck here.

Anyway, there was a queue of 10 outside, went in quickly, only 20 or so in the joint. Interestingly all the shelves were "as normal". Even had a few sheets of bogroll. She picked up some fruit/veg etc, and crisps as a treat.

Shopping stories are boring, so no more about that.

Thing is though, I'm not sure I can get back to "nice" food after a couple of weeks of gruel, lentils on toast and tinned cabbage (in the same way that I find it hard to get back to the Unreal World after a BP outing). We also normally take our time eating (table, cutlery, no phones etc, very Victorian), but it's become even more pronounced now - savouring each pea etc. We've never wasted food or thrown it away (30% countrywide normally on average - shockingly bad) but again that's even more emphasised now. You certainly can't afford to waste or chuck away any sustenance when BP-ing in particular. Obviously we're abnormal.

I wonder if this situation is going to change any Normals' habits for the "better" afterwards? More in-season stuff, no apples-from-NewZealand ridiculousness, nothing chucked in the bin (*). I suppose if the WW2 experience is anything to go by, after rationing stopped the 1960s turned into a rebellion against restrictions and rationing so maybe it'll go the other way and people will be even more profligate. Ah well, it was a nice thought while it lasted.

(*) OK, orange peel perhaps. But apparently even that, dried, makes good BP kindling.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Had a lengthy chat with my Mum the other night about post war rationing which she remembers quite well. The deal was you hoarded anything you didn't immediately want, or swapped it with friends if you didn't like or need something. This lead to a tendency to continue to hoard post rationing, hence my Mum and Dad having an enormous chest freezer as well as a large fridge freezer (both full before this all KO'd)......

If I'd been quicker off the mark I could have decanted down there and lived in luxury whilst only having to do all their shopping in return.....probably would have been too risky. Bugger can't wait to be able to go and see them
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I’m torn. Today I went for my usual round-the-block-bread-and-butter-keep-my-fitness-up ride. Some 18 miles. I’m lucky in that I live out in the countryside and I’m on the lanes straight out of my gate. Don’t have to come close to anyone.

But - in the middle, in a little wood, far from houses, there’s a cracking little bivvy spot that I’ve used a few years ago. Now, I can ride past it on my regular ride and no-one can say owt. I can stop there for a rest, if I want, then carry on home. How is that different from stopping overnight? The risk to anyone, including myself, is miniscule.

So, how is that different from (from a risk to a third party point of view) two days “excercise” rides and a long rest in between? I really can’t see how it is.

Or I can cross the lane into my 3-acre field and bivvy in the corner.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Same feeling here froggy, I’m going stir crazy, only been out of the house 3 times in over a week. 2 miles round the block with the lad and the shops.
For the sake of my sanity I’m going to need a ride somewhere soon!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think the deal is that if you do bivvy out, or go on longer than necessary bike rides etc etc that you don’t post it on Strava or Facebook or here, the risk to your health or others health is probably tiny, but.......
The more people post stuff about their ventures the more “acceptable” it is seen to be, then more people do it, and we end up being our own worst enemies
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

^ Very much this.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

slarge wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:56 pm I think the deal is that if you do bivvy out, or go on longer than necessary bike rides etc etc that you don’t post it on Strava or Facebook or here, the risk to your health or others health is probably tiny, but.......
The more people post stuff about their ventures the more “acceptable” it is seen to be, then more people do it, and we end up being our own worst enemies
Very well said that Steve... Thanks for that. Goes back to that rule1 I guess...
gairym

Post by gairym »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 pmSo, how is that different from (from a risk to a third party point of view) two days “excercise” rides and a long rest in between? I really can’t see how it is.
The difference is that one is allowed and the other isn't.

One is following the rules and likely to keep things nice and friendly between the government and cyclists and the other is most definitely NOT and if, for whatever unforeseen reason, discovered will add to the likelihood of outdoor exercise being taken away (like here, thanks to lots of individuals doing totally innocent things just like you're suggesting).

For what it's worth I agree about the actual risk to yourself and others (negligible) but that's not the point.
BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 pm Same feeling here froggy, I’m going stir crazy, only been out of the house 3 times in over a week. 2 miles round the block with the lad and the shops.
For the sake of my sanity I’m going to need a ride somewhere soon!
As someone who's technically now on week 9 of being stuck at home (6 weeks laid up with a bad back and now on week 3 of lockdown) with pretty much zero 'bike time' I feel uniquely qualified to say that one needs to 'suck it up' and find a way to get with the programme.

I saw a nice bit of social media propaganda (a funny meme) the other day which stated:

"Our grandparents generation were asked to give their lives for the war effort and we're being asked to sit on our sofas and not buy too much loo roll - we can do this!"

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Well said gairym. Let's not spoil it for everyone. :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

slarge wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:56 pm I think the deal is that if you do bivvy out, or go on longer than necessary bike rides etc etc that you don’t post it on Strava or Facebook or here, the risk to your health or others health is probably tiny, but.......
You’re absolutely right. I hadn’t thought of it in that way. There’s no shortage of rule 1) breakers in the world. I won’t be one of them (in this case). I’m lucky that I did my March BAM before the lockdown.

April? There’s another four weeks before May. I live in hope that things might change, but, you know the saying “Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst”? I’m resigned to bivvying in a corner of one of my fields, or the grandkids tree house, or at worst, the garden. If I use all the options, my BAM campaign can continue until October without leaving my property and without using the same place twice.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What's the phrase?
If you have to ask/think if it's OK, it probably isn't.
People are getting tetchy at the moment and increasingly willing to jump on any perceived minor transgression. Best to have a supply of pandas to hand :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 am I’m resigned to bivvying in a corner of one of my fields
Wish I had one field, let alone a choice.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I still think the indoor bivvy thing counts, or a garden if you're lucky enough to have one.

Stu should get "I wasn't a tosser during the great lockdown" badges made up to commemorate the sensible BAMers. :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm not sure merely observing the "stay home" rule will absolve me of *all* my sins!