Pennine bridleway?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mr conners

Pennine bridleway?

Post by Mr conners »

Is it worth doing?
Myself and my wife were going to Israel to ride the Holy Land trail but the Covid-19 madness has stopped it. We just fancied 3 to 4 days of something mtb based or are there any other options you good people would recommend? We're East Midlands/North West based.
Cheers
Wotsits

Re: Pennine bridleway?

Post by Wotsits »

The Pennine Bridleway would be a right slog in parts..
Have a look at the Cairngorm Loop, a mixtures of the outer loop plus the western section of the inner loop is a brilliant ride-

http://www.cairngormsloop.net/

https://bikepacking.com/routes/cairngorms-loop/

Or the Dales Divide-

https://bikepacking.com/event/dales-divide-2020/

Maybe even the Deeside Trail-

https://deesidetrail.com/
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

double post
Last edited by In Reverse on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Mr conners wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 am Is it worth doing?
Myself and my wife were going to Israel to ride the Holy Land trail but the Covid-19 madness has stopped it. We just fancied 3 to 4 days of something mtb based or are there any other options you good people would recommend? We're East Midlands/North West based.
Cheers
I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm considering going doing the North Coast 500 so I'm keeping an eye on the weather.

The Peaks 300, or a version of it, might be a decent option for you and Mrs Connors. Most of it should be decent riding in current conditions. Not sure if this link will work:

https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTA3MDM5Ng==

Otherwise as Wotsits said the Cairngorms Loop is a great ride, although the weather might be restrictive for a while yet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've done all of the PBW and there's large parts of it that are just tedious and in some places goes where it can rather than where it should if you see what I mean. A lot of that was negotiating with land owners to get access between existing tracks and paths. The section from just short of Gisburn across the Craven Gap to Long Preston is poor TBH, crossing churned up fields and the like. Even the horse riding fraternity have ignored it in recent years.

The Peak and the Dales sections are worth doing though.

Something like the Yorkshire Dales 300 would be a steady tour over three to four days. There's one really tech section of maybe 300 metres dropping to Gunnerside Gill but you can avoid it by cutting the corner with some cheeky riding down a footpath.

As above, the outer loop of the Cairngorms Loop. Also the southern loop of the HT550, possibly a little harder than the Cairngorm Loop. Capital Trail would be an easy three days. The Wild about Argyll trail in its entirety might be a bit much but it's so convoluted that you can cut out bits you don't fancy or have time for.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Thanks for the replies and info. I was wondering why the PB hadn't really received much attention in the past and i suppose it's maybe because of these issues. I've ridden a few trails over the years that were contrived or in someway compromised and it can spoil the feel of the route. I might have a look at the Dales 300, it looks like a good route. We really fancy something more MTB based rather than road or gravel (what type of gravel though, mixed loose, 10mm limestone, golden, grano? Maybe there is a niche within a niche business opportunity for the brave)
Thanks again.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about the Trans Cambrian? I'm told the weather is likely to break (finally) this week so it'll have chance to dry out a little. I can do you a nice extension so you finish off in Aber for chips and ice cream.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

Looks a good option. I’ve had a look on the BP site for inspiration but wondered what the logistics are for getting back to the start? Train seems a bit of a faff and expensive, or can you ride back?
Ta
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks a good option. I’ve had a look on the BP site for inspiration but wondered what the logistics are for getting back to the start? Train seems a bit of a faff and expensive, or can you ride back?
Ta
You can ride back to the start on the lanes / roads without too much fuss.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

In Reverse, congratulations, when did you tie the knot?

As for the pbw, I think the majority is a good ride. With one section to definitely avoid, Gisburn to the dales. It's a soft tour of field edges. Instead just ride the nice country lanes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

If I was lucky enough to live near the Peaks I'd just enjoy 3 days there! No point slogging up to the 'Gorms lovely as they are. Loads of good Peak stuff - both Trails, stacks of bridleways inc part of PB, Macc Forest.

TransCam is obviously ace. Personally I would train it back. But as Stu says just ride back. Other option is a Mach taxi driver would do it too - mates of mine used that ploy.

Yep, TransCam.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster