Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Todays ride

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:00 pm Just for Phil...

ImageP1060407 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
When I see photos like that, I realise just how much I miss living in Scotland.

In shock news, not, I had yet another puncture on this morning's ride. When I got home, the rim was washed, striped of tubeless tape and cleaned with isopropyl, so this evening I will be wrapping it in new Tessa tape and filling the tyre with Orange Seal. Finger crossed it'll last the 200 km multi-surface route I'm planning for this months bivvy. 🙄

It's starting to dry out in places though...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GGTF

Although I can't complain as today I rode into work via the train station and then rode home over the hills. I wore my shades for both legs of the journey and it didn't rain. It felt very strange.....
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Colin (Scotroutes) ...if them pics aren't inspirational I don't know
What is :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

K1100T wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm

When I see photos like that, I realise just how much I miss living in Scotland.

In shock news, not, I had yet another puncture on this morning's ride. When I got home, the rim was washed, striped of tubeless tape and cleaned with isopropyl, so this evening I will be wrapping it in new Tessa tape and filling the tyre with Orange Seal. Finger crossed it'll last the 200 km multi-surface route I'm planning for this months bivvy. 🙄

It's starting to dry out in places though...

Seems theres something going wrong with your tubeless setup. Especially since so many punctures (did you have punctures recemtly aswell right?)... sue there's not a piece of stray metal stuck/protruding from somewhere....
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:35 am Seems theres something going wrong with your tubeless setup. Especially since so many punctures (did you have punctures recemtly aswell right?)... sue there's not a piece of stray metal stuck/protruding from somewhere....
Been running tubes for the last wee while, even got Tannus Armour in the rear tyre. The front goes back up tubeless tomorrow, fingers crossed...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey that was a tough one. Headed for my local hills on the fatty in the anticipation of much snow above 500m. There was..... As well as lots of wet fresh stuff there were still some vast fields of the older stuff which has freeze thawed to a thick hard layer with some amazing windblown drifted shapes. Annoyingly my phone croaked so no pics.

On the last strip of snow that had filled in a burn line my front wheel disappeared into said burn and I had a full on over the bars into mid air experience. The slope was around 25 degrees so it felt like I was a long way up and had a split second to contemplate my fate as I described a graceful somersault. Managed to tuck and roll so landed on my back on soft snow.....

Only 32 miles but took me 5 hours......
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:07 pm Annoyingly my phone croaked so no pics.
Yeah. Sure. :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got the train up to Dent (well Dent station*) and rode back home via a mixture of the Pennine Bridleway and the Dales Divide routes before striking for home.

Had a headwind pretty well all the way :| and anything that wasn't road, fresh gravel or rock was really hard work. I took longer on the descent from Weets Top than I normally do to climb it! There's a gate about halfway down and usually I can freewheel to within 50 metres of it, today I was pedalling almost all the way just to maintain forward motion.

76km, 1650m climbing.

*Old joke. Tourist: "Why did they build Dent station so far away from the village?" Local: "Happen they wanted it near the railway line"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:11 pm
htrider wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:07 pm Annoyingly my phone croaked so no pics.
Yeah. Sure. :roll:
OK I didn't want to make you jealous of horizontal rain, 50 yd viz and unrivalled views of Grangemouth :mrgreen:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

htrider wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 pm

GGTF

Although I can't complain as today I rode into work via the train station and then rode home over the hills. I wore my shades for both legs of the journey and it didn't rain. It felt very strange.....
nice picture!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Had a pootle in one of the quieter valleys in Snowdonia yesterday, Cwm Pen-Llafar which is just above Bethesda. Managed to get the drone out too.
Image20200315_135839 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my film from yesterday's pedal out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXczCpiBj6w

Instagram:

YouTube:
smartay

Post by smartay »

Takes me back a bit, camped at the head of that valley about 20+ years ago on a course at Plas Y Brennin. walked up to see the sunset from the top of the Carnedd, cant remember if its was Llewellyn or Dafydd, before dropping down for the night
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

smartay wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:48 pm Takes me back a bit, camped at the head of that valley about 20+ years ago on a course at Plas Y Brennin. walked up to see the sunset from the top of the Carnedd, cant remember if its was Llewellyn or Dafydd, before dropping down for the night
Nice quiet place to pitch :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Only ever climbed on that crag behind you, in top left of the shot, the once. Not a popular crag but Ysgolion Duon, the Black Ladders, at the head of the cwm gets a lot of winter climbing action.

There's another crash site next to the stream coming down from the col to the left of The Ladders. There's a small memorial plaque I seem to remember.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

whitestone wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:12 pm There's another crash site next to the stream coming down from the col to the left of The Ladders. There's a small memorial plaque I seem to remember.
Yeah I was telling my dad where I went and he told me about the wreckage up there. He knows Snowdonia better than most folk which has been helpful in my early years of MTBing :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

A gentle Brompton totter across town to do a balance bike session for the littlies in Yr1. The Brom is great as an icebreaker - hide it folded behind a bag. "There's your bikes but I need one too. Can anyone see one?".... Cue "it's BEHIND yoooouuuuuuu!!!"... "That's too small to be a bike, anyway it's only got one wheel and no handlebars" etc etc. "How long to turn into a bike?"... "10 minutes... an hour" etc etc. "Count then.. ".... "1..2...3...". 9 seconds! Result: one very attentive group of kids. I love every minute of it :smile: . Pic taken before school opened:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 am A gentle Brompton totter across town to do a balance bike session for the littlies in Yr1. The Brom is great as an icebreaker - hide it folded behind a bag. "There's your bikes but I need one too. Can anyone see one?".... Cue "it's BEHIND yoooouuuuuuu!!!"... "That's too small to be a bike, anyway it's only got one wheel and no handlebars" etc etc. "How long to turn into a bike?"... "10 minutes... an hour" etc etc. "Count then.. ".... "1..2...3...". 9 seconds! Result: one very attentive group of kids. I love every minute of it :smile: . Pic taken before school opened:

Well done Reg.. I knew you was a superhero. Wish my kids could've learnt from you (they just had me.. but I didnt realise the valance bike way after getting past the 3rd child!)
RIP

Post by RIP »

I reckon you'd've been pretty good at it Shaf :wink:

Endlessly fascinating at that age.
Like little wind-up clockwork models :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Thanks Reg... bit painful on the back... until the balance bike came along. Ain't they lovely :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

A gentle potter around some of the local bridleways and byways this morning. Mainly just checking up on how rideable some of them are, as they all have bad sections. I'm not MVP, so I didn't have the skillz (or tyres) to ride down that, for example...

slarge

Post by slarge »

Jeff, my BiL is a Snowdonia ranger - lived in Bethesda and now in Llanfairfechan - he seems to know all the local farmers and back corners, and he's a bit suspicious of me asking about all the hidden gems in the area. I'll keep pumping him for info and when I'm up in his corner of the world (top end of Llanfairfechan) I'll have to give you a shout.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

slarge wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 pm Jeff, my BiL is a Snowdonia ranger - lived in Bethesda and now in Llanfairfechan - he seems to know all the local farmers and back corners, and he's a bit suspicious of me asking about all the hidden gems in the area. I'll keep pumping him for info and when I'm up in his corner of the world (top end of Llanfairfechan) I'll have to give you a shout.
Yeah sure, give me a shout anytime.
I've ridden most of Snowdonia so I'm in the know of the gems :wink:

Instagram:

YouTube:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Went into a different area on this morning's ride, I don't normally head out there unless it's part of the commute to and from work. Made for a pleasant change, although it'll be pleasanter on some of those sectors after next weeks settled weather.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Another responsible, local and theraputic bimble in splendid isolation.

After all: it's not foot and mouth :|.
May you always have tail wind.