I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Chew

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Chew »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 pm Think it's just a case of editing the OP.
:geek:
Sorted it

If people want to revote ^^^^ :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

How many calories in grass?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 pm Think my choices will be either set up some sort of Heath Robinson home gym or just get fat. :cool:
In the last week I've started drinking again... I'm not a recovering alcoholic :lol: I just stop from my Birthday at the end of Feb to the HT550 but I've cancelled my ITT now. I had a few ales on Fri/Sat and Sunday evening. I've also hardly done any riding and I've been eating more.

On Sunday's weigh-in (myself and Jane have our own Chub Club) I'd gone from 11 St 4.25 lb last week to 11 St 2.25 lb this week, which is the lightest I've been this year :???: So perhaps if this trend carries on I'll get back to 10 St 10 lb which is my 'race' weight :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:10 pm

In the last week I've started drinking again... I'm not a recovering alcoholic :lol: I just stop from my Birthday at the end of Feb to the HT550 but I've cancelled my ITT now. I had a few ales on Fri/Sat and Sunday evening. I've also hardly done any riding and I've been eating more.

On Sunday's weigh-in (myself and Jane have our own Chub Club) I'd gone from 11 St 4.25 lb last week to 11 St 2.25 lb this week, which is the lightest I've been this year :???: So perhaps if this trend carries on I'll get back to 10 St 10 lb which is my 'race' weight :-bd
Yeah, I weighed myself last night expecting a significant increase but I've only put on a few pounds despite no riding for the last month (for various reasons). I've found myself making a conscious decision to eat smaller portions to make the food that we do have last for longer (reducing the need to go shopping which must now be a high risk activity). I think food rationing as experienced during WW2 is a real possibility in the next few months.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 pm How many calories in grass?
Plenty of pine cones to bulk up the grass in your neck of the woods isn't there? :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:17 pm I've found myself making a conscious decision to eat smaller portions to make the food that we do have last for longer
My post makes it look like I've started eating to excess, but most of the extra I've been eating is veg as there's loads of it in our supermarkets.

I was concerned it was running out the other day when we had sprouts in March :shock: but they are one of Jane's favourites and there's plenty at the moment so well be having lots more of them. At least her work colleagues will be wearing masks at the hospital :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

This may seem a strange statement given their relative positions on the league table of infections and deaths but I feel much safer here in Spain than in the UK. I went out today for food, one of the very few things we're allowed out for, I only needed to visit one supermarket and got 99% of the things we needed. The only thing missing was fizzy water which we can live without. The rules say such trips have to be made on your own and it was interesting to see a large number of middle aged men wandering around the shop with lists balanced on their trolleys talking on the phone, presumably receiving instructions from home. About 80% were wearing masks and gloves and all the staff were similarly attired. Social distancing was strictly adhered to, no queueing to get in, no fighting over toilet rolls, not the usual choice on the shelves but not bad. The only section closed was the bakery apart from bread as usually you have to pick up buns and pastries by hand. I didn't feel I was in imminent danger of some idiot coughing or sneezing all over me, people took it in turns to get things from the shelves and only bought what they needed. Now I know my situation is better than a lot, living in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure I'd suit being cooped up in a flat in the middle of Madrid or Barcelona, at least I can work on the land and tinker with my bikes. The seemingly draconian measures from the Spanish authorities have really hammered home the seriousness of this pandemic and people are generally aware that they have a responsibility to minimise it's spread.
I think it's important to consider the relative infection and death rates between different countries not as I said earlier as a league table but as a position on a particularly horrible escalator. The UK got on the escalator behind Italy and Spain but if this lack of strong leadership leading to selfish and short sighted behaviour continues, the UK will soon be jostling it's way up the escalator which will quickly get very steep and long.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:26 pm
I was concerned it was running out the other day when we had sprouts in March :shock: but they are one of Jane's favourites and there's plenty at the moment so well be having lots more of them. At least her work colleagues will be wearing masks at the hospital :lol:
I have sprouts all year. Toss them in some olive oil and pepper, then roast them until the outside is almost black!
Jurassic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:18 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:08 pm How many calories in grass?
Plenty of pine cones to bulk up the grass in your neck of the woods isn't there? :lol:
Yeah - and there might not be so many squirrels after a while :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Most of the UK's fine tbf Duncan. It's easy to see images of a few idiots in the media and extrapolate them across an entire country but it wouldn't be accurate. I've been out at lunchtime today and done a full shop, got everything I wanted and everyone was a respectable distance apart.

A week ago I stayed in a suburb of Barcelona for a few days and the supermercados were like a war zone :lol:, but again obviously that isn't the case across all of Spain.

Good work Chew btw. :-bd
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I will say that I also have no clear picture of what it is really like, but warn against observational bias when you point out non social distancing. You cannot see most of the people doing it properly, because they are doing it properly.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I visited perhaps my last client today, I wore gloves and kept well away from everyone.. however there was still a shared towel in the toilet, lunchtime came, five of them bundled into a car, after returning from Tesco,s they joined the other staff in the small canteen.

I photographed the job completion paperwork then, binned it, followed by carefully removing my gloves and cleaning my hands. Although I absolutely need to work I am feeling nervous mainly due to others who for some reason are still not taking this seriously.
What I can’t comprehend is how after seeing footage from Italy that some folk can’t see where this is heading.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

My brother in law (nurse) just walks straight into the house and has a full blown conversation with us after a shift ~X(

Edit - still with his uniform on the daft twit
Last edited by voodoo_simon on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Can we relax the BAM rule a little to include your own garden for the duration of this sub standard storm please?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Cyclist fatality on Honister Pass yesterday 😥 Big emergency response out.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 pm Can we relax the BAM rule a little to include your own garden for the duration of this sub standard storm please?
I suggested that on the BAM thread, there was no outrage so I'd say that's voted in by 2 votes to nil :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you can go out for one cycle ride whilst self isolating- he never specfified a time or distance which i am sure some will latch on to.
i think i will just cycle to work
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I really hope people listen. The more people stop acting like twats, the less time this will last (at its most severe levels).
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 pm you can go out for one cycle ride whilst self isolating- he never specfified a time or distance which i am sure some will latch on to.
i think i will just cycle to work
You guys are just about to begin the same arguments and discussions we've been having here for the past week.

Here's what I suggested in a biking WhatsApp group conversation the other day:
The attitude change that needs to happen is.....

Instead of asking:

"How I can make these restrictions work for me and minimise their impact on my normal day-to-day life/activities?"

.....we should be asking.....

"Are the restrictions sufficient or do I need to do more in order to make sure that the fucking curve gets flattened asap?"
After all the only thing that's being asked of folk is to stay inside for a bit so shitloads more people don't die - surely that's not an unreasonable request???
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Nothing wrong with cycling to work as far as BJ advice. (At the mo)
I certainly am continuing.
Today was bliss,saw about a dozen vehicles.
Popped into town to get dads eye drops. It was like a specials track!! 👻(Sorry VS!)
The odd thing..... Loads of wrinklies were in town.....so much for isolating!! Don't they realise that they could end up toast or worm food? 🏺⚰️
I appreciate some dont have anyone to help them,but it's a bit risky!!
Insanity over vanity
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

What Rich said! ^^^^
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The garden's going to get a lot of attention!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well said Gairy, seems to me the mentality is just like after budget day when tax experts come out of the woodwork to find loopholes that will benefit them. "Didn't specify time or distance" ffs! people are dying and many more will die. With that attitude there really is no point, society is dead.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Spot on Gairy!
I am fortunate to be working on my own in a workshop.
If we are restricted fully ,then we need to comply .
I care for my 90+ father,as a lot of others do on this forum, so I am not interacting with anyone except across a counter wherever possible.
A few months is a small amount of time , hopefully a vaccine Will be discovered in the near future.
Insanity over vanity
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m not sure what the PM actually meant the BBC news site reported it as “ travelling to and from essential work” My work is non-essential (and almost non existent due to being in the entertainment industry) I’m taking it as am not allowed in.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:32 pm I’m not sure what the PM actually meant the BBC news site reported it as “ travelling to and from essential work” My work is non-essential (and almost non existent due to being in the entertainment industry) I’m taking it as am not allowed in.
From Nicola Sturgeons briefing - a definition of "essential work" is currently being drawn up. I think the plan is to have something ready tomorrow.