Project Virus

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Project Virus

Post by voodoo_simon »

What projects have you got on the go and have time to complete now we’re almost house bound?

Moi?
-Finish decorating the bedroom, two half days if that should do it
-tidy up the back garden. Was going to rip out the shed and half the decking, but won’t be doing that until school is back to normal for mini-voodoo (and materials are looking difficult to source if shops are closed!)
-next doors garden needs looking at. Chap next door is doing it out but haven’t seen him since Easter (2019!), so if I get bored, I’ll sort that out for him. But I’ll have to be really bored :shock:
-learn to sketch! I’ve played about with line drawings, but wouldn’t mind something that doesn’t embarrass me :lol:
GregMay

Re: Project Virus

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:27 pm ...but won’t be doing that until school is back to normal for mini-voodoo
Soooo...September?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In one regard I'm very fortunate that the lock-down has minimal effect on me personally ie, it doesn't really alter my day to day existence. However, my list of jobs is seemingly never ending but the lock-down hasn't presented me with increased opportunity to do them. This morning I was on the roof checking to see if the flashing round the chimney was leaking and weighing up making some chimney cowls. This afternoon I was mostly laid on my back fitting a new starter clutch to Dee's bike.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I've told my wife that all the DIY stores are closed and therefore I can't do anything around the house :grin:
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

GregMay wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:27 pm ...but won’t be doing that until school is back to normal for mini-voodoo
Soooo...September?
I really hope I'm wrong. But seems like this school closure and lockdown might drag a bit longer than Sept... It'll probably be drag until the point everyone is at breaking point and ready to accept any stupid new laws... Just saying
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

At some point very soon I'll build my rear wheel and order some spokes for the front :smile:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I just said to Jane that I'm looking for a new indoor hobby for the foreseeable future, I'm thinking home brewing? She's not convinced that is really a good idea :lol: I suppose apart from some work at the start and then moving to the barrel after fermentation it's not going to keep me busy...well not until the conditioning is finished :grin:

I've got a few sewing projects to get on with. They were requesting seamstresses locally today to help make gowns for the hospital but they had enough volunteers by the time you I saw the advert, but they may need more so that would help fill the days.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
Working from home for me.
May satan walk with you
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

GregMay wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:47 pm
Soooo...September?
God knows! But I’m happy not to do it :lol:

I’m still working (telecoms engineer) and so is the wife (nurse), so mini-voodoo is still going to school on selected days, so no extra time for projects (yet!) except the weekends when we’ll be staying at home
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm Out of interest, who is actually and actively working from home and who's just at home?
Dry stone walling makes a bit of a mess of the living room :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I've been 'working from home' for the past week. I supposed to be getting Google Classroom ready for my students. However all the resources are already there so hey hoy ;) I have sent the odd email and updated a few things. The thing is when I'm in the classroom with my (bricklaying) students (16-19 years old) and tell them to get on G Classroom they end up going on FB & YT so I very much doubt they'll go on it whilst they are at home smoking weed and playing on the Xbox! But as long as the boss is happy and I still get paid :-bd
I have managed to decorate my lads room which was long overdue and I'm getting better on Call of Duty now! :lol:

On a serious note though, gods knows where this will go as I know that our place could be used for the NHS if it gets horrendous :sad:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I am, first day of working from home today. I even put my shirt and tie on so it seemed like proper work. I did the full 7.5 hours as well. I've probably got enough work to keep me going for a week (designing pipework and process plant for a water supply works) but after that I've no idea what will happen.

Once the 7.5 hours was up I cleared the laptop off the table and got the wheel building jig out :smile:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Full on working from home
Our business is Care Homes and Sheltered Housing for the elderly.
Lots of work going on behind the scenes to keep the wheels turning to look after vulnerable.

On the plus side, good job security and technically I’m classed as a ‘key worker’ which could come in handy at some point.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

ssnowman wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm I've told my wife that all the DIY stores are closed and therefore I can't do anything around the house :grin:
Not too far from the truth, I needed some guttering to finish a job (so I can put the bill in) most local builders merchants are shut, the few that are open require orders to be phoned in and wait for a call back to collect it, I put in my order at 7.35 this morning, called at 12.05 to collect it!
I think it is time to stay home.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 pm shirt and tie on
:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Actively working from home. It's good to catch up on office work without the pressure from the constant flow of new lab generated results.
I also get to ride more, as it's easier to keep my working hours in control and I don't have the commute.

Today, next to other things, I ran a 4.5 h training for our apprentice in excel, on work I had to do anyways. Then I left at four for a lovely 3 h ride in a fairly strong and cold northerly. The snow melt and mud has frozen solid which made things intersting.

The situation isn't too sub standard for everbody thankfully.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm 10 days ahead of the rest of you (apart from Gairy and Alpin) so am at a fairly advanced stage of "Project Deforestation" we have about 1 km of dry stone walls on our finca which unlike their UK cousins are not very tall but very wide. About 2/3rds are clear of undergrowth but the area where our olive trees live is overgrown with a nondescript bush that eventually overwhelms the good trees making harvesting olives impossible. Clearing is a matter of using a brush cutter to clear the undergrowth then chainsawing the trunks, it's hard work and a combination of brambles and prickly tumbleweed. It creates mountains of brashing which has to be burnt but this time of year we're only allowed to do this between 9 and 12am. Given we've got at least another 3 weeks of lockdown, we should have it al licked into shape and about 5 tonnes of olive wood for the next few winters heating which should save us about €800.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Me and Mrs Ftk are both key workers, she being a nurse and my new
Career of a few weeks is a Bus driver, so difficult from home :grin: ,
However we've already been put on a 3 day week with the possibility
Of staff being voluntarily furloughed as passenger numbers are very
Low. Eldest daughter home from Uni early, other son & daughter both
Laid off from work, my sons g/f has also decided to stay with us and
Ditched her parents so she can see my lad....so full house, wifey has
Plans of diy for me on my shortened week, my Salsa needs a rejig so
That will be done though finances will hamper upgrades :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:54 pm
sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 pm shirt and tie on
:-bd
It might be the end of the world as we know it but there are standards to maintain :grin: Jane calls me Mr Ben as I have to wear the correct outfit for whatever I'm doing, fixing the bike = workshop clothes, riding = cycling kit, watching telly = lounging clorhes :smile:

Also, I've read that wearing your normal work atire helps maintain motivation. It sort of worked as I think I spent less time than normal on here, so only about 30% of my day :lol:

I didn't think my job could be any more boring but it turns out doing it in the dining room is a new record for disinterested :lol:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Working from home now and the foreseeable future for the first time ever.

Very strange.

Will definitely go out for a ride tomorrow before starting work though as I didn't today and I'm regretting it.

Si
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I'm retired and so I've already done most of the big DIY jobs.

Currently writing a novel, with no illusions that it will be of any interest to anyone but me and that bloke that barks at ducks.

I will be doing a bit for Royal Mail at Easter so I might be delivering those tools/bike parts/latex specialties you lot have ordered to pass your time.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Full time working from home. As no one is buying cars and our factories are now shut we have no income, and no view on when things will pick up. Currently working out how we can still develop the future models with a very different organisation. Not a particularly pleasant task........

Still, don’t have to iron shirts like Sean has to though 👍
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Worked from home today but work sources drying up as most of my time is spent answering enquiries from public / Councillors and they all have bigger things to worry about than road safety and Traffic Management stuff. But got to keep 7 staff members motivated and happy so a fair bit of back and forth comms. As the situ develops I expect to get drafted in to who knows what but I'd rather do that than sit at home and twiddle my thumbs.

Got plenty of motorbike stuff to get on with so will be doing a fair bit of shed time in the coming weeks :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Wifey is the main bread winner and has been working from home for a couple of weeks, she is genuinely busy. My gardening business has stopped, people either don't want you round or now have the time to do their own. I saw this coming and did my HGV training. Class 2 test was booked for last Thursday, last test was done on Wednesday. I've got an old license with the 7.5t entitlement, have completed my CPC so am just waiting for my tacho card to turn up. So it's a bit of delivery driving possibly, I've also applied to just about every supermarket for a job.