Rat advice sought!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Rat advice sought!

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Slightly off topic, but beats the "other" topic!
I am trying to rat proof my shed/ workshop, anyone got an idea how big/ small a hole a rat can fit through?
I know it probably depends on the size of the rat!
The one I have seen is quite big, when food becomes rationed I think it will be worth a few quid!
I have blocked just about everywhere I can find but in a few places I could get my finger in the gaps, surely a rat couldn`t fit through those??
Any ideas welcomed.
Cheers
In Reverse

Re: Rat advice sought!

Post by In Reverse »

Get a Manchester Terrier and plus its bed in the shed. A great ratter.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Are you trying to keep it out, or in?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A rat can squash down through a very small hole given its size.

Is there anything a rat could eat in the shed. Usually if you remove ALL food sources then they leave quite quickly. All includes moving bird feeders away or placing something under them to catch any falling bits.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Electronic rat trap with peanut butter bait.

Had a few under my floor recently. Found they had been coming in through a redundant drain. After blocking it up, I now had the problem of trapped rats trying to gnaw their way to freedom. Tried baited normal traps which they just ignored. Electronic one did the trick though!
May satan walk with you
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:36 pm A rat can squash down through a very small hole given its size.
This, they are tenacious as hell. In our last house the best solution was to encourage the local fox.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Don't do what a friend did when he was at college in a flat.

He decided to shoot the rat. So he got an air rifle. Unfortunately he wasn't a good shot, in fact he was an awful shot. The rat would run back and forth whilst he tried to kill it. His shots did find a target: the water pipes behind the plaster board. The flat downstairs got flooded :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

the best solution was to encourage the local fox.
I've been trying that for months but MrsPB found out :shock:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Awww, give the poor wee ratty a home!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

remove ALL food sources
And that includes cushions for patio chairs although I suspect mice rather than rats. :o
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Mariner wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 pm
remove ALL food sources
And that includes cushions for patio chairs although I suspect mice rather than rats. :o
Just had a mouse make a home by munching through the patio cushions. Hes gone now, cute litle chap
Jurassic pusher

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:14 pm Get a Manchester Terrier and plus its bed in the shed. A great ratter.
We`ve got a Lab and all he wants is to play ball!
Jurassic pusher

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 pm Are you trying to keep it out, or in?
It did cross my mind that if it is still in after my efforts then its not getting out!
Jurassic pusher

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:36 pm A rat can squash down through a very small hole given its size.

Is there anything a rat could eat in the shed. Usually if you remove ALL food sources then they leave quite quickly. All includes moving bird feeders away or placing something under them to catch any falling bits.
No food source at all only tents tarps and tyvek!!
Last edited by Jurassic pusher on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic pusher

ssnowman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm Electronic rat trap with peanut butter bait.

Had a few under my floor recently. Found they had been coming in through a redundant drain. After blocking it up, I now had the problem of trapped rats trying to gnaw their way to freedom. Tried baited normal traps which they just ignored. Electronic one did the trick though!
I didn`t really want to murder the poor creature, if it died under a bench it would stink the place out!
Jurassic pusher

Dave Barter wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:41 pm
This, they are tenacious as hell. In our last house the best solution was to encourage the local fox.
There was a badger outside the shed last year I left it to go away, wasn`t best pleased with being cornered
Jurassic pusher

whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:56 pm Don't do what a friend did when he was at college in a flat.

He decided to shoot the rat. So he got an air rifle. Unfortunately he wasn't a good shot, in fact he was an awful shot. The rat would run back and forth whilst he tried to kill it. His shots did find a target: the water pipes behind the plaster board. The flat downstairs got flooded :shock:
If I had a sawn off shotgun I maybe able to hit one from 6 feet!
Jurassic pusher

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 pm Awww, give the poor wee ratty a home!
I do feel a little guilty because I dont think it has done any damage, but the weather is perking up and a dusty shed is no place for a rat in the spring.
Last edited by Jurassic pusher on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No food source at all only tents taprs and tyvek!!
Make sure they're well out of the way - they'll happily eat those.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic pusher

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm
I would hate to lose my Tyvek collection, as a Carpenter I regularly sub contract to a roofing firm, helping repair timber work before a re roof, every time, without exception when the Tyvek roofing felt comes i cut off a 7` length, I`ve got heaps of the stuff!
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 pm
ssnowman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm Electronic rat trap with peanut butter bait.

I didn`t really want to murder the poor creature, if it died under a bench it would stink the place out!
It will die in the trap, instantly electrocuted!!
May satan walk with you
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:02 pm
An old work colleague told a story of a secret stash of cash behind a loose brick in an outhouse that his wife didn’t know about. It amounted to some £50 - quite a bit of money in the 1960s - but when at last he went to get it out a mouse had used it to build a nest. It was all chewed into tiny pieces.

My secret stash is much better hidden. But what if I get “it” and kick the bucket? No one will know where it is. :o I’d better get it spent before it’s too late
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 pm My secret stash is much better hidden. But what if I get “it” and kick the bucket? No one will know where it is. :o I’d better get it spent before it’s too late
Better PM me the details just in case :grin:

The workshop across from mine burnt down a couple of years back, the chap was a van mechanic. He had a biscuit tin full of £20s, a lifetimes worth of cash jobs, over £50k was the rumour :cry:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Have you tried a "No Rats!" sign?
Jurassic pusher

ssnowman wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:17 pm
Jurassic pusher wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:56 pm

It will die in the trap, instantly electrocuted!!
Yes, I was a bit slow on the uptake there.
I am rather keen on Peanut butter myself so could be a bit risky!