I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
PaulB2

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by PaulB2 »

The police have now put up road blocks at the access points to the popular hotspots of cannock chase so when I can get out on the bike it'll have to be a road only little loop around the outskirts of town.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Surely the key rules still apply?

1) Don't be a dick
2) Don't take the piss
3) Be nice to each other

:-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

What you have to remember is that these regulations are drawn up with regards to the “average” person.
Perhaps naively, they are hoping the general public will use there common sense as to what is reasonable :???:

In my mind it all comes back to rule#1

Doing things from home, avoiding groups of people and tourist honeypots.
Things that most of us would do normally.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

For the 'average' person the only exercise they would normally get is walking across town in their lunch break to buy a sandwich or walking from the car park to the office. I interpret the advice for daily exercise as doing just enough so as not to be completely sedentary now you are required to stay at home, so a half hour walk round the block or a short ride out just to get some air and out of the house for a bit.

Looking at my strava/instagram/facebook feeds it would appear that lots of people are treating it as a chance to go out all day riding at get paid for it. They are treating it as more time to train. Quite what they are training for I've no idea as there wont be any bike racing for a year and maybe 2 :sad:

If they have that much free time and energy they would perhaps be better off volunteering to help in the efforts, there are lots of requests for people to shop for the vulnerable etc.

The more time you spend away from your home the greater the risk of catching/spreading the virus. They seem to have come to the conclusion that they are young and healthy so it wont be an issue for them, they'll just have a slight cough for a day and then they can get back to riding. Whist statistically the older you are the more likely you are to have severe symptoms you can be a super fit 20 year old and still die.

As has been said Rule #1
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:35 am So where was the 'no restrictions' bit posted James?
As posted on social media - "Contrary to some advice on social media, there is NO restriction on distance and there is NO restriction on the number of times you do this per day."

Meaning, the comment in speech marks was a lawyer's comment on twitter, a personal interpretation rather than govt advice. Sorry if not clear .. I tend to read 'on social media' as meaning 'equally likely to be BS as fact' : )
So while nothing is stated in terms of distance or frequency there's obviously a difference between a short loop close to home that takes an hour or so and an all day ride that covers large areas of the country.
Yes I agree, that it's left for police to handle, more open to interpretation that I thought it might be is what interested me. Agree that rule #1 applies.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Quite what they are training for I've no idea
Just for the sake of it I guess. TBH I ride for fitness as well as (more importantly) simply enjoying it. I do put some element of training effort into my riding but I don't train for anything in particular, I don't race. I just like feeling quick relative to my own general ability. I expect quite a few people are like that?
They are treating it as more time to train.
Daft isn't it - you don't need more time? You can get fitter over the short term (like a month or 2) by doing short, focussed effort. No need for more than 45 to 90 minutes of that a couple of times a week, the rest -partic at this time of year- can be an hour or two max at a much easier pace. Too late for base miles now anyway : )
Last edited by jameso on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"a lawyer's comment"... ah well, there we go then :smile: .

Sean's right, just "doing some exercise" is a wasted opportunity. If you're going to walk round the block, fetch something for somebody or do a task for them.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 pm "a lawyer's comment"... ah well, there we go then :smile: .
Fair : )
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The stated advice was "your standard length".

The aim is to limit any potential spreading of the infection and minimise risk of injury to yourself.

If you're used to going out for a 50km ride or a 15km run and are able to do that without coming into contact with people then I think that's OK. A spin around country lanes/towpaths/bridleways should be fine. Anything urban or technical not so much.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Quite what they are training for I've no idea
Just for the sake of it I guess. TBH I ride for fitness as well as (more importantly) simply enjoying it. I do put some element of training effort into my riding but I don't train for anything in particular, I don't race. I just like feeling quick relative to my own general ability. I expect quite a few people are like that?
They are treating it as more time to train.
Daft isn't it - you don't need more time? You can get fitter over the short term (like a month or 2) by doing short, focussed effort. No need for more than 45 to 90 minutes of that a couple of times a week, the rest -partic at this time of year- can be an hour or two max at a much easier pace. Too late for base miles now anyway : )
I ride firstly because I enjoy it bit also for the fitness and to improve in relation to myself. My comment about training was in relation to the number of people who have upped the volume of their riding by a significant factor, e.g. riding 50+ miles a day when they previously used to just do a 30 mile cafe ride on a Sunday morning. And they seem to be getting endless PBs and top 10s so are putting more effort in.

I know we'd all like more time to ride but this really isn't it. It won't be just us here who've noticed and if it continues and the number of deaths continues to rise (which it will) then more draconian measures will be taken and we'll all suffer the consequences?

Jane was very upset when she got home from her training to work on the wards, not just because of the reality of what it will be like at the hospital but also because they have been told the reality of what is coming. People will be left at home to die on their own, this is not internet scare-mongering but the simple fact of the numbers of cases there will be.

Heading out for an all day ride because the law doesn't say they cant and calling it "A ride a day keeps to covid away" isn't appropriate and they might just be spreading it now matter how careful they think they are being. And it seems rather disrespectful to the health workers who are putting their own lives at risk to be exposed to the virus over and over again. Jane would much rather be paid to go out on her bike all day but as well as working at the hospital she is also doing the shopping for 2 elderly neighbors and our 2 lots of elderly parents.

This rant isn't aimed at anyone in particular. We all need to take a look at what we can do to minimise the spread.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Some good points since my last post - been into the village for the first time this week to get some shopping, had to queue (at 2-3m distance so people are getting the idea) to get into the Co-op, the staff were operating a one out, one in policy. Most stuff is in stock, the only thing I didn't manage to get was flour. Just had a thought - hand baskets only, one per person/couple, that'd slow down the panic buying.

Last night Cath and I went out for a ride, 20km around the local lanes. We're rural, Chew can vouch for that, not quite BB Towers but not far off. Saw six cyclists and two runners, that's more than the number of roadside houses we passed. That was my first outdoor ride since the 14th March, i.e. well before the lockdown restrictions. The rest of my riding has been on the turbo, boring yes, socially relevant - definitely. So I'd say the turbo is my "training" (for exactly what is TBD) while the occasional short ride outside is my "exercise".

As noted above, what we'd consider "a ride" would be an unnecessary expedition to most.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

And it seems rather disrespectful to the health workers who are putting their own lives at risk to be exposed to the virus over and over again.
Exactly, that's what seems to be escaping too many people's attention, that or they aren't good at change or modifying their behaviour. Also why I wouldn't have been suprised to see more strict controls for any reduction in pressure. Inches given turn to miles.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jameso wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:20 pm
And it seems rather disrespectful to the health workers who are putting their own lives at risk to be exposed to the virus over and over again.
Exactly, that's what seems to be escaping too many people's attention, that or they aren't good at change or modifying their behaviour. Also why I wouldn't have been suprised to see more strict controls for any reduction in pressure. Inches given turn to miles.
+1 some are plenty vulnerable themselves aswell but don't really advertise that fact nor let it be known too much lest they're unable to keep easing the burden etc...

Well said Sean. The point about draconian measures gerting worse if people dont abide/understand the seriousness is also a very well said point... I'm not going out for any training rides personally. Will still be riding to work which is 40 miles there and 40 back but thats cos I have to and its safer than driving in for me...

The exercise rule we at our house are keeping more for our mental health to be fair and to ensure the kids are getting their greens to their eyes as well as sunshine/brightness etc etc... Exclercise can really be taken at home if people were to think outaide of the box. Just saying
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

The only outdoor riding I'm doing is to get to my deserted office out in the countryside (90% of my work can't be done from home, been told I'm a key worker, we'll see if I ever get a letter). Even that puts me on edge, but I'd have to drive it if I don't ride and I'll take a bet there's fuel shortages coming when all the truck drivers get ill. :|
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:32 pm Exercise can really be taken at home if people were to think outaide of the box. Just saying
My 7 year old has ridden his 25 free kilometres on Zwift this week, on his 20" bike set up on my turbo in the sunshine on the patio. :-bd Luckily Zwift has offered free account for Under 16s with an adult subscription so I'm waiting for a response at the moment (I bet they've had a big take up).

I'm taking the kids out one each day for about 45 minutes or scooting or biking (me walking) at 6.30am to avoid even the small amount of people in our little town.

It feels selfish to say it, but my overarching behavioural driver is that I couldn't ever forgive myself if I kill someone else, so I'm staying away from everyone that doesn't live in my house.
Boab

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Crums, there's people everywhere, supermarkets busier than normal. I tend to try to avoid people/crowds in my normal life.... well what would be normally really quiet roads or a quiet time at a supermarket is all busy :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Was quite busy when I went shopping today - queues outside Morrisons and b&M. Went to Lidl and got in straight away plus got pretty much what I needed but still some big gaps. Long queues at check out but its not like time is an issue just now......

I'm going to keep my riding local which leaves plenty to choose from. Still plenty of folk driving to dog walking spots. Now that Boris has got 'it' wonder of lockdown will tighten?

Rule 1 people
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Feck!

Had tonight pencilled in as a bivi night, suns out and trails are starting to dry out...

Oh well, life goes on :-bd
JackT

Post by JackT »

Rights of way in uplands of Brecon Beacons mostly closed now, a few exceptions, eg the Sugarloaf. Upland car parks widely closed.

Mon and Brec canal had been on the closure list but now not. I'm going to claim a bit of credit for that as I wrote yesterday to the RoW officer arguing it was an important outdoors space for a lot of locals.

Full list here:

https://www.breconbeacons.org/coronavirus-covid-19
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Adding to what I see above... everyone seems to be a jogger or a cyclist now. You can tell from my local estate's facebook group where suddenly people are asking for tubes / pumps / chains etc.

Comical.

THIS.ISN'T.A.FUCKING.HOLIDAY.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Folk who might normally do spin, yoga, gym, swim etc are all looking for an alternative. With any luck, many of them will find they enjoy it and carry on post lock-down.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm Feck!

Had tonight pencilled in as a bivi night, suns out and trails are starting to dry out...

Oh well, life goes on :-bd
Embrace the back garden (or kitchen) bivvy!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Kitchen bivvy? Now that is pushing it a bit our Phil :wink: . Bedroom bivvy anyone? :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 pm Folk who might normally do spin, yoga, gym, swim etc are all looking for an alternative. With any luck, many of them will find they enjoy it and carry on post lock-down.
Given how packed the local park / paths are, I'd rather not share a hobby with anyone that selfish.

Seems to me more an obsessive need to be outside when they really shouldn't be.

Edit - Plus of course, all that happens is like we've seen with Richmond park today... they eventually just shut it down for everyone.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:30 pm
Given how packed the local park / paths are, I'd rather not share a hobby with anyone that selfish.
You get todays prize for irony :grin: