Project Virus

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Project Virus

Post by FLV »

Full working from home here too. Engineer in automotive at the early stage in a program so business as usual for us. My team works from home regular anyway so used to it.

Difficult part is Mrs Dave is also wfh so with the 4yo home all day, its tricky.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Yep, another bus colleague was due to take his test on Thursday till
The dvsa stopped them for the foreseeable future, also Hgv mot testing
Has been stopped...better hope this thing not long term or there will be no
Trucks to deliver anything in :|
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm working from home. On the one hand, I'm lucky that I can, and a lot of my work isn't too difficult to do this way (though focusing on it is a different matter). On the other hand, I'd rather be at home unable to work - assuming I was still getting paid, which is a problem for some people, so I shouldn't make light of it.

There's a lot of talk on social media of all these things you can do to fill the time, and I'm sitting here thinking "what time is this?" I'm still working 8 hours a day, and even though I only work 4 days a week, I'm still half-hoping (again, in jest) that this situation continues for at least 6 months so I have a hope in hell of getting even half way through the list of jobs I need to do to/around the house/garage. And that's before I get to all the things I'd like to do... build some wheels, get a new TIG welder, practice welding, build a frame, build a new bike trailer.... and that's just the bike-y stuff!
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Yup, WFH full time. Work is complex and relentless with no end in sight, so fairly secure.

WFH allows me to have a lie-in with a cuppa; "arrive" early; work a full day; then "commute" home on the bike at sunset, which is a very welcome wind-down :-) .

Just watched "The Last Honey Hunter" on Vimeo: puts my situation into perspective :shock: , so mustn't grumble too much :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Work? What's that then?

As regards the schools going back in September (August in Scotland), I'd say that's a certainty regardless of where we are with the virus.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
Can’t work from home , but thought we were about to be told to stay home , yesterday got travel docs from customers in case we get pulled over stating we are a integral part of supplychain it looks as though unless I’m unlucky enough to be in contact with someone who has it or contract it myself that I’m lucky enough to be working through all of this
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
Working from home, for a start-up, that only has enough money to last till the end of the year. We have some big deals that will transform us from start-up to proper company, but getting them over the line now is looking difficult. 😔 So it's not like I have a load of free time to do random stuff, which is a shame.

I have 98% of the equipment I need to build my new 50 litre home brewery, but I'm now working from the brew shed. If I build it, I've got no where to put it and no room to brew... 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
gairym

Post by gairym »

K1100T wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 amI have 98% of the equipment I need to build my new 50 litre home brewery, but I'm now working from the brew shed. If I build it, I've got no where to put it and no room to brew... 🤷‍♂️
This is perfect! I have space and thirst but no brewing kit.

You work out the postage, I'll pay it and every wins, no?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I am learning to play "Painkiller" by Judas Priest on my guitar which is one hell of a workout.

Being a home worker anyway I'm doing a lot more hours which is sh1te.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
faustus

Post by faustus »

Working from home for the foreseeable too, as is the other half until she goes on maternity leave. Not really any more time, as the 2 year old is home here with his gran. Already done some garden tidying, and have very nearly finished the Camino i've spent forever building (in 20 minute bursts). Getting out most days for a ride in the sun, and the trails are really drying out too.

It feels strange to be living in a very changed world, but we're lucky that we're still getting paid and jobs are fairly secure. I'm also technically a critical worker (water company), but I think that'll only really be the case when/if i'm called in to help with essential stuff.
composite

Post by composite »

I'm working at home and I'm busier than ever. Working at a university and having distance/e-learning as an expertise I'm working on overdrive training and upskilling, and helping people move all their teaching to different modes of delivery.

I'm like one of those preppers you mentioned before Stu. I was waiting for the moment that everything I was doing and saying before the zombie apocalypse is finally being taken seriously on a large scale! :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
they day before lock down they gave me an encrypted laptop to work on and it needs a key as it wint switch on - IT are not in work and i am meant to e-mail them any issues - yes from the same computer that wont switch on
Noone is answering phones so its a no from me - though I have tried - at least hard enough i can blame them for me not working.
Appears to be nothing i can do
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just done one of those jobs that would have been easier if the installer had thought about those having to deal with any future problems.

Namely a blocked loo :shock:

The pipework goes: U-bend -> 90deg down -> 90deg right ->pipe almost to the outside -> 90deg right -> 90 deg down -> 90deg left. The first two 90deg bends are behind plasterboard, the first 90deg bend you can see is half embedded in the wall. There are no access points :oops: The first access point after the toilet bowl itself is 30 metres away under a manhole on the way to the septic tank.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Yep another one working at home here - I've got a team of 20 all working remotely at the moment although I imagine work will dry up over the next couple of months.

Its a pretty sub standard situation trying to motivate 20 people in this amount of uncertainty and when the arse has dropped out of the travel market, so I'm trying to occupy myself in my downtime and make the most of working a standard working week compared to the usual 12 hour days.

We moved in a new house at the backend of last year which needed plenty of work doing, so I've got a pretty full jobs list - everything from decorating, joinery and some electrics work to do plus sorting the garden.

Alongside this I'm consolidating all my stuff from 6 house moves over the last decade after travelling and then contracting, so lots to sift and sort through.

Finally we've both got some personal projects on - drawing, learning Italian and some other little challenges.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 am Just done one of those jobs
Probably TMI Bob! :lol:
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 am I am learning to play "Painkiller" by Judas Priest on my guitar which is one hell of a workout.

Being a home worker anyway I'm doing a lot more hours which is sh1te.
If you can do the vocals too Dave, you can have a big sloppy kiss.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bugger! The garden waste bin hasn’t been collected, looks like my gardening plan will have to have a rethink!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

As a construction worker/builder I'm a key worker.
However I decided to finish on Friday 13th as nobody would want me in their house.
The wife is the main breadwinner so it's not too bad as I got a load of materials in for some work at home, however, I'm having to drag it out.
Feel sorry for the builders on big sites that are crammed in. I'd be walking off site. Never liked working on new builds anyway.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm Bugger! The garden waste bin hasn’t been collected, looks like my gardening plan will have to have a rethink!
I had a pile of branches from a conifer I cut down but hadn't taken to the tip yet. Decided to kill two birds with one stone by spreading them around the base of our two apple trees. Now all last year's fruit has rotted down, there's less for the birds to eat, so I'm hoping the branches will provide a home for insects which will then get eaten by the birds. Thought I'd mention it in case you could do something similar.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Me and we have been for 10 days - implemented our business continuity plan more an a week ago and have all staff that can at home now to maintain essential lab support, with increased social distancing, as we can't send staff home with a fume cupboard and acids!
I like it - more focussed :-bd (well apart form lunch time like now)
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Been WFH since last Tuesday. Both kids at home since Monday and wife since yesterday (she's the important one as just started with PHE and an ex-ICU nurse).

Struggle with work motivation at the best of times and easily distracted by my (lovely) little girl who's sharing the dining room table. Trying to assist with some of the home-schooling. Makes me feel pretty old and thick sometimes!

No real projects as should be full time and have a good month or two's stuff to deliver. After that and keeping junior colleagues busy and the wheels on the business I think things could become quite interesting.

Hey ho, not dead, starving or in mortal danger so no cause to make a fuss :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I work from home 3 days a week anyway, so it wasn’t a huge change. I’m just taking a longer lunch break in the middle of the day to give the missus a break from the kids
RIP

Post by RIP »

So here's a question, do we think Boners as a bunch and as a result of bivvying are more mentally resilient than 'average' people ( the 'Normals' :) ) to occurences like this? No need to panic buy because we usually plan a little ahead anyway and have a few stores in, or(like me) eat less and savour it more. Used to it after being outside grubbing around during bivis. Yes I know that's a little insensitive to genuinely hard-up people. I'm also used to being happy taking pleasure in tiny things etc etc. In other words adaptable to rapidly changing situations.

Sorry, wrong thread really, shift to 'So This Virus'...

One thing I'm enjoying is clear and quiet skies without all those ridiculous 'cheap flights' weekend shopping in NY cobblers. Bit of luck that'll keep up. Another thing is better neighbour interaction, cliche maybe. I dunno, it's certainly changing communication in many, possibly far-reaching, ways.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Working from home (mostly writing commissioning documents), with a catch up visit to the office once a week and to upload things onto the network. I can see the birds on the feeder through the patio doors, and I'll be going out in the garden soon to do some work related reading. Not bad, considering that as a contractor I thought that I'd just be given the boot.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Working from home, answering questions from my 6th form students and setting up resources to allow them to complete their engineering coursework... Also managing the 6 & 9 year olds. Just waiting for it to get chaotic as my other jobs are as an examiner for AQA and BTEC so at some point there will be a lot of data landing to sort the grades for students currently at home.