I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
wriggles

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by wriggles »

Jamesh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 am Also I wonder if horse riders are having these discussions!? :wink:
I bet there are a lot of long faces at the moment in that bunch :|
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Jamesh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:36 am .......

I really wish the Gov would move away from advice/recommendations/grey areas and just state what is absolutely necessary. Perhaps this isn't so clear or just coming over the horizon (ie next week) Most of my friends run hospitality shaped business so feel for them a lot
UK Govt have taken a voluntary approach because they want the public to own the problem and act accordingly rather than wait to be told, but I suspect you are right, they will start enforcing distancing measures before long.

Blimey there are some people on here with far greater challenges than me. Very sobering and massive respect. I will continue to ride solo with care until told not to.
FLV

Post by FLV »

wriggles wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:19 am
Jamesh wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 am Also I wonder if horse riders are having these discussions!? :wink:
Take a bow sir...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

UK Govt have taken a voluntary approach because they want the public to own the problem and act accordingly rather than wait to be told,
I'm all for the powers taking a back seat in most cases but in this instance they've left decision making to the media both professional and amateur and it appears that approach isn't working very well :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Blimey there are some people on here with far greater challenges than me. Very sobering and massive respect
Ditto to that... Massive respect
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:33 am
UK Govt have taken a voluntary approach because they want the public to own the problem and act accordingly rather than wait to be told,
I'm all for the powers taking a back seat in most cases but in this instance they've left decision making to the media both professional and amateur and it appears that approach isn't working very well :wink:
I thought about this yesterday on way back from work... can you imagine the panic it would have caused which might have been arguably worse than where we are right not. Shops would/might have been raided already and we may have been at 'madmax' stage already :wink:

Hence letting people own the problem and do one stage at a time may (I'm not saying it is/was as I'm no expert) have been the better option! I tried to start owning the problem and last week rode locally instead of risking being on a train out of Landon!... It is what it is I suppose and we just gotta do our bit as well as brace ourselves and try to like Sean (from the island) said, minimise the risk of needing hospital treatment ourselves for things that might have been in our control (I'm not saying stop riding btw and I guess everyone has to weigh up their risks and what they do... well, maybe the gravity riders that regularly break a clavicle might be wise to abstain :lol: )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am
I thought about this yesterday on way back from work... can you imagine the panic it would have caused which might have been arguably worse than where we are right not. Shops would/might have been raided already and we may have been at 'madmax' stage already :wink:
Except the Home Secretary was being interviewed this morning and was asked that very question. His response was the usual deflection tactics and bluster that you get from politicians when they can't answer the question or the answer is too awkward or reflects badly on themselves. (sorry, getting a bit STW here, have a smiley :wink: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

whitestone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 am

Except the Home Secretary was being interviewed this morning and was asked that very question. His response
Blimey is Pritti Patel a bloke :shock:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

wriggles wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 am
whitestone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:28 am

Except the Home Secretary was being interviewed this morning and was asked that very question. His response
Blimey is Pritti Patel a bloke :shock:
My mistake - the TV was partly hidden and just saw ... secretary. Forget PP was at the Home Office.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh... No....
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 am
Oh... No....

Here all week etc etc
redefined_cycles

Wouldn't usually put up a vid from healthcare stuff. But this one might be beneficial for this thread and help people understand/make best decisions...

https://youtu.be/MoisrCTu0SY

https://youtu.be/3x1aLAw_xkY
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

There's behavioural science behind it Stu - doing things by stages ("we advise against" into "we are asking people not to" into "nobody is allowed to") means that the number of people doing that thing gradually increases and it's much less of a culture shock than just banging it straight in.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's behavioural science behind it Stu - doing things by stages ("we advise against" into "we are asking people not to" into "nobody is allowed to") means that the number of people doing that thing gradually increases and it's much less of a culture shock than just banging it straight in.
I can see that and it makes sense but their diluted message seems to have left the door wide open for every tinfoil hat wearing nutter and hand-wringing doom monger.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Fair one - I guess behavioural science hasn't quite caught up with all the nuances of internet populations yet.

I had an otherwise normal and intelligent bloke tell me at work last week that Bill Gates owns the patent for coronavirus and I "need to do some research". :shock: His wife has recently left him. :lol:

I shouldn't laugh I suppose - I've never even had a wife. :cry:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not a lot of people realise that 'billgates' is an anagram of 'coronavirus'. It's true that is. I read it somewhere I think.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Careful Reg, he doesn't like that sort of thing.

If you're not careful, he'll have you by the legal bits :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

There's probably a giant rotating flashing red alarm light on top of his desktop going off as we speak and lots of heavy blokes jumping into heli gunships but don't worry they won't find me as I'm in lockdown and they

>sudden ominous silence<
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Well, the schools are closed from Friday for the majority of kids.
Boab

Post by Boab »

My son is not happy about having to go for another couple of days. Evidently it was "pointless going today"...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:15 pm Not a lot of people realise that 'billgates' is an anagram of 'coronavirus'. It's true that is. I read it somewhere I think.
Legal bits is also an anagram of Bill Gates :cool:
paramart

Post by paramart »

got home today already on std hours ,unusual for us, had an email telling us don't go to work tomorrow or fri and next week as well, we are getting paid but, I don't think there will be many places open for a trip out on the bicycle or motorbike, what a lot of people forget is if you become a casualty it will impact on a already overstretched medical service so they won't be very sympathetic.
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
jameso

Post by jameso »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:28 pm I had an otherwise normal and intelligent bloke tell me at work last week that Bill Gates owns the patent for coronavirus and I "need to do some research". :shock:
Research-
https://patents.google.com/?q=virus&inventor=Bill+Gates
:grin:
This however, 'microsoft' and 'virus' = loads ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sobering.

My comment -
"...I meant that at the moment it's ok to be outdoors in the UK, for me solo riding, gently in a safe way on easy trails I ride 4x a week isn't raising risks."
An Italian rider from TNR, living in the north -
This is wrong. You in the UK will understand it , as we did here, when people start dying several hundreds per day and hospitals won't be able to manage it. I'm just trying to share our "experience".
I'd stick to my opinion about risk levels, but relative importance of riding and how we all might go about minimising any risk might well change as time goes on. I mean, I understand the benefits to well being but also I can imagine feeling bad that I'm able to even consider a nice morning ride in the middle of a far worse surrounding situation than we have at the moment.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

K1100T wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:07 pm My son is not happy about having to go for another couple of days. Evidently it was "pointless going today"...
My daughter is gutted, she loves school :lol:

We may be ok though as we have a nurse in the family, so we’ll see what happens