Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Todays ride

Post by RIP »

Found a new spot Pete if ur around in, say, late April. My mental tape measure recorded 2m gap between sleeping arrangements :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Sounds perfect! :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bring a bottle party (*) :wink: .

"Perfect" - you have read my BaM reports?? :lol:

(*) or three
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Been looking for birds (no not them types) on my rides for so long that I gave up seeking em out. Today on way back from training/working (manual handling if you must know) I just conceded to being happy with crows afterall. Just thought how elegantly they fly despite being a bit 'rough around the edges'. Few minutes/miles after I'd made my decision that they'd just have to do (along with the beautiful finches that cross the path every so often) it happened.

Stopped at side of a gravel track leading to nowhere (or someones farm) to pray my afternoon prayers and suddenly they were there. Two massive birds of prey (looked like kites) just hanging about midair. Thought to mysekf that by the time I got my camera out they'd be gone, but no. They just kept doing their thing and provid8ng me my own personal show. They even seemed to have a little spat with one another a few times!

Not sure exactly what they were but they did look like kites in shape but not in colour. Faces looked more like an owl but then again they never did come that close. Beautiful...

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Red kite. I used to see them every day on my commutes to Strathpeffer and Inverness as there is a large population up there.
redefined_cycles

Thanks COlin... the floods seems to have brought em in but I could be wrong
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Might have moved their hunting grounds. They'll go for carrion where available, so might be in search small dead animals. They are also generally on the increase in the UK so are spreading out a bit. They used to be really common place but almost died out due to persecution, sometimes not without reason. They were long suspected (possibly correctly so) of spreading disease. They are one of the species that were often referred to as shitehawks. I'll let you figure out the rest :oops:
Boab

Post by Boab »

When we moved here about 14 years ago, there weren't any big raptors like that, now we have loads. Fantastic to watch when then fly over the back garden and paddocks beyond. Saw one at Wicken Fen this morning being watched by a twitcher too. 👍

Had a pair drop a chicken carcass on me once, when I was out foraging for sloes. Got a photo somewhere...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

As stated, a Red Kite. Harewood House between Leeds and Harrogate was one of the main release sites. Closest I've seen them to here (Skipton) was at Grimwith reservoir.

Mid-Wales is Red Kite central, a few years ago we were riding around Rhayader and masses of them flew up in front of us from where they were resting in the trees, it felt like half the sky was covered over with them. They are big birds but pretty delicate so they swoop and grab to feed, rarely landing on the ground.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that... ShiteHawks... Lol. My search for an elegant BofP continues. Hopefully I might see that Buzzard on way to Scaeborough next month again (which Bob kindly pointed out after my excitement that I'd seen an eagle :smile: ).... shiteHawks they may be but looked beautiful regardless... :-bd
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

This mornings ride resulted in a pair of crows and donkeys near shingay. A Barn owl near guilden Morden and a pair of red kite's in ashwell. Plus countless skylarks every day over the last three weeks.
Any one riding near Princes Risborough will literally see a hundred red kite's on a good day, (unfortunately the locals overfeed them,it could result in them being culled if they become a problem I am sad to say)
Look up the kop hill climb weekend, an excellent event, I cycle over every year,got a bit soggy this year!!
Great shots of the KITE'S by the way RC!
Last edited by Cyclepeasant on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity over vanity
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Buzzards are common around here. I'll rarely go out for a ride and not see one. If you're ever unsure whether it's an eagle or a buzzard, it's a buzzard :grin:

If you ever get a chance to see them side-by-side, the differences are obvious. I was riding back from Glen Affric to Drumnadrochit last year and saw two buzzards chasing off an eagle.

When you see your first sea eagle, you'll just think "what the actual feck". :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Back in the 1980s when I was a climber we were climbing on Eagle Crag, Grizedale (leads from Patterdale up to Grizedale Tarn sort of SE of Helvellyn if you don't know where it is). Looking down the valley we could see this huge bird soaring around, even at a distance of a couple of km it was still "big". Then we noticed it was being dive bombed by a pair of peregrine falcons. They climb way above it then dive down. At the last moment the eagle would pull one of its wings to its side and the peregrine would flash past then it would extend the wing again. This went on for a good ten minutes.

Shaf, Buzzards aren't that common in the east of England though they are becoming more so, they used to be very much based towards the west. We've a nesting pair at the far side of the field below the house so we're used to them.

You are usually going to see these birds in silhouette above you so it's worth searching out a field guide showing the differences - pretty obvious when you see them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

How lucky you are to see so many buzzard's SR.
Due to high kite numbers in beds,bucks,Herts area,don't see them very often.
As your in the aviemore area. I used to ride Aviemore area MTB events in 90's . Does the cafe with a viewing bay window to watch birds and red squirrels near there still exist ?
I remember seeing a sparrowhawk (evil) pick off a Finch (cute)with an almighty bang!
The amount of shocked :o customers was a picture!! :lol:
Insanity over vanity
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Super Powered Eagles" on B2 now - just get it watched!

redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 pm You are usually going to see these birds in silhouette above you so it's worth searching out a field guide showing the differences - pretty obvious when you see them.
Yup... thanks for that. I really should get out my 'Birds' guide which we got from Lakes last year and look through it. One thing I did note today was that it was a sunny summers looking day :grin: so winter looks to have finally aubsided and the fliods receded and Spring sewms to be setting in...

Thanks for noticing my pics being nice @cyclepeasant... I do wonder if the Huawei phines make a much better picture than what I managed... wonder what Dave (FLV) would make of em (as he's been looking for a decent cameraPhone...
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

They do appear to produce good photos RC.
My bird pics look like dots with my current phone.
Some Huawei phones have telephoto lenses like the p30 & p30pro. Am just waiting for a new model to be released so I could afford the p30 .
Which model do you have?
Insanity over vanity
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm
As your in the aviemore area. I used to ride Aviemore area MTB events in 90's . Does the cafe with a viewing bay window to watch birds and red squirrels near there still exist ?
There were two. Inshriach was famous for its cakes but didn't do any other food. It has sadly closed (though the cakes are now available elsewhere - at least when there's not a CV epidemic). The other is the Pine Marten bar and cafe at Glenmore, close to the campsite. It will have closed (temporarily) today but should hopefully be open again when the CV outbreak passes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that was an hour well spent!

Interesting to see how their wingtips are so finely designed and tuned. And "most acute eyesight of a vertebrate", didn't know that.

But come on, the most insane bit? Golden Eagle hunting Robo-Hare on a motorbike(*)!!!!!!!!!! How bonkers was that eh? Don't you just love enthusiasm!

(*) British-made Stu. Just get it watched, the blasted thing was doing wheelies, jumps, even forward rolls, the whole fairground. AND DRIVEN BY A RABBIT!!! While the rabbit was being chased by a golden eagle - talk about being cool as a cucumber. Nothing in your career can top that surely? (**)

(**) uh-oh. BIG mistake Reg, BIIII-I-I-I-GGGGG mistake.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:23 am, edited 7 times in total.

Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Hmmm, could have been the pine Martin, was there a souvenir shop attached...or am I thinking of somewhere else?
I went several times,I think one year the event was combined with a music festival, Probably early 2000?
Thanks SR.
Insanity over vanity
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

ImageLast year's WRT. I spent a good five minutes under this one. It was being mobbed by a curlew*, which I guess had a nest on the ground.

*IIRC
redefined_cycles

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 pm They do appear to produce good photos RC.
My bird pics look like dots with my current phone.
Some Huawei phones have telephoto lenses like the p30 & p30pro. Am just waiting for a new model to be released so I could afford the p30 .
Which model do you have?
Galaxy S8... I think that was shot in the highest MP I have at 12 (goes to check... yup 12M) in burst mode. Pretty sure I'm missing lots of features as I noticed the other day I dont have that full landscape mode where you scroll the camera... but then I dont really do my updates at all so maybe they decided to confiscate it off me :lol:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:49 pm Bring a bottle party (*) :wink: .

"Perfect" - you have read my BaM reports?? :lol:

(*) or three
I've lived the dream :roll:
May you always have tail wind.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Not usually an early riser, and definitely not an early morning rider. So no idea what possessed me this morn - perhaps the guilty pleasure of knowing I shouldn't be about.

Me and many others, as it transpired. Dog walkers, horse riders, mtb'ers, etc. The woods hereabouts were full of 'miscreants'.

All of us quite intent on satisfying / fulfilling our chosen habit.

I'll try to be a responsible citizen for the rest of the day ;-)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

.....was quite strange. I had the feeling that this could be the last one for a while (even though there is currently no indication we are going to be all confined to barracks) There were a few folk up in the hills and we all seemed to give each other a wide berth. Aside from that it was a great day out; cool, breezy but dry (dry! dry!) There are still a few big patches of snow around in my local hills (the Highlands are plastered still :roll: ) so spent some hours riding around in them. Away from the usual damp bits the trails are also drying out and the weather is looking pretty good over the next week or so (guess whats coming....)
Firm enough to ride over, just needing low pressures for grip