Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you using a pre unit motor Stu?
Which one? British I assume?
AJS Model 20.

Sorry for the picture featuring a Triumph lump but Daryl was the only person I could think of that (a) had a chopper (b) had a crossbow (c) was suitably scruffy looking :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Aha! 1950ish, twin, three bearing crank,nice looking rounded features! A burman box?
I have limited knowledge about British bikes to be honest,I like a few singles ie. Panther's, rocket 3 (hence Laverda triples,only 180° though!)
Plus.. kh triples, v-twins, and anything with More than 4cylinders, 😁
Insanity over vanity
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, this one's '59. 3 bearing crank, internal top end oil feeds and as you say, nice curvy looking engine. AMC box and I might treat it to a belt drive but I also might not.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Cool! Belt drive!! :-bd
Be interesting to see the bike!
Insanity over vanity
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 pm In my excitement to cut my new mudguard up, I forgot that I also got a book on making crossbows. This will likely be me by summer's end :-bd

Single speed then Stu?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Single speed then Stu?
I was thinking I might spray it candy blue with a little flake but forego the SS insignia :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The postman brought me a Lezyne Pocket Drive pump. I knew from the dimensions that it would be smaller than my current pump (Lezyne Alloy Drive Small) but it really is tiny. It's a high pressure pump, 160 psi max, so aimed at smaller volume tyres. I tested it on the mtb (29 x 2.35) and after deflating the front tyre I pumped it back up without issue although it obviously took a bit longer than with the larger pump due to the reduced volume per stroke. I can also confirm it works with #adventure bikes (650 x 42) as I only noticed the front tyre was flat on that once I'd let the air out of the mtb tyre :roll:

Pictured with a Lezyne Alloy Drive small and an Exposure Joystick for scale. As it's rated to 160 psi I might also be able to use it as an emergency shock pump? My forks and shock are both set at less than 160 psi so it could be used to top-up on a big ride if a slow leak/loss of pressure is an issue.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it one with a hose that kindly unscrews the valve core for you on removal Sean?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've never had it happen but I have heard that this can happen to the inept and those with limit manual dexterity :wink:

It does have the pressure relief button which should help stop this. I make sure my valve cores are screwed in tight and I only screw the hose on gently.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never had it happen but I have heard that this can happen to the inept and those with limit manual dexterity :wink:
:grin:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

An ANT+ dongle for my ageing laptop so that I can join all the other desperate housebound cyclists on Zwift. Apparently sales of trainers have gone through the roof (Sigma reckon sales are up 450%). :shock:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:41 pm An ANT+ dongle for my ageing laptop so that I can join all the other desperate housebound cyclists on Zwift. Apparently sales of trainers have gone through the roof (Sigma reckon sales are up 450%). :shock:
Jumped back on Zwift yesterday as there’s no way I can not bump into people where I live , forgot how painfully a hour on the trainer can be , one good thing may come out of this though is that I may have a good fitness level when it’s all over instead of just bimbling aLong like normal
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:41 pm An ANT+ dongle for my ageing laptop so that I can join all the other desperate housebound cyclists on Zwift. Apparently sales of trainers have gone through the roof (Sigma reckon sales are up 450%). :shock:
Jumped back on Zwift yesterday as there’s no way I can not bump into people where I live , forgot how painfully a hour on the trainer can be , one good thing may come out of this though is that I may have a good fitness level when it’s all over instead of just bimbling aLong like normal
I found it takes about a month for your arse to get used to the completely fixed nature of a bike on a trainer.

I've been on the trainer all winter - I don't like road riding during winter so need something to supplement things. Then I broke my collarbone so it was a means of trying to keep some fitness. It just happens to have segued into Covid-19.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have an ancient "dumb" trainer, an Edge 705 and a chest HRM. I'm going to see what can be accomplished with that set-up.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

whitestone wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:09 pm
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 pm
I found it takes about a month for your arse to get used to the completely fixed nature of a bike on a trainer.

I've been on the trainer all winter - I don't like road riding during winter so need something to supplement things. Then I broke my collarbone so it was a means of trying to keep some fitness. It just happens to have segued into Covid-19.
In the past when I was a "racer" ( :lol: ) I used to use a trainer and HRM to do intervals, I never managed more than 45mins plus warm up/down due to the chronic boredom it entailed. Yesterday I opted to do a 90min session on Zwift which I managed to complete. My arse was killing me at the end and my wrists were pretty sore as well. As for the Zwift/smart trainer experience, well it was better than nothing and definitely more engaging than sessions used to be on my old turbo trainer back in the day but describing it as fun would be a stretch. I think an hour will be enough in future..........
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The zwift does make the time pass quicker especially when doing one of their set training plans but like you say a hour is ample
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 am I've never had it happen but I have heard that this can happen to the inept and those with limit manual dexterity :wink:
:oops:

I've never had it happen after using loctite on the valve core - which is what I do now....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Zippy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:48 pm I've never had it happen after using loctite on the valve core - which is what I do now....
That's a good idea. When I put the hose on the valve I just spin it on by holding the rubber bit between finger and thumb. It only has to be on very loosely as the o ring does the sealing.

It is amazingly small, it's the sort of size that could be smuggled through customs :o
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:18 pm . When I put the hose on the valve I just spin it on by holding the rubber bit between finger and thumb.
Thing is the air pressure can make the pipe quite quite tight on the core in some circumstances, so that helps with the unscrewing affect.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I only have my mtb tyres at 20 ish psi so I guess that helps. The hose on the new pump has the pressure release button, probably because it's a high pressure model, I'd imagine it's quite tight once up to 160 psi.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Disney+ has just arrived and downloaded to almost every device :lol:

That’ll keep us out is mischief for the foreseeable future :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 am Disney+ has just arrived and downloaded to almost every device :lol:

I dont know where to begin! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

macinblack wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:47 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:58 pm In my excitement to cut my new mudguard up, I forgot that I also got a book on making crossbows. This will likely be me by summer's end :-bd

Single speed then Stu?
Thats an 'orrible thing to do to a unit 650. Looks like a chopped standard frame rather than a full custom job :o
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 pm
Are you using a pre unit motor Stu?
Which one? British I assume?
AJS Model 20.

Sorry for the picture featuring a Triumph lump but Daryl was the only person I could think of that (a) had a chopper (b) had a crossbow (c) was suitably scruffy looking :wink:
Pics!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pics!
I will Phil but I need to get it in a position where I can take a picture. Todays 'ten minutes of magic' was fabbing up a seat hinge for it, yesterdays was finishing off welding up the electrics box and tomorrow I'll rummage about for some 7/8 cds to make some handlebars from :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 am Disney+ has just arrived and downloaded to almost every device :lol:

I dont know where to begin! :lol:
I had you down as a Mrs doubtfire kind of guy... :lol: