65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Alpinum

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm
Alpinum wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 pm After all I had a 3 year education in virology and molecular biology, worked for a vaccine company and know very well myself how to deal with all that comes with the current situation.
You don’t need a new best friend do you?
Do you have toilet paper?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Good point, lot to be said for a decent brew and biscuit.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Indeed ... what kind of biscuits does she keep in Reg? Owt with chocolate on or nuts in maybe?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 pm
Indeed ... what kind of biscuits does she keep in Reg? Owt with chocolate on or nuts in maybe?
I take it you've seen this site Stu? http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ for nostalgia have a look at the missing in action page - http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/mia/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Imagine the frustration of looking out on the track to our house every day and not being able to go out on the bike.
I can ride off road to here.
Can't even take the dog for a walk, which is allowed, as he passed away in January :sad:
gairym

Post by gairym »

I share your pain Duncan.

My view and nearby trails are similarly glorious and unavailable.

It's not forever!

Soon....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 pm Can't even take the dog for a walk, which is allowed, as he passed away in January :sad:
Too late for this option?

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

A local "character" was stopped by the Mossos d'Esquadra (Catalan police) the other day for taking his goat for a walk, it was on a lead and everything, not sure he got a fine. I'm not "kidding" either. As previously stated, I'm here all week!
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:24 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:19 pm
I take it you've seen this site Stu? http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/ for nostalgia have a look at the missing in action page - http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/mia/
Yep, Fox's triple-choc nut!!!!

Bob, I'm afraid I'm considerably ahead of you there - furnished Our Stu with the book some while ago :wink: .
Compulsory pride-of-place on every Boner's bookshelf :smile:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nice+cu ... 5342477356
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:09 pm
Yep, Fox's triple-choc nut!!!!

Bob, I'm afraid I'm considerably ahead of you there - furnished Our Stu with the book some while ago :wink: .
Compulsory pride-of-place on every Boner's bookshelf :smile:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nice+cu ... 5342477356
Drat! I'd have got away with it if it weren't for you pesky OAPs :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

"http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/mia/"

"Barmouth Biscuit"?????? Well that's got to be a theme for WRT 2020 surely? Is there one hidden under the railway viaduct or something? Or somewhere else? This is like 'Masquerade' all over again. I'd better get down there asap(*)..... although obviously as all professionals know, Abbey Crunch was the biggest loss by far. I'm still in mourning. HobNobs were meant to be the replacement.. but, really? I think not.

Now, "The Story Of Ready Steady Go" from BBC4 at 9pm, to view on "catch up" (whatever that is) after missing it in favour of the Golden Eagles. Tonight's a rollercoaster. Cheery/Sad/Bad/Happy/Cheery/Depressing. The only thing to do is finish on a high note - Eric Burdon, Dusty S, Searchers, superb.

(*) just realised I was meant to be down there at this precise moment. Literally. Had planned to bivi at F***a Fawr tonight.. Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks. :cry: :cry: :cry:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Anyone thinking a lockdown may happen soon, very soon?

Can see Boris going with a soft approach first of the social distancing, then he closed the pubs and restaurants, so can see a lockdown will happen by next weekend.

Saw the parking today at snowdon via the daily post and it seems that people just aren’t getting it, parking that close to each other. Also, llandegla closed today as they are worried that someone will need an ambulance and that the riders weren’t getting social distancing either!

Anyways, that’s just me rambling on and probably creating my own scaremongering :roll:

On a separate note, I do hope things work out for you Big dummy Steve
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given Cornwall and now the Highlands are saying they are effectively closed for tourists/visitors I suspect a full lockdown may well be on the cards.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I don't think there's much alternative to a lockdown as people are just ignoring the stay at home/social distancing requests. It seems like people still aren't realising how serious this is and aren't prepared to inconvenience themselves at all for the common good. 8-|
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I went for a ride today, on my own but no change there. Very quiet on the hills but on the cycle paths between there were loads of people about, large family groups with 3 or 4 generations walking along all next to each other, they really don't get it do they :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think social distancing is generally the norm here, however, I had to go to Llani' this morning which is around 14 miles and only saw one car which is pretty unusual even by our standards. Oddly, I also passed a caravan site and it was rammed :roll:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 pm large family groups with 3 or 4 generations walking along all next to each other, they really don't get it do they :roll:
Unfortunately not...

Anyways, that’s just me rambling on and probably creating my own scaremongering :roll:
Maybe now might be a good time!

