Ride to the mountains 1992

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Ride to the mountains 1992

Post by Escape Goat »

This kicked off mountain biking for me. I completely forgot about it until it came up somewhere today.

Got in the bath, ignored the phone and actually watched it.

I suggest you do the same.

https://youtu.be/uyrlEE9AV58

... Enjoy
BigdummySteve

Re: Ride to the mountains 1992

Post by BigdummySteve »

Superb! 1992, ultra narrow bars, vee brakes, toe clips!, neon pink! Happy days. Helmets though? Can’t remember anyone wearing one back then.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

All cutting edge stuff, to a then 10 year old. I had to buy my v brakes one set at a time!
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

And a bum bag!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Marvellous. You watched it in the bath 'Goat? Nice one!

As we know it was just as much fun without suspension, oversized wheels, hydro brakes etc. I'd stick my neck out and say it was more fun in many ways :smile: . Gosh look they can even do jumps! :wink:

Reg 'Old Fart' Perrin.... Snailbeach 1987:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Great pictures there! Yep. Bathtime bike movie :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I was summittoppling back in 1988. Snowdon (Rhyd Ddu track)on a bike that was too big for me, no helmet and jeans!

Imageretro 1 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Imageretro 2 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Imageretro 5 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yay - Summit Toppling Top Trumps! Reg, Helvellyn, Oct 1986. Probably been bikes up there earlier than that (penny farthing?!) but if no pictures it didn't happen :wink: . Massive fun swerving back down over the scree with melting brake blocks. Trying to minimise my impact more these days of course :wink: . As you say, obviously no helmet, jeans, cheapo plastic backpack, mega-bulky Berghaus jacket! In them there days bikes up a mountain got some baffled/stunned/amazed looks from the hikers.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember that many moons ago MBUK gave away a video (yes video as in cassette, so quite some time ago) and if my memory serves, it was called 'Real Sick' and featured short films that seemed to be ramdomly selected. One film involved a group heading off into the backcountry of the US for a few days camping / riding. There was nothing exotic happening they were simply enjoying themselves but it struck a real chord at the time and perhaps would if I saw it again now?

EDIT: It does :-bd Starts around 22:28 but the other stuff's worth a look at if only for the memories ... full face bikepacking anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaidiSf ... xDOKF-z1uo
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one!
Now to engage nerd mode, they are both using thumbies and pre-biopace cranks so the bikes are 88 or 89. And they are using Maguras (there is no way you'd get a rolling stoppie out of a pair of cantis unless the brake pads were made of chewing gum) The tioga T bone is the one with the internal cable routeing (defo 88) whereas mine is a straight through cable stop :-bd

One of the comments notes that lycra shorts and a normal t shirt is a bold move but this was the look back then. And the Bell helmet (or a Nolan one which earned me the nickname 'Radiator Head')

I also note that despite some interesting riding through the town, they don't get arrested and thrown in jail like anyone posting a vid of such antics would do nowadays....

also Helvelyn, Summer '89
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:40 pm And they are using Maguras (there is no way you'd get a rolling stoppie out of a pair of cantis unless the brake pads were made of chewing gum)
I beg to differ, my meticulously setup XTR cantilevers would easily lift the rear wheel at almost any speed, heavy cables, bridge height set up just so and clean correctly toed in pads were a match for disks, until wet!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:12 pm I remember that many moons ago MBUK gave away a video (
I got dirt that way, still have it!
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Oh wow!
I had a muddy fox explorer,suntour mechs,indexing! Canti front,....roller cam on rear chainstays, paneracer ibex tyres,loved that bike.
It got me into bivvying! Bought a army surplus bivvy off market.
(Still use that bivvy today on Moto!)
Unfortunately some scrote lifted it by smashing my kryptonite d-lock while I took my shopping up to flat grrrr! 🤬 Good times though! :-bd
Insanity over vanity
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Watching this made me decide to not bother with changing our the forks on the rigid 29+ :-bd

That bike makes me chuckle every time I ride it. Takes me back to when I was 10.