New to all this, anyone oop norf? (Durham area)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

durhambiker

New to all this, anyone oop norf? (Durham area)

Post by durhambiker »

Hi folks,

Just getting into bikepacking currently, having done one little basic trip (all on-road and using a tent) and looking to do similar this weekend. Wondering if there's anyone else in the Durham/Newcastle area I can steal knowledge and expertise from ;)
paul78

Re: New to all this, anyone oop norf? (Durham area)

Post by paul78 »

Live in Newcastle not far from the Tyne Tunnel.

Shout me if you want any info
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I live in Durham (South Stanley) and I am by no means an expert but I've picked up a few tips from just being on this forum. I also learnt a lot when doing the WRT this year. I've always been into cycling/camping which has now progressed to bikepacking. The kit you can get now is much better than it used to be and you can venture off road a lot more without too much compromise in handling and weight of your bike. Drop me a line and I'll help you if I can. I don't know anyone else in the Durham area who's into this kind of thing so it would be great to hear from you. ;)
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

I'm relatively close (Redcar) if you gents are ever planning a trip
Firmo
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Good to know there are at least a few about! Definately need to sort something out at some point.

rocklobstercat, where abouts in the Stanley area? A lot of my work is around Stanley
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

New estate not far from Craghead, what about you?
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Near Neville's Cross. Don't work in Craghead at all but pass through fairly often, work round South Moor a couple of times a fortnight
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Where do you ride normally? That trip you made recently with your tent sounds interesting, where did you go and how was it?
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Was fairly basic, was all covered on-road too. Rode from Durham over to Middleton-in-Teesdale via Hamsterley. Didn't even take kit for cooking/making a brew. Scenery was great, and was alright for an intro. We're heading out again tomorrow night, this time heading along the lines through Lanchester out to Allensford. Had a play around with packing, so now got the tent and sleeping mat in a large drybag on the bars, sleeping bag in a dry bag on the seatpost, leaving more room in the backpack for my newly acquired MSR Pocket Rocket and other essentials needed for making a much needed brew!
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Sounds similar to the overnighters I sometimes do. Were you wild camping or campsite? I've done a route numerous times up to Hexham area using the old railway lines and some off road sections with a bit of quiet road thrown in. I like the variety which keeps it interesting. I usually stay in campsites in my tent especially if riding solo. There's a one at Rookhope I want to try that only allows cyclists and walkers (no cars!). I've also been thinking of doing the Coast & Castles route camping along the way.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Just got back from Allensford. So far we've gone with campsites (not been able to convince the better half to go for wild camping yet...) so fairly civilised. Easy access to clean water etc.

Managed to improve the kit a bit over last time. I carried my sleeping bag (cheap Tesco mummy bag) in a 10l Tesco drybag attached to the saddle. Then the tent was mostly on the handlebars, along with my sleeping mat (both also Tesco) in a 20l Tesco drybag. Pocket Rocket, gas cannister, mess tin from the pound shop, pump and clothes in my Osprey Talon 22 along with a 3l bladder (want to try to cut down on the amount of kit on my back though) and a small frame bag with spare tubes and tools.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Sounds like you had a good trip. Tried to get my better half into this kind of thing for years but to no avail, so you're lucky. ;)
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Aye was enjoyable, great weather for it too. Realised that folding self-inflating mats 3 or 4 times gives you quite a comfy chair which resulted in us lounging around until lunch time drinking tea before heading home. Nice quick ride back along Sustrans route 14 after the initial climb out of Allensford.

Initially she wasn't in to the idea, as she does camping her own way and didn't fancy having to cut back on kit. But after a couple of succesfull outings she's getting into it now.