What you done t' your bike today

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: What you done t' your bike today

Post by Boab »

gairym wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm Maaan I hate having to resort to the misery of the turbo-trainer :sad:
On the positive side, it's unlikely that you'll get a puncture... 🤣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

'Finished' the Escapade re-build. I say finished in a very loose sense as I think the rear HY-RD caliper is leaking (they were free) and the tyres are really pushing it size wise for the mudguards but I'm sure it will be fine! :roll:

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

New back tyre on Cath's Cotic Soul - never done a Maxxis tyre before but since Bontrager seem to be stopping their 26" tyres there's not that many options. Anyway went up first time so easy peasy.

The front brake on my Solaris was rubbing slightly so sorted that out.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

K1100T wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm
gairym wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm Maaan I hate having to resort to the misery of the turbo-trainer :sad:
On the positive side, it's unlikely that you'll get a puncture... 🤣
You say that but it's a very old turbo that uses friction against the rim to create the resistance.

Not only do my current wheels obviously not have sufficient (braking) surface area but the machine is for 26" wheels and so with my 29er bike loaded it's ever-so-slightly touching the tyre and so is being monitored for any signs of wear :shock:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Not today, but on the weekend I put my OO Fatty back to rights with the 26x3s'that have languished in the shed for too long. Then me and the lady went and rode in a lot of mud and had a great time. I do love that bike.
I'm just going outside ...
faustus

Post by faustus »

Finally found and fitted correct novatec front hub adapters for the wheels on the new Camino Al, which is taking an age to finish.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Both the Maxles on my Broken Road were made of cheese, replaced the front one a few months ago but the rear rounded off today. Cue hammering a torx bit in and gingerly nursing it out. Thankfully it worked without too much drama.
Ian

Post by Ian »

New brakes onto the Bahookie, plus new Syntace stem with the twinfix mounts to take the drj0n strap deck. Looks interesting little piece of kit which should see some fun soon while I ”self-isolate” for a few days in the hills.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Washed it (Earnie the commuter) after I think about 5 or 600 miles... Had ingrained muck and was looking nasty and making all sorts of noises.

Not impressed with the spray on Shimano (ebike compatible) lube though. Tried spraying it into the chain whilst winding it but so much came out and sprayed everything!! Not sure how it'll fare but does say on the bottle that it restores chain to its original factory finish :???: (not in them words)...

This is the stuff:

https://www.cingolanibikeshop.com/shima ... 200ml.html

At least the chain got a good deep clean (white spririt then standard (car valet) degreaser and then a wipe with some water and a quick squirt with some water displacer (TF2 weldtite) before letting it all dry properly :smile:

[Edit] Oh and renewed the 3m tape under the wProof toptube bag and reatttached it. Did try to hot-glue the expired stuff to the bag but it wouldn't adhere to the actual bag material (but did to the back of thw worn 3m mushroom tape)...

faustus

Post by faustus »

That is criminal drivetrain neglect! :lol: Seriously though, it'll last half the time like that
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ian wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 pm New brakes onto the Bahookie, plus new Syntace stem with the twinfix mounts to take the drj0n strap deck. Looks interesting little piece of kit which should see some fun soon while I ”self-isolate” for a few days in the hills.
Ohh, new brakes.. I've been procrastinating for ages on new brakes. What did you go for?
Ian

Post by Ian »

After many years on Shimano, I’ve gone back to Hope X2
redefined_cycles

faustus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:19 pm That is criminal drivetrain neglect! :lol: Seriously though, it'll last half the time like that
Yes. Indeed you're right. Got the DuraAce 9000 cranks from a mate who loves buying and investigating with components (got at a steal for bargain bottom price). So need to ensure the chain stays healthy enough to not knacker everything else..

If I told you i swap my chain over before its even at the 0.75 marker would it redeem my 'I look after my kit' status :smile:

Seriously though, I'm gonna blame the lube I've been trialling (just cos it said Pedros and was semi oily...
Ian

Post by Ian »

Prepped* two bikes ready for sale. Coming to a classifieds forum near you soon. One fat one, one bouncy one.

* correct use of the term, yes?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Brushed approximately a ton of dried mud and sheep sub standard off it, which has given me an idea, to be continued on another thread...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Applied Tessa tape to my front rim and set it up ready for some sealant:

Added sealant and then found out that I had a cut in the tyre that I'd not noticed. 🤬 tubeless poor show, can 🤬 off. 🖕

Off came the tyre, I scooped out as much sealant as I could, then patched the tyre before setting it all up again. It appears to be holding, so I'm going to go all positive and say it will hold this evening and all tomorrow without issue... 🙏

Once that faff was over, I put my old tri-bars on in an effort to lift the front harness off the tyre. I didn't put the arm rests on, as these are really meant to go on cow horns and are thus really low stack, so I wouldn't be able fingers under them to hold the tops. I also managed to squeeze the feed bag on as well, which is just as well, as there's no way I'd have been able to carry all the food I'm taking otherwise.

I need to sort it all out before my next bivvy, ideas on a postcard please.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Not quite today, but its the first break in the weather..

Image Image
Mart

Post by Mart »

New drivechain (Cassette, Chain and Rings) and some new pads both ends. My bike loves me again :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Replaced the brake pads on someone's bike :roll: The fixing pins were showing through the pad material :o
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

The old dropper remote on the Jones was a bit crap to start with (but did fit snuggly between the brake and front mech controls). However the cable was retained by a tiny grub screw that quickly rounded out after one adjustment.
I’d been meaning to trim the grips a little too to get my hands a bit nearer the end of the bars while one finger braking. A good chance to get that done too.
ImageNew dropper remote on the Jones by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
New One Up Components remote came in the post this week and after a week of isolation I popped into the office to grab it while no-one was in.
ImageNew dropper remote by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Not enough room under the left hand grip as the Jones runs 2x so it had to go above the right hand grip. On a dry run (not in anger) I like the position... like an old ‘thumb’ shifter. Will need to keep the crap out of the main bearing as it now faces up.
Much nicer action and more positive than the old one :-). Just need to wrap the bars now.
ImageNew dropper remote by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
redefined_cycles

99percentchimp wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm
New One Up Components remote came in
Got a link... :smile:
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 pm
'Ere you go.... Ships from the UK from this link Shaf.. was well recommended and one of the cheaper ones I could find.
https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/collecti ... ost-remote
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

99percentchimp wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:05 pm
'Ere you go.... Ships from the UK from this link Shaf.. was well recommended and one of the cheaper ones I could find.
https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/collecti ... ost-remote
Might have to get one of those = less chance of cracking my kneecap than on the standard one!
Finally finished building and truing the light bicycle rims. Have to say it was one of the easiest wheel builds I've done for ages. I used the spoke tension-meter and my usual methodical lace up process and when I reached the correct tensions all round, the rim was within 1mm of true, side to side and top to bottom. Swapped disks and cog over, threw on the chupas as its now Spring; and went out for a ride in the woods. The bike almost rides itself up the hill!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Finally got out on the newly built Camino Al. Really like the ride, and happy with 1x drive train. Have 650b wheels for it when the time is right. Almost direct swap of everything from the arkose, and the flat mount adaptors are fugly and hose not routed through fork yet. Still, got clutch road mech on the cheap, grx400 rear mech works perfectly with rs685 levers and 40t cog :-bd. Crap picture:
ImageCamino test by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'll tell you what I did to my bike today.....

.....I blimmin' well rode it!

Admittedly it was around the garden participating with my 6 and 8 year olds on an MTB skills course I've made for them.

Highlights include: the balance beam (1m long, 10cm wide, 10cm off the ground), the seesaw, the tree stump challenge (roll over it successfully), the steep drop of Doom (a gentle little 30cm rocky slope) and other death defying obstacles.

I've created a slightly different course each afternoon with the hope of upping their skills in preparation for real riding again sometime next year :-bd