1000 extra graves have been dug in Bradford on instruction by the council (saw the Insta/whatsapp vid today) to the people that do that sort of thing (preparation/digging of the graves)... As stated by one of the muslim scholars of Bradford (I'm not sure if he meant, the muslim community or the whole of Bradford in general) who's also muslim chaplain at Leeds Teachin Hospitals Trust, after discussions with local govt, there's estimated to be at least 1000 people needing ventilation in the coming months but only 30 ICU ventilators available... The estimate they/he gave of the deathtoll just in Bradford for the coming months from Covid19 is 6000 deaths!

A very sad situation indeed :cry:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 pm ...she's got nice biscuits :wink:
Ding-dong! I'll say.... :wink:

https://youtu.be/_AqS8ks9op8
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Local Morrisons looking a bit bare but whilst there wasn't a frozen chip to be had, organic new potatoes were in abundance. Nowt cow, sheep or chicken based so looks like I'm going vege. Plenty of salad, onions, tomatoes, couscous (Only 50p a packet!) and crucially, ale. (The lager shelf had been thoroughly tanned). I went in on the motorcycle and wandered round with my lid on and buff over mouth and nose, which got a few funny looks, but its for others benefit..... As I'm using the bike and motorbike for all my shopping trips I can only carry a small rucksack full. It won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things but at least my conscience will be clear....
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Wife’s a department manager of a Morrisons down here Phil , it’s got to the point as of tomorrow they have to start wearing body cams because of all the scrotes it’s a bleedin disgrace
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Meanwhile ...

The ITI has been stopped. All riders have been picked up by S&R and are in the process of returning via plane to Anchorage. Not a virus, mother nature.
As the result of a large storm surge in the Norton Sound that disrupted the sea ice and created flooding, combined with the closure of most villages to outsiders due to COVID-19 concerns, all athletes have been personally contacted and asked to shelter in place once they reach a checkpoint.

Today’s investigation revealed that last night’s winter storm caused water levels to surge 3 to 6 feet above the normal high tide line in the Norton Sound, depending on location. Those surges created cracks in the sea ice, pushed water on top of the ice through those cracks and broke shorefast ice loose on the coast. As a result, all routes over the Norton Bay from Shaktoolik to Koyuk are impassable due to open water or overflow and no consistent overland trails between the villages have been created this winter.

Toni Lund and Jussi Karjalainen, who were both brought back to Shaktoolik last night by search and rescue personnel, were flown to Unalakleet this afternoon to await flights back to Anchorage with the other six athletes who have not yet crossed Norton Bay - George Adams, Graham Muir, Roberto Gazzoli, Willy Mulonia, Asbjørn Bruun and Beat Jegerlehner.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you think people might actually be thinking that social distancing is simply going to prolong things and might as well just get it all over and done with? That would perhaps seem to be quite a British attitude to the job?

As an aside - I noticed that the co-op are only allowing each customer to buy 2 of any item. I asked the woman on the checkout what would happen if I bought 3 bottles of milk, 2 semi skimmed and 1 whole. How about 10 bottles of red wine if that number was made up from no more than 2 bottles of the same? I was in fact joking but before I knew it, she'd tannoyed the supervisor :wink:
Chew

Post by Chew »

Anyone thinking a lockdown may happen soon, very soon?
Recon it’s only a week or so away.

Things seems different here, but I can imagine it’ll be busy on Monday when all of the kids are off school.

I know of some people who will really struggle with being effectively being imprisoned within their own homes. It’s not just the physical affects of this, it’s also going to be the emotional and cultural ones.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:04 pm Do you think people might actually be thinking that social distancing is simply going to prolong things and might as well just get it all over and done with? That would perhaps seem to be quite a British attitude to the job?

Get it over and done with at what cost though? Anyone who has seen what's happening in Italy should be able to understand the whole flattening the curve thing. Some of the accounts from over there are almost unbearable to read, folk with heart attack or stroke aren't even being treated, they're just dying. :shock:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm Local Morrisons looking a bit bare but whilst there wasn't a frozen chip to be had
I said to the wife the other day that as many will starve to death as die from the virus... judging by the gaps in the supermarket shelves there's a lot of people who don't know how to cook anything but frozen pizza and chicken nugets.

We often make a vegetable curry, tastes great, healthy and can use virtually any type of veg. Our recipe uses tinned chick peas but there's tons of them left, luckily it doesn't need tinned tomatoes.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger