65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
jameso

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by jameso »

Richard G wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:30 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:54 pm Compare and contrast.
Bojo's seeming astonishment at a questioner at today's press conference who asked when the police would be enforcing his wishy-washy plea for conformance to the social distancing advice.
The Spanish approach https://www.thelocal.es/20200320/zero-t ... n-lockdown (watch the video, so sad)

The man is a menace.
Yeah, that was astonishing to me. The concept of the police helping enforce this seemed completely alien to him.
It's either The David Brent school of management where he wants to be liked to the point of messing up just to keep popular support, seeming unprepared to make the tough calls early on or take a controversial position that he knows he can defend later. Just moves from one weak position to the next. Or it all covers some deeper scheming.

A government that can be as manipulative as they were over Brexit not foreseeing what would happen this last weekend? Don't take us for mugs. The weather forecast was looking good from almost a week out and we all know what people are like. Shutting the pubs from Saturday, but not until late on Friday? A load of people then party like it was 1999. Who could've guessed eh?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Isn't it just a tapered introduction of ever increasing restrictions? I suspect if they had imposed all the current measures in one go it would have been a (greater) shambles and potentially less effective. It's one hell of a task to shut down and restrict so much of day to day life in a small country with a population of >60 (65?) million.
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ reckon that's the 'plan'.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Try listening to Nicola Sturgeons daily briefing. She has consistently highlighted that we are heading towards a phased lock-down (though obviously constrained by what can be accomplished under the current devolution legislation).
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We don't have the infrastructure in place to police a curfew so it has to be done with the population's consent. The softly softly approach makes Bozo look weak but it's straight out of a behavioural science handbook.

In China, everyone has an app on their phone that's used for identification. When you leave your apartment block, security guards will scan your QR code on the app to id you, you have to have a good reason to leave and they take your temperature. If it's too high, you'll get whisked off to testing. Supermarkets, doctors, etc also have security guards where they'll repeat the process on the way in, including taking your temperature again. It still took them 3 months for cases to start to taper off.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:01 am
Good on you mate. Would love to have the same.
Aye, very fortunate Allen ... I'll try not to squander it.
Could you sort of act as a proxy bivvier please? Maybe you could dedicate each night out to a random Boner. Or even take requests? Erm, could you do me a night near Llyn Caeconroi? Tarp if poss, porridge for breakfast after a 30 minute lie-in gazing at the lakes? Thanks!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have to pass 4 houses in my street to make it to the nearest woods. My next thread will be what tyres for stealthy cycling?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know people will say 'too little too late' but shutting down a nation is one hell of a juggling act without doing extra additional damage to things which might never be repaired. The whole 'people going out' situation probably hasn't been helped by the fact that it's stopped raining after 2 months and the sun's come out ... people were already feeling couped up and frustrated before this started.

I'm very fortunate in that I can isolate and still be outside but I really couldn't imagine living in a terrace row or housing estate right now and in the weeks to come, I believe mental health charities are expecting a large upturn in business.

and - All MBA bothies now closed until further notice.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

it's only been a week here and the kids have gone feral. Ah well, at least we only have to jump over the back fence to get to the mental hospital. :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 am Isn't it just a tapered introduction of ever increasing restrictions? I suspect if they had imposed all the current measures in one go it would have been a (greater) shambles and potentially less effective. It's one hell of a task to shut down and restrict so much of day to day life in a small country with a population of >60 (65?) million.
Seems so (tapered), and the daily conferences seem reassuring that they know what they're doing now, but whether we/they liked it or not I think more restrictions earlier on might have got us to the intended level at the right time. Workplaces weren't acting until there was govt advice/policy, etc. Wetherspoons do what they like and stay open. Doubling every 3-5 days makes a week critical at this stage? Given the police and NHS ability that we have, by the time enough people are taking it seriously it's far more widespread than it could have been. But what do I know. Just speculating and I hope I'm wrong. It may be that the transmission level in a week's time by the time people really are only making essential journeys etc is what they can handle.
gairym

Post by gairym »

^ what he said!

Pretty much what I've been saying.

There's trying not to worry people, easing in new rules so as to not startle folks etc... and then there's procrastinating and doing nowt to the extent that you've missed the boat.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

rather assumes the UK population wish to heed the advice - seems like they did not yesterday with the first bit of nce weather
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm rather assumes the UK population wish to heed the advice - seems like they did not yesterday with the first bit of nce weather
Which, based on recent UK choices and behaviour, seems a tad naive, no?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm rather assumes the UK population wish to heed the advice - seems like they did not yesterday with the first bit of nce weather
A significant proportion of the population seem to think these things don't apply to them. I called into a Co-op on my way home yesterday on my never ending quest to find some flour and a lad of about twenty stood right behind me as we queued for the checkout. I said "You are meant to be two metres away" so he moved off to chat to one of the store workers, presumably a mate, and was replaced at the same distance by a bloke in his fifties.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A tad ? I think even police on the streets wont stop some of them from wanting to do daft sub standard that endangers them and others .
what do the public require to react accordingly ? Its not deaths, food shortages. emergency bailouts.,, companies folding schools closing, etc - what do these ****wits need as evidence before they alter their behaviou

I almost wish there was a way of just letting those who ignore the advice get it without risking others like a great Darwinian leap for mankind
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm no tory but imo the government have done the right thing so far in sticking to the scientific advice.

If it transpires that they've ignored the Chief Medical Officer/Scientific Adviser/SAGE/PHE then they can all go up against the wall but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

jameso wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:31 am Isn't it just a tapered introduction of ever increasing restrictions? I suspect if they had imposed all the current measures in one go it would have been a (greater) shambles and potentially less effective. It's one hell of a task to shut down and restrict so much of day to day life in a small country with a population of >60 (65?) million.
Seems so (tapered), and the daily conferences seem reassuring that they know what they're doing now, but whether we/they liked it or not I think more restrictions earlier on might have got us to the intended level at the right time. Workplaces weren't acting until there was govt advice/policy, etc. Wetherspoons do what they like and stay open. Doubling every 3-5 days makes a week critical at this stage? Given the police and NHS ability that we have, by the time enough people are taking it seriously it's far more widespread than it could have been. But what do I know. Just speculating and I hope I'm wrong. It may be that the transmission level in a week's time by the time people really are only making essential journeys etc is what they can handle.
Indeed, there's a lot of speculation going on. Even some of the "scientific advice" is going to be subject to it. Science isn't absolute (maybe it is but that's a theoretical state we'll probably never reach) and I just hope that's remembered in the longterm. That's not me building up a head of steam to argue against any of the current measures, just speculating (:wink:) about a potential backlash in due course. Even using "science" there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just think the public like a whinge and its like herding cats for any PM - willfully and juboilantly resistant to informatio
Why did they not close everythign down immediately -cats that are infinetly more resistent to simple advice designed tp save tlives than they are resistant to life threatening diseases

I dont think Boris has done well - he lacks the basic ability to engage, sound compassionate and is as statesman like as a buffoon can be - though I accept he is trying his best to tunr Boris down to a three
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Is it possible to reset the poll and edit the thread title to ask everyone to vote again? I'd be interested to see how/if attitudes have changed over the last week.

Chew

Post by Chew »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm Is it possible to reset the poll and edit the thread title to ask everyone to vote again? I'd be interested to see how/if attitudes have changed over the last week.
Unsure if that’s possible??

Where we currently are, I’m more inclined to get out.
It may not be on the bike, but I’m fortunate enough that once I’m 1/4 of a mile from my house I’m in the open countryside.
Switching off, isolation, and a night in the wilds would do us all good. On foot it’s easy to keep away from people and low risk.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm Is it possible to reset the poll and edit the thread title to ask everyone to vote again? I'd be interested to see how/if attitudes have changed over the last week.

Yeah that would be interesting. I haven't done an outside ride since the original poll but I don't see what harm it would do if I did as long as I; a)don't fall off or otherwise injure myself in the course of my ride or b) stay away from other people while I'm out riding. Unfortunately I suspect that we'll end up in the same situation as our friends on the continent with leisure cycling banned to stop people from doing risky stuff.
I'm going to be riding my new turbo trainer to maintain some fitness (hopefully) so that when we eventually see a light at the end of the tunnel I'll be able to get back out doing the real thing that we all love. :|
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Chew wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 pm
Unsure if that’s possible??
Think it's just a case of editing the OP.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Yeah that would be interesting. I haven't done an outside ride since the original poll but I don't see what harm it would do if I did as long as I; a)don't fall off or otherwise injure myself in the course of my ride or b) stay away from other people while I'm out riding. Unfortunately I suspect that we'll end up in the same situation as our friends on the continent with leisure cycling banned to stop people from doing risky stuff.
I'm going to be riding my new turbo trainer to maintain some fitness (hopefully) so that when we eventually see a light at the end of the tunnel I'll be able to get back out doing the real thing that we all love. :|
Don't own a turbo and they seem to be selling out at a rapid rate everywhere :lol:

Think my choices will be either set up some sort of Heath Robinson home gym or just get fat. :cool:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Think my choices will be either set up some sort of Heath Robinson home gym or just get fat. :cool:
Good, positive attitude there. I love the way you're assuming there will be enough food to go around.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:02 pm
In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Good, positive attitude there. I love the way you're assuming there will be enough food to go around.
You beat me to it Scotroutes! :lol: I think there will be food but probably not the choices or quantities that we're used to. Maybe not getting fat won't be such a problem. :|