I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
gairym

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by gairym »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:13 pm Anyone thinking a lockdown may happen soon, very soon?
Despite not even living in the UK any more I'm genuinely bemused/shocked/terrified that it's taken this long for BJ and buddies to do anything meaningful at all.

I effectively can't cycle at all right now and have no idea when it'll next be a possibility (months I'm guessing) but I'll take that over a few extra days of perceived freedom (potentially devastating inaction) every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

But then again maybe I'm wrong? I desperately hope that all my friends and relatives in blighty have an easy ride through the upcoming sh1t storm.

Fingers crossed.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get it over and done with at what cost though?
Exactly but we know that these days, many of the populace appear more 'f*ck you Jack' than 'Union Jack'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 pm Do you think people might actually be thinking that social distancing is simply going to prolong things and might as well just get it all over and done with? That would perhaps seem to be quite a British attitude to the job?

As an aside - I noticed that the co-op are only allowing each customer to buy 2 of any item. I asked the woman on the checkout what would happen if I bought 3 bottles of milk, 2 semi skimmed and 1 whole. How about 10 bottles of red wine if that number was made up from no more than 2 bottles of the same? I was in fact joking but before I knew it, she'd tannoyed the supervisor :wink:
No, there is no "quaint British attitude" some people are dickheads. Following yesterday's closure of pubs, clubs, cafés, etc. our local Co-op was almost empty of alcohol this morning. I was there as I was under orders to get "chocolate" :roll: :wink: The woman on the checkout was saying they'd had some really nasty customers in.

Don't know if you've read the Imperial College modelling document about this. We are in for the long haul, the modelling was suggesting that the four main strategies (social distancing, home quarantine, self isolation and school closures) could only be sustained for so long then some would have to be lifted for a week or two then reimposed. This would continue for twelve months at least. Part of the problem is that for this to "end" we need herd immunity which needs 60% or thereabouts to have been exposed to the virus. That potentially means a lot of deaths.

Anyway, what happens if you buy half a dozen eggs? :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

...might as well just get it all over and done with?
That's pretty much what Bozo was saying only a couple of weeks ago. One of the great misinformation screw ups maybe. Reading the Imperial College report Whitestone posted earlier suggests why that early 'herd immunity, let it sweep through' idea was so dangerous. Got to wonder if it's in the minds of a few of the blitz spirit types who think fighting a virus is like fighting terrorism. Also says why total lockdown isn't the long-term answer. Seen the rate graphs from that report on a few news stories now so it seems to have been influential.
I know of some people who will really struggle with being effectively being imprisoned within their own homes. It’s not just the physical affects of this, it’s also going to be the emotional and cultural ones.
Someone close to me is in the NHS in mental health. Talking to them recently and it's not just the physical side of the virus that is going to have bad effects.
Our recipe uses tinned chick peas
Go on, post it up? :-bd got a couple of tins of those the other day, wasn't much else about! Ms O is on later shifts now so may have to come home to my cooking so I need a few new tricks.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

To provide a glimpse into the future, as from today Generalitat de Cataluña and presumably all of Spain requires everyone that is away from home at any time to carry a certificate detailling the reason for being there. The only acceptable reasons are shopping for food, fuel or pharmaceuticals, visiting the doctor or hospital, going to work or the bank. You can be doing this on behalf of dependants or the elderly.

From our point of view, we've been working hard all week getting the olive trees sorted. When we arrived here, the 200 or so almond trees we've got were in reasonably good order and productive but the 50 olive trees had been neglected for years, we've slowly been pruning and clearing the undergrowth that makes harvesting the olives impossible. Talking to our neighbour a few months ago, it seems many of the older trees are beyond saving so we've bitten the bullet and are felling them. A real shame as some are over 200 years old and chopping them up for firewood seems sacrilege.

Sounds like from the continuing dickish behaviour in the UK, the 2020 edition of the Darwin awards will be quite a thick volume.
gairym

Post by gairym »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 pmA real shame as some are over 200 years old and chopping them up for firewood seems sacrilege.
Damn it, nooooo!

I'm a cabinet maker, what's the chance my note to leave the house for work purposes would cover me driving down there to pick up a few trees worth of wood???
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Sounds like from the continuing dickish behaviour in the UK, the 2020 edition of the Darwin awards will be quite a thick volume.
The problem is that the dickish behaviour will impact on lots of decent people who are trying to do the right thing as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, there is no "quaint British attitude" some people are dickheads
I never said it was quaint.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:51 pm
No, there is no "quaint British attitude" some people are dickheads
I never said it was quaint.
apologies - you said "quite" I've had some wine :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

, what's the chance my note to leave the house for work purposes would cover me driving down there to pick up a few trees worth of wood???
Sorry Gairy, the borders are closed as well. TBF, we sometimes order seasoned wood for the stove in the winter and that's 90% olive wood, the smell is lovely.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 pm
Our recipe uses tinned chick peas
Go on, post it up? :-bd got a couple of tins of those the other day, wasn't much else about! Ms O is on later shifts now so may have to come home to my cooking so I need a few new tricks.
Here it is, this was the printout I used the first time i made it.

I notice it says tinned tomatoes, but I've made it without. The first time I made it to surprise the wife I assumed we had some when i did the shopping for it but turns out we didn't. It didn't seem to matter. I've free-styled with my choice of veg as well. The recipe feeds 4 so if I make that much I save half and freeze or just put it in the fridge for later in the week. I've often ended up with much more than enough for 4 when I go mad on the random veg addition :lol:

Covid 19 is a strange time indeed, as I'm putting a recipe for veg curry on a bikepacking forum :???:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Maybe we need a new thread - "Cooking a balanced diet with what you can scavenge from the shop"??
Following up on Stus post, we do seem to be in a hole - if we fully lockdown we will stop the virus from spreading but won't get rid of it. Also this will f*** the economy and destroy our whole social life. Both could lead to a full on societal breakdown no? Or we let the virus take its course despite the inevitable high number of deaths. To put it another way, we're f*****. Its easy to then think "well I might as well carry on regardless anyway as its not going to make any difference"

I recently read "The Beach" by Nevil Chute. Its a very sobering book and does not have a happy ending. Well worth a read given whats happening today. Having grown up through the '70's and 80's when there was a very real possibility that the muppets running the States, here and Russia could nuke us all out of existence reading it was particularly grim. But it also raises a pertinent point. Governments don't care about the population if they think that there is a "higher benefit" that justifies mass murder.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:38 pm
Following up on Stus post, we do seem to be in a hole - if we fully lockdown we will stop the virus from spreading but won't get rid of it. Also this will f*** the economy and destroy our whole social life. Both could lead to a full on societal breakdown no? Or we let the virus take its course despite the inevitable high number of deaths. To put it another way, we're f*****. Its easy to then think "well I might as well carry on regardless anyway as its not going to make any difference"
It's all about delaying it and slowing it down as they keep telling us. Less people getting sick in the short term to allow the NHS to cope better, also allows the production of more ventilators and other medical assets that are going to be required and in the longer term drugs developed to help treat or mitigate the symptoms and ultimately a vaccine. Lock down will slow it to a stop eventually (as has happened in China) albeit an artificial stop that is unsustainable but it buys time to develop and produce the tools required to effectively combat it. I'm no expert but that's my understanding of things based on what I've read and been told.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

But it also raises a pertinent point. Governments don't care about the population if they think that there is a "higher benefit" that justifies mass murder.
Maybe you're onto something. Have they ever bothered about killing their and other peoples populations (young or old)... there's a book by someone called Koontz. Came up in a twitter feed once and I mentioned it to my dentist who told me its been proven to be a hoax.

The book basically talks about a virus thats developed around Wuhan and let out to the world in 2020. Off course I assumed it must be a hoax (cos the dentist said so and must have believed it). Then I met a retired NHS worker (very senior) and we mentioned it and I telled her it's a hoax. But, according to her, she read very same book about 5 years ago... Conspiracy theory!! Dunno... I think not personally.

They're dirty dogs up there at the top in my opinion... Oh well. Hope I don't get in trouble for talking like that with anyone that loves cheese...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

there's a book by someone called Koontz
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/us/dean- ... index.html

I can't take anyone with hair like that seriously :grin:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:38 pm But it also raises a pertinent point. Governments don't care about the population if they think that there is a "higher benefit" that justifies mass murder.
It's struck me that during BoJo's daily briefings he does seem to be at least as concerned (if not more so) with the economic fallout of all this as he is with the medical and scientific side of things. That probably shouldn't be a surprise given his party and I do understand that the economic situation needs to be addressed as well but I'm surprised he didn't try a little harder to disguise the fact.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Well I said on Tuesday that I'd be quite happily to jump over the Snowdonia wall to get a ride/camp in. However this weekend has seen an influx of visitors in their campervans thinking Snowdonia is a safe haven.
It was like a bank holiday by all accounts!
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... s-17959085

Think I'll stay in and take note of the advice :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Until we are locked down, this will continue. Seams like some folk are treating this as a holiday.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:38 pm
there's a book by someone called Koontz
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/us/dean- ... index.html

I can't take anyone with hair like that seriously :grin:
Yes you're probably right Duncan... It is all a bit too conspiracy theory-ist... :smile:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Covid 19 is a strange time indeed, as I'm putting a recipe for veg curry on a bikepacking forum :???:
Should we move it to the MYOG thread? :grin:

(edited, the rest was a repeat of Duncan's post on that Dean Koontz book)
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Finding this week stressful, or at the very least, it’s sort of getting me down. The voodoo family are in the good situation that we’ve both got secure jobs, but the worry of mini-voodoo hangs over us (schooling), as does wifey-voodoo when she goes to work!

She’s a nurse and last week was very odd, sitting at home waiting her to go into work on nights, we’re almost waiting for her to catch C-19, not a nice feeling :| Anyways, she’s on nights for the next month or so, unless they swap her hours around (she’s the only manager available on her ward!).

She came home today, one of the wards next to her has closed last week (which is odd as two weeks ago there weren’t enough beds!), but staff shortages were to blame (probably true enough), but a patient next door had all the symptoms of C19 but the testers arent giving them the results to confirm (if that’s not bizarre enough, all the other patients on that ward have been tested after this patient and they were happy to realise their results but not the original patient). Now there are rumours that the closed ward will become a C19 ward.

So in short, she’s stuck between one ward with a very suspected case of C-19 and one ward the May become an emergency treatment ward for C-19 (which may be why they aren’t realising the suspected positive test results). Something odd is happening.

Anyhow, just needed a place to off-load, head is a bit mashed after this week and as I say, we’re in a very fortunate (financial position), feel like a right sub standard-bag for off-loading when we’re in a good position
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Anyhow, just needed a place to off-load, head is a bit mashed after this week and as I say, we’re in a very fortunate (financial position), feel like a right sub standard-bag for off-loading when we’re in a good position
I think most people with any degree of intelligence are crapping it over this thing. There can't be many people who don't have a loved one who is vulnerable to Coronavirus for one reason or another. It's good to get it off your chest, a problem shared and all that. Bearbones is providing a valuable service to the community here. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Are we really this stupid? (London, yesterday)

Also...
Snowdonia National Park Authority said its area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday.
Sure, most of us are healthy (not that I am at the moment), but that's completely irrelevant. How would you feel if you killed someone because you passed them the virus, just so you could have a ride with your buddies?

FFS.
Last edited by Richard G on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, the 'I'm on holiday for a fortnight' mentality still seems quite evident.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'<something> Ponds Cafe'. Tempted to drop them a message if you know which it is. And that is the evening after we were told all cafes are shut? Quite bonkers/depressing. "Oh we're all outdoors so it's OK"?. Can't be difficult to go on a 'self isolated' ride in the Lakes if they want one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster