I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
summittoppler

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by summittoppler »

As I'm right on the edge of Snowdonia, I can't see the problem of me just hoping over the wall and enjoying the great outdoors. Yes there's a risk of injuring oneself but I have that risk when walking up the stairs pi$$ed up in the evening.
Working in an FE college atm and the feeling is when we will close not if. Been told to have online teaching resources for the students which is all very well but I can't see them taking 50 odd bricks home each so they can practice building walls :lol:
What will be will be.........
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
FLV

Post by FLV »

I cant see an issue going cycling to be honest, bivi or otherwise. Basically don't ride like a bell end and don't take silly risks whilst out there for sure, minimise the risk of ending up taking up NHS resources.

There's been no advice that I have seen around stopping cycling in the UK has there? If there's a mandate to stop I probably will but until then I genuinely don't see why cycling alone in the hills poses additional risk to myself or others. I struggle to see how going cycling is posing more threat to society than my kids still going to education facilities with thousands of others, its nonsense really. Perhaps I might think differently if I was city based, but i'm not.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

FLV wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:45 pm There's been no advice that I have seen around stopping cycling in the UK has there?
No, the advice just said to just avoid social interaction if leaving the house for exercise.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV

Post by FLV »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:50 pm
FLV wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:45 pm There's been no advice that I have seen around stopping cycling in the UK has there?
No, the advice just said to just avoid social interaction if leaving the house for exercise.
Seems for now I will carry on. I'll reconsider as the advise changes I guess. :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

This, I listened to Boris and his cronies doing their first "briefing" on the radio yesterday and there was mention of people taking exercise by means of going for a walk or run but not going to a gym or tennis club etc. Makes sense when you think about it really and I see no difference between going for a solo bike ride and a solo run/walk. Walking the dog would be more risky imho, more chance of social interaction doing that.
PS, the "experts" were making a big deal of trying to remain positive and maintain mental health while self isolating, solo exercise would form a big part of this I think.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'll be heading out for my own sanity (probably no bivvies though) until it becomes banned, which I very much hope it doesn't. Especially as life will now involve lots more child care, and doing shopping etc., as my partner has to stay at home / no social interaction now as she is pregnant - she'll be allowed to leave in 6 weeks when we go to the hospital maternity unit :shock:

EDIT - I do plenty of child care and shopping already, I mean i'll be doing more child care, and all the shopping/cautious social interactions etc.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I work outside on a daily basis so that means I
a) have no option to work from home
2) can’t see what difference it will make to me if I ride solo

Until it’s banned, I’ll keep going out to keep my sanity on the right side*

*although I’ll be upset that I started my decorating a couple of sundays back rather than saving it for isolation :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We really really want to support the local cafes and pubs. We know the owners of several and they are sh1ting it.

The gift vouchers idea won't work. Only a few will do it. There must be a way they can open and we can use them responsibly.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm We really really want to support the local cafes and pubs. We know the owners of several and they are sh1ting it.

The gift vouchers idea won't work. Only a few will do it. There must be a way they can open and we can use them responsibly.
Similar here Dave. So much of the local economy relies on the hospitality industry and most of the workers are on minimum wage and low/zero hours. Many of the cafes are reducing the number of tables and spacing them out more, ensuring regular cleaning etc. Does put me in a bit of a quandary right enough.
faustus

Post by faustus »

There's an independent cafe near me that has advertised they are starting a local delivery service of their menu, plus collection and tables outside set far apart...don't know how pubs will cope.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Best ban all car journeys and maybe stop clumsy people from walking anywhere? No DIY for those people either
It's a shame HASS and LASS aren't still going, there'd be a solid evidence base for banning DIY (and trousers for that matter)...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's an independent cafe near me that has advertised they are starting a local delivery service of their menu, plus collection and tables outside set far apart...don't know how pubs will cope.
Very happy to be corrected but am I not right in thinking that the virus can be spread if you touch something someone with it has also touched? Obviously it would likely require you to then touch your face, scratch your arse or summat. I'm thinking whatever containers food is delivered in?

Granted, something is better than nothing but it would seem that there's so much potential for the spread that anything less than absolute isolation with no outside contact probably won't be sufficient?
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Undecided but feeling sub standard and am working from home for the foreseeable... can't buy a thermometer for love nor money.... there's someone with all the loo paper and all the thermometers!!

Trying to support local businesses like our veg delivery boxes as best we can.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

faustus wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:31 pm There's an independent cafe near me that has advertised they are starting a local delivery service of their menu, plus collection and tables outside set far apart...don't know how pubs will cope.
Our local posh chippy is asking people to phone their order in advance then wait outside the shop until they're called to collect their order to minimise close contact, I thought that was a good idea to try to maintain their trade to some extent at least. It's going to be really hard for lots of small businesses, it's so sad. I really hope BoJo does something to help them but I have very little faith in him. At least Macron is making some of the right noises in this respect.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:48 pm
Very happy to be corrected but am I not right in thinking that the virus can be spread if you touch something someone with it has also touched? Obviously it would likely require you to then touch your face, scratch your arse or summat. I'm thinking whatever containers food is delivered in?

Granted, something is better than nothing but it would seem that there's so much potential for the spread that anything less than absolute isolation with no outside contact probably won't be sufficient?
For sure, i just think it is something they are trying for now before everything is forced to shut. As above, they will take advance orders and leave it for collection, and they are being fastidious with hygiene apparently. But yeah, if it's an a surface someone else has touched i guess it can be caught, and the same applies to food deliveries and shopping generally?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Yes, the virus is infective for up to 72hrs if left on a hard surface. I've not heard any figures for soft surfaces or clothing. Soapy water kills the virus (actually most viruses of this type) by causing its outer membrane to split open. Not seen that hand sanitiser does the same.

Just been listening to the BBC's resident virologist on R4. A rough rule of thumb is that for every death there are 1000 infected people. That figure comes from knowing how testing of an "at risk", i.e. likely to have been exposed to whatever, subset of the population relates to the population as a whole. Also the risk of death varies according to age group and a host of other factors so a child actually has very, very little chance of dying but could well be a carrier as the Covid-19 virus would just be part of the winter sniffles as far as most parents were concerned. At the other end of the spectrum are the elderly and particularly those with existing respiratory problems - pneumonia, asthma, etc. or who've had recent major surgery and so have a depressed immune system.

Just been into town and either people are thinking about home cooking or The Hairy Bikers are visiting and asking everyone to bake a cake as there's no flour to be seen in the supermarkets.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm gonna keep riding until they force me to stop.. safer than train to work. I have to get to work so they can try to stop me if they wish...

Gonna be cancelling my audax/LeJOG thats in Juky though. There's reports our storm gonna be at leastb3 months and its not even started yet!!

Allah make it easy for us all
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:37 pm I'm gonna keep riding until they force me to stop.. safer than train to work. I have to get to work so they can try to stop me if they wish...

Gonna be cancelling my audax/LeJOG thats in Juky though. There's reports our storm gonna be at leastb3 months and its not even started yet!!

Allah make it easy for us all
It's a strange situation for sure. I've been on leave for the last twelve days and a colleague just messaged asking if I want a lift to work in the morning for my first shift back. We usually car pool whenever we can but I'm going to suggest we each take our own car to work for the foreseeable future (I'll probably cycle to work when I can as well though). We're "emergency services" so have no prospect of working from home. Hopefully they'll have testing kits available for us (and others like yourself Shaf) soon so that we don't involuntarily infect our families. My wife has Crohns Disease so I'm really worried about passing the virus on to her.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Day 2 of house arrest Spanish style, MrsPB who teaches English at a local academia has spent most of the day watsapping work to her students, they're an eager bunch and she gets the work back for marking almost immediately. I've been making contingency plans for the sunny weather that's forecasted from tomorrow, I've fixed up a hammock on one of our bigger olive trees. :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:09 pm Day 2 of house arrest Spanish style, I've been making contingency plans for the sunny weather that's forecasted from tomorrow, I've fixed up a hammock on one of our bigger olive trees. :-bd
Sounds hellish PB! :-bd :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:01 pm
This, I listened to Boris and his cronies doing their first "briefing" on the radio yesterday and there was mention of people taking exercise by means of going for a walk or run but not going to a gym or tennis club etc. Makes sense when you think about it really and I see no difference between going for a solo bike ride and a solo run/walk. Walking the dog would be more risky imho, more chance of social interaction doing that.
PS, the "experts" were making a big deal of trying to remain positive and maintain mental health while self isolating, solo exercise would form a big part of this I think.
You can probably lose those quotation marks when talking about the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Adviser tbf :lol:

Decent chance that cycling will be stopped as per Spain etc as the rate of infections/death progresses. Might only have a week so make the most of it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Decent chance that cycling will be stopped as per Spain etc as the rate of infections/death progresses.
I don't know what the cycling situation is in Spain but what if you're a doctor who cycles to work? What about those coppers who use bikes in city centres? Is it a blanket ban on all cycling or just on enjoyable cycling? Will they know if I pedal to the shop rather than taking the van?
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:27 pm
Decent chance that cycling will be stopped as per Spain etc as the rate of infections/death progresses.
I don't know what the cycling situation is in Spain but what if you're a doctor who cycles to work? What about those coppers who use bikes in city centres? Is it a blanket ban on all cycling or just on enjoyable cycling? Will they know if I pedal to the shop rather than taking the van?
Sorry Stu - should have specified leisure cycling. I was there until Monday and there were a few people out on bikes but not many at all.

Based on my 3 days of being locked down I can see how it could get very dull very quickly...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Here you go Stu,,
Here in Spain there is blanket ban on cycling, except for work and buying food and pharma. The fines for disobeying run to tens of thousand of euros or imprisonment, same for running, skating etc.
Cycling to and from work is allowed, things like Deliveroo are allowed. It's leisure cycling that is banned as it's seen as an activity that is optional and could impact on emergency service capacity. There's also a large amount of peer pressure not to be a dick as Doug from Basque mtb found to his cost.