Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed that :smile: . I'll bet he has loads of cracking stories.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 pm 80/-
Winner.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 pm I'm not suggesting this CV situation has any silver linings
Potentially end of Trump?
RIP

Post by RIP »

The more illogical/incompetent/insular/narcissistic/kneejerk/inconsistent etc that a demagogue becomