I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
fatbikephil

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by fatbikephil »

Its a bit ambiguous though, whats daily exercise - your 30 minute minimum recommended, an hour, two. Why not just go for three?? You see what people will be thinking.....

Oh well, at least I have a very local (small) hill to run up and down once a day, just better book my slot as I suspect a lot of people in the village will have the same idea..... And hopefully the food supply and rationing issues will be sorted as you don't want to go down for your shopping, only to find there is nowt there and you have to go to another shop, then another, then another.....
RIP

Post by RIP »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:04 pm the mentality is just like after budget day when tax experts come out of the woodwork to find loopholes that will benefit them.
Good analogy. By our nature in This Place we're not that keen on rules but pretty clear that Rule#1 is paramount.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bugger, I'd ordered some tools so that I could try some basic bike mechanic stuff while I couldn't ride them anyway and it looks like they won't be arriving until after lockdown is over now.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

so we find out once we are at work whether we are allowed to go ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 pm Its a bit ambiguous though, whats daily exercise - your 30 minute minimum recommended, an hour, two. Why not just go for three?? You see what people will be thinking.....

Or, one hour late at night and then another early in the morning (but forgetting to return home between times :wink: )

If I can ride or run for an hour a day, I'll take that. a 10km run or a quick loop round the singletrack in the woods at Boat of Garten will have to suffice for a while. Jealous of a couple of my mates who live at Coylumbridge though :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 pm so we find out once we are at work whether we are allowed to go ?
This is all happening at a rate of knots. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a legally watertight definition to be drawn up in a couple of days.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 pm so we find out once we are at work whether we are allowed to go ?
I imagine that the list of essential workers will be very similar to the one already in existence for those allowed to leave their kids in school post shut down.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I don't think it's reasonable to expect a legally watertight definition to be drawn up in a couple of days.
Agreed but if you want to stop everything non essential you may have wanted to offer a definition, to the people, before the point they have to leave for work . I dont think its unresonbke to epect them to have thought about this or prepared some guidlines.

Key workers will know they are fine but it does not seem clear to me whether say a builder can go to work tomorrow - i very much doubt they can in someones house but on a site - can they ? Factory workers making diesel engine parts - still to go in or not?
Seem odd to not know what does or does not count.
I know they cannot list everything/all scenarios but to provide nothing is a dereliction of duty.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not sure it's about key worker definitions, the criteria is whether or not it's physically possible to work from home rather than a workplace so someone working on a production line making widgets has to be there whatever they are making whereas someone who works in accounts doing payroll or sales ledger can work at home.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:51 pmOr, one hour late at night and then another early in the morning (but forgetting to return home between times :wink: )
That immediately crossed my mind however you'd be at the mercy of nosy neighbours, my guilty conscience and the thought police. I'd probably not sleep a wink with worry in any case....

Heres a thing, currently listening to 6 music (other radio stations are available) and it occurred to me that radio provides entertainment and communication for a large number of people and will therefore be particularly important in the next few weeks. So will the powers that be work something out with the Beeb et al to allow shows to continue??

I f**king hope so....
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 pm
Heres a thing, currently listening to 6 music (other radio stations are available) and it occurred to me that radio provides entertainment and communication for a large number of people and will therefore be particularly important in the next few weeks. So will the powers that be work something out with the Beeb et al to allow shows to continue??

I f**king hope so....
I think a lot of the presenters are already working from home thanks to the wonders of modern technology (well the 5Live ones are anyway).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Is it too late to buy shares in internet, TV and phone providers?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I noticed in Italy the police used strava to fine a rider who uploaded a 100km ride 135 euros! Also, where have most of the votes gone for the poll?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Seems some are thinking a bit bigger than that
https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... s-vaccine/
Nice to profit from the suffering of others.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

oh my
FLV

Post by FLV »

https://thepooptool.com/

This amused me briefly :grin:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

as it did me ahaha thanks, made me smile.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 pm
Seems some are thinking a bit bigger than that
https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... s-vaccine/
Nice to profit from the suffering of others.
It just seems unjust that someone shot president Reagan, utter Clint.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

So now we're allowed one form of exercise a day.

You all laughed at me for having 43 bikes and 75 sets of cycling clothing.

Who's laughing now, eh? ! 😂😂😂😂

-------------

Stay safe out their, ride well within your limits, and don't burden the NHS
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:51 pmOr, one hour late at night and then another early in the morning (but forgetting to return home between times :wink: )
That immediately crossed my mind however you'd be at the mercy of nosy neighbours, my guilty conscience and the thought police. I'd probably not sleep a wink with worry in any case....
I'm currently stuck at my parents house (long story, involves rather rapid terminal cancer) and it's non essential that I go back home.... and neighbours round my parents way are nosy... :roll: Don't have a bike here either as I was only gonna be around a few days... oh and a boot full of rubble making the car sit on it's bump stops(as I was gonna drop it off at the tip on my way through before the lockdown but it was so busy I decided not to risk it).

Stay safe out there, and if you watch one thing about this thing, this is really good and just factual. https://youtu.be/BtN-goy9VOY
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm currently stuck at my parents house (long story, involves rather rapid terminal cancer) and it's non essential that I go back home....
Sorry to hear that Zip. Sounds proper sh1t.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:48 pm Bugger, I'd ordered some tools so that I could try some basic bike mechanic stuff while I couldn't ride them anyway and it looks like they won't be arriving until after lockdown is over now.
Bike shops can stay open and mail order is all clear.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-to-close

Zippy, really sorry to hear that.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

At least I'm here and able to see my mum whilst I can, it would be even worse being stuck at home and not able to see my mum before she did pop her clogs....(although I could probably swing it if I did get stopped for whatever reason under the care reason...)
Other than that, only real problem (not an actual problem, just a minor annoyance) is I might not have enough plaster to finish plastering back home :lol:
jameso wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 am Bike shops can stay open and mail order is all clear.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-to-close
Excellent - all the things I would normally buy from, apart from perhaps a cafe (which under the circumstance I would have probably avoided)...life can continue as normal for me! :mrgreen:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did have an email this morning saying that carriers will still deliver but you must be in when they call. They won't leave any parcels and they won't make any return visits. I suppose it's not like anyone's going out though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:42 am At least I'm here and able to see my mum whilst I can, it would be even worse being stuck at home and not able to see my mum before she did pop her clogs....(although I could probably swing it if I did get stopped for whatever reason under the care reason...)
Tough times Chris, been there, not nice.

I couldn't see any cop arguing with you and saying anything other than a genuinely sympathetic "Mind how you go sir" .
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry