I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Bearbonesnorm

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cycling to and from work is allowed, things like Deliveroo are allowed. It's leisure cycling that is banned as it's seen as an activity that is optional and could impact on emergency service capacity. There's also a large amount of peer pressure not to be a dick as Doug from Basque mtb found to his cost.
I assume you can't go for a walk either then?
May the bridges you burn light your way
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

things like Deliveroo are allowed.
Wotsits will be fine then. Able to ride where ever he wants :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sitting on the fence on this (assuming I'm allowed outdoors)... All we really need to do is not be a drain on the NHS and don't risk passing anything on. Any bans are based on minimising both of those. Bikeparks seem risky in both respects. My morning solo singletrack ride from my back door? Hardly to not at all.

I was going to say that the only two times I've needed NHS attention due to cycling in the last 20-odd years were from dog bites, but dog walking seems to be ok :grin: and no dog walkers vs bike riders can of worms intended.

I don't own a car so I'll be carrying on cycling to some extent as long as there's cars on the road, and I'm clearly safer if I take byways and tracks.
Soapy water kills the virus (actually most viruses of this type) by causing its outer membrane to split open. Not seen that hand sanitiser does the same.
It does, apparently alcohol attacks the outer layer. Needs to be strong, 60% or more. So I've locked down my Aberlour Abunadh cask strength for drinking only.
https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-hand-sanitiser/

PS I've got 4 litres of meths in the garage, that's cheap and effective anti CV cleaner. 90% + ethyl alcohol with some methanol, will clean surfaces like door handles or bike grips well.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I assume you can't go for a walk either then?
No, only dog walking is allowed, certainly no hill walking or going to the beach etc. Sadly we lost our dog Jasper aged 14 in January and the cat isn't keen :sad:
We've just seen that car use has been limited to one person at a time, it's getting bloody serious, I'm going to have to go shopping with a list!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:42 pm Here you go Stu,,
Here in Spain there is blanket ban on cycling, except for work and buying food and pharma. The fines for disobeying run to tens of thousand of euros or imprisonment, same for running, skating etc.
Cycling to and from work is allowed, things like Deliveroo are allowed. It's leisure cycling that is banned as it's seen as an activity that is optional and could impact on emergency service capacity. There's also a large amount of peer pressure not to be a dick as Doug from Basque mtb found to his cost.
I'm presuming you have some form of documentation stating where you live and work so you don't get mistakenly slapped with a fine?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Every Spanish resident is required to carry an ID card which has their address on it. If you're driving, not carrying your licence is an offence. Not sure how you prove where you work as I don't partake any more. We've got a couple of empty gas bottles in the boot to prove we're out buying it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We've just seen that car use has been limited to one person at a time
I'm kind of struggling to see the sense in that. If you're both from the same household, what difference does it make? Surely it's contact that's the issue not sitting in a car? You could both go shopping but one could stay in the car?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm
PS I've got 4 litres of meths in the garage, that's cheap and effective anti CV cleaner. 90% + ethyl alcohol with some methanol, will clean surfaces like door handles or bike grips well.
I was wondering about meths. I do have a little IPA and some disk brake cleaner too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

jameso wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm So I've locked down my Aberlour Abunadh cask strength for drinking only.
What was the line from that Mel Gibson film?
They may take our freedom but they'll NEVER take our whisky!
Or something like that :lol:

Somewhat more worryingly our glorious leeder has warned "extreme measures" may be needed to save lives.
Last edited by whitestone on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm kind of struggling to see the sense in that.
Yes this one has got me stumped too. We went shopping yesterday unaware that the supermarkets had asked for customers to shop one at a time, we got a couple of tuts when we did our trolly dash together.
Seems Mercadona and Dia have limited customers to 6 toilet rolls and 3 litres of milk each whereas it's one ladder and a tig welder in Lidl.
:smile: I'm here all week (and next)
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Going to ride in a self sufficient coffee in the woods no cafe stop style.
Exercise is good for body and mind, if you do fall off just don't take ibuprofen......
@philg1971 Instagram
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Tomorrow I move out of my flat and onto a campsite for the summer.

Committed to this before things got weird.

Hopefully this alternative living will keep me calm and happy, but panic buying has made most of my expected staples non existent.

Really empathetic for vulnerable people who must feel so trapped and isolated.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

benconnolli wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:59 pm Tomorrow I move out of my flat and onto a campsite for the summer.

Committed to this before things got weird.

Hopefully this alternative living will keep me calm and happy, but panic buying has made most of my expected staples non existent.

Really empathetic for vulnerable people who must feel so trapped and isolated.
Hopefully the supply chain will overwhelm panic buying before Coronavirus overwhelms the supply chain and you'll be able to get what you need.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As a senior ICU nurse I ain’t gonna be working from home...
I’ll be riding to work right up until the point when work is to busy to go home :shock:
I’ll also be camping out... in my garden at least until i’ve had a dose then maybe some more as one of my girls has something like cystic fibrosis.
My life is full of joy :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm battling with selfishness wanting to go for a bivvy ride on Friday to the lakes... We've not been told that we shouldn't go out yet. Naturally we can all be self sufficient as we know how to without going to a cafe, but is it a silly idea heading out of town?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 pm As a senior ICU nurse I ain’t gonna be working from home...
I’ll be riding to work right up until the point when work is to busy to go home :shock:
I’ll also be camping out... in my garden at least until i’ve had a dose then maybe some more as one of my girls has something like cystic fibrosis.
I'm a cop so likewise no prospect of working from home. I'd be interested to hear how you intend to camp out, I've been trying to formulate a plan to do something similar in my camper van but can't see an easy way around sharing toilet facilities with my wife who I don't want to infect. I have a PortaPotti in the van but limited supplies of chemicals for it and I'd still have to empty it. I could shower at work potentially and had wondered about just trying to hole up in the car park at work but I dunno how practical that would be. It's difficult for most people in one way or another eh? :shock:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:27 pm ....or just on enjoyable cycling? Will they know if I pedal to the shop rather than taking the van?
Just make sure there’s lots of HAB and crap weather then :)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I have a PortaPotti in the van
and had wondered about just trying to hole up in the car park at work
Never heard it referred to in those terms before :smile:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm
lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:06 pm As a senior ICU nurse I ain’t gonna be working from home...
I'm a cop so likewise no prospect of working from home. I'd be interested to hear how you intend to camp out, I've been trying to formulate a plan to do something similar in my camper van but can't see an easy way around sharing toilet facilities with my wife who I don't want to infect. I have a PortaPotti in the van but limited supplies of chemicals for it and I'd still have to empty it. I could shower at work potentially and had wondered about just trying to hole up in the car park at work but I dunno how practical that would be. It's difficult for most people in one way or another eh? :shock:
Thankfully we have a good chunk of garden.
I could sleep in the barn but I have rodent fear so i’ve set up a base camp next to the chickens. I have a 4x4m tarp strung up over the awning of a 4 person hiking tent. This is all sat next to my fire pit (sorry Stu :lol:)
Toilet facilities is going to be a loo which I can access from a door no one else uses. Shower at work etc.
It’s days off which are gonna be harder I reckon, but looking on the bright side the gardens gonna be looking good for once :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:35 pm
I have a PortaPotti in the van
and had wondered about just trying to hole up in the car park at work
Never heard it referred to in those terms before :smile:
:lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Thankfully we have a good chunk of garden.
I could sleep in the barn but I have rodent fear so i’ve set up a base camp next to the chickens. I have a 4x4m tarp strung up over the awning of a 4 person hiking tent. This is all sat next to my fire pit (sorry Stu :lol:)
Toilet facilities is going to be a loo which I can access from a door no one else uses. Shower at work etc.
It’s days off which are gonna be harder I reckon, but looking on the bright side the gardens gonna be looking good for once :-bd
Sounds like a good set up. :-bd Good luck dude, I imagine it's going to get pretty crazy for you at work, I think for us it'll only kick in if there's a full on lock down like we're seeing abroad.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I'm one of the elderly people (over 70) that should be staying out of circulation, but tomorrow I'll be going in to work. Given the number of people I'll be coming into contact with, an "isolation" bivvy ain't going to put me in any greater risk, so April BAM will happen - local but no caffs or pubs.

Of course, I might catch "it" before then and kark it. You could say I'll be doing the country a favour. Just think - one less baby-boomer for the millennials to keep while they have to work until they drop. Aaw, shame!
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Riding at the moment - I can off-road just about everywhere and only cross roads -There's little in the way of hills around here and nothing technical so it is highly unlikely that I will come a cropper - I rode for around thirty miles this afternoon and met one dog walker - If the advice becomes more stringent though, I will abide by it, even though the chances of the authorities finding me transgressing are just about zero.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Also riding a bit at the moment. Will stick to solo rides in the local area, so pretty mellow/hardly a soul.
My daily working life I feel is far riskier than my leisure cycling, but totally on board with not wanting to be any kind of burden to the nhs. Many aspects of my life are quite easily self contained, it's just my interactions with elderly parents I need to keep in mind.
My local bike cafe I'd imagine being a totally hot bed, but hoping to sling them some bike service jobs to help the cause.
I really wish the Gov would move away from advice/recommendations/grey areas and just state what is absolutely necessary. Perhaps this isn't so clear or just coming over the horizon (ie next week) Most of my friends run hospitality shaped business so feel for them a lot
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Also I wonder if horse riders are having these discussions!? :wink: