65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
RIP

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by RIP »

macinblack wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:09 pm
RIP wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:15 pm Not a lot of people realise that 'billgates' is an anagram of 'coronavirus'. It's true that is. I read it somewhere I think.
Legal bits is also an anagram of Bill Gates :cool:
Blimey it actually is isn't it! Either very cleverly done on your part :-bd or amazing coincidence :smile: .

James shows that our riding may get constrained for us despite our best hopes. Consensus seems that hooning, trail centres, big risk taking etc are not sensible for above reasons. Remains to be seen if 'sensible' biking allowed as part of people's exercise/sanity regimes during any lockdowns. Lot less 'dangerous' than many other things although probably perceived differently by normals and 'the authorities'...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Folk should just stay at home and crack on with that DIY backlog. That's bound to end up well... :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:07 pm Folk should just stay at home and crack on with that DIY backlog. That's bound to end up well... :roll:
Aye, I bought a tin of paint yesterday so Cath can paint the bathroom ceiling :lol:

I reckon the garden's going to get a lot of attention this year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:12 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:07 pm Folk should just stay at home and crack on with that DIY backlog. That's bound to end up well... :roll:
Aye, I bought a tin of paint yesterday so Cath can paint the bathroom ceiling :lol:

I reckon the garden's going to get a lot of attention this year.
Pump track?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

More accidents happen at home than anywhere else

Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident

Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home

Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age

More women than men over the age of 65 die as the result of an accident in the home

More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.

The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at £45.63billion (£45,630million) annually.

From RoSPA
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:16 pm
whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:12 pm I reckon the garden's going to get a lot of attention this year.
Pump track?
Given the average grade of the slope is about 20% I reckon a ski-jump would be more appropriate :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Well my answer to my own poll is... I won't be going out anywhere else other than locally, mostly because the mrs says she doesn't want me to.

She's a nurse and is coming from a different perspective. I'm just about getting around cycling to work, for now.

I suggested if I'm riding to work I could have a local bivvy out. She was reluctant but didn't say no.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Speaking of Bill Gates

Take a look at this (skip 4 mins if you want to)

It's his Ted talk from 2015

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates_th ... edcomshare
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

wriggles wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:26 am
Jamesh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:36 am .......

I really wish the Gov would move away from advice/recommendations/grey areas and just state what is absolutely necessary. Perhaps this isn't so clear or just coming over the horizon (ie next week) Most of my friends run hospitality shaped business so feel for them a lot
UK Govt have taken a voluntary approach because they want the public to own the problem and act accordingly rather than wait to be told, but I suspect you are right, they will start enforcing distancing measures before long.

Blimey there are some people on here with far greater challenges than me. Very sobering and massive respect. I will continue to ride solo with care until told not to.

Yeah I totally get that, and the behaviour science aspect to it. I think our nation don't like being told what to do so would rebuke instant strong measures.
In my the above I was more referring to the hospitality industry as i know many in the restaurant/bar/food pop up world who seem caught in a limbo having to rely on their wits or generosity/understanding of landlords to make it work..not insurance.

Today in my local area seemed akin to a bank holiday except very little traffic..every man and and his dog seemed to on a bike ride/hike.
It's time like these I'm thankful/appreciate my luck that I can make some kind of income from my own endeavours.. 4 people have asked me about cash in hand work today and i've heard so many stories of folk being laid off :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Today in my local area seemed akin to a bank holiday except very little traffic..every man and and his dog seemed to on a bike ride/hike.
Yes, many folk would appear to be treating the thing as a 2 week paid holiday but they don't seem to have considered the question 'then what?'
It's time like these I'm thankful/appreciate my luck that I can make some kind of income from my own endeavours.. 4 people have asked me about cash in hand work today and i've heard so many stories of folk being laid off
Again and as I've said a number of times - we're only a week or so in. Society can't withstand a prolonged clamp-down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Unfortunately it looks like this will be for the long haul - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperi ... 3-2020.pdf - short (three month) lock downs only delay the spread, we may have this for two years.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

We have 4 blokes off this week at our place.

2 of them have had a cold for 2 weeks now ,(before it was cool ;-) ), so I think that they are using this virus as an excuse to have a few days off "just in case"

I think if I don't get it and need the time off, I'll save my time off towards the better weather and longer days ;-)

Plus
The numbers aren't as high as the press are scaremongering us into this frenzy to sell us more stuff.
With a little research I found this..
The town of St Helens has a population of 180,049 people.
As of 16th March 2020, there have been
164,837 cases confirmed WORLDWIDE
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Jamesh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 pm Today in my local area seemed akin to a bank holiday except very little traffic..every man and and his dog seemed to on a bike ride/hike.
It's time like these I'm thankful/appreciate my luck that I can make some kind of income from my own endeavours.. 4 people have asked me about cash in hand work today and i've heard so many stories of folk being laid off :sad:
Yep, I rode past your gaff today :-bd i have given up trying to find work for next few months :sad:

Personally id be happy with mandatory social distancing enforced, as I rode past pubs and cafes today full of people so it isnt really happening. Appreciate the flattening the curve and getting it over before winter flu season though.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 pm Unfortunately it looks like this will be for the long haul - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperi ... 3-2020.pdf - short (three month) lock downs only delay the spread, we may have this for two years.
In 6 months time hopefully survival rates for the vulnerable will be much higher due to resources, knowlege and treatment
Plus
The numbers aren't as high as the press are scaremongering us into this frenzy to sell us more stuff.
With a little research I found this..
220,000. Numbers recorded are tiny compared to real estimates. Eg UK 2600 v 60000 estimated. Plus Africa, India and S America havent really got going yet
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I like a good conspiracy as much as the next man but the press dont own much so what exactly are they trying to sell us ?
Secondly I dont know if you have been looking at the companies going out of business, world wide govt offering bailouts, the stock exchange tanking, the closures ,the uncertainity so it seems their plan has spectacularily back fired.
That is confirmed cases howmany nte UK alone are selfisolatingunableto get tested nevere mnd WORLDWIDE?
Secondly how many need to die /be infected and what exactly needs to happen to the country for you to be at least slightly alarmed rather than just sceptical?
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Couple of local shops are shutting their doors but offer a collection service for on line orders. Volunteers are doing collect and deliver to those who are self isolated, so there’s a chance for me to get a pedal in and do a bit of good stuff whilst I’m at it. Just need a delivery that dictates a bivvy :)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Is a good resource for reported numbers

New scientist has some very good articles on the pandemic that avoid tin foil hat nonsense
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

2 of them have had a cold for 2 weeks now ,(before it was cool ;-) ), so I think that they are using this virus as an excuse to have a few days off "just in case"

I think if I don't get it and need the time off, I'll save my time off towards the better weather and longer days ;-)
I'm sure those health workers who are shitting themselves about not having sufficient PPE to protect against them getting infected and possibly die from this virus are pleased that they will have made the sacrifice for a cool disease and that you're planning on pulling a sickie and passing it off as corona virus.
Are you familiar of the first rule of Bikepacking? If not I'll spell it out for you.
DON'T BE A DICK.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I know this situation is both serious and stressful but shall we refrain from name calling in our little community, even if we disagree?

Perhaps it would be best to draw a close to this particular thread.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Ah the thread's fine and John's got a thick enough skin.

You'd have to say that was a quite spectacular post by him though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And at least now we all know what the population of St Helens is. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 am Ah the thread's fine and John's got a thick enough skin.

You'd have to say that was a quite spectacular post by him though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And at least now we all know what the population of St Helens is. :-bd
Agreed. I think folks may have missed the text winkies :cool:

Amazed to find myself vaguely in agreement with Lazarus on some stuff though (don't worry, I doubt it'll happen again :wink:) and as for Piston - no fire ever went out by pouring petrol on it chum :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll just slip this in to keep us on an even keel but do carry on.

May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Strange that only last week a prolific poster on here was referred to in exactly the same words as I used but that passed with little comment. Maybe being a bike maker immunises one from criticism.

I think we're in a perfect storm of governments worldwide having lost the trust of the electorate and the descent into an "I'm alright Jack" selfishness on an individual basis. Following the lockdown here earlier in the week, I was ashamed to see the footage of a large number of Brits abroad in Benidorm wantonly disregarding the restrictions, taunting the police and generally behaving like morons. This crisis has really amplified differences in national psyches.
The world has enough for everyone's need but not enough for everyone's greed. (Ghandi)
FLV

Post by FLV »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 am Strange that only last week a prolific poster on here was referred to in exactly the same words as I used but that passed with little comment. Maybe being a bike maker immunises one from criticism.
Not in my book is doesn't, but in that case the person held their hand up right away and situation was over.

My post was more aimed not letting ourselves degenerate into an online scrap than a specific thing or person. I didn't mean to point a finger really so apologies for doing so, just to say lets keep in constructive and friendly in general.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:58 am Strange that only last week a prolific poster on here was referred to in exactly the same words as I used but that passed with little comment. Maybe being a bike maker immunises one from criticism.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried to find a panda in a tinfoil hat but my google-fu was terrible.
Chew

Post by Chew »

FWIW I thought John came across as a dick too.

Be careful for what you wish for.

Fortunately i'm in a position where this should affect me much, but I'm sure everyone on here will know someone who is. Either by the virus or the knock on effects. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Its a time to come together.
Go and have a chat with your elderly neighbours who are going to have a very tough time over the next 3 months.
Pick up the phone and chat to that friend who has health conditions and who is real risk of this being serious.
Send a text to those people who work on zero hour contracts, or are single parents who will now have to stop working because of childcare issues.
Or say a personal thank you to health workers you pass in the street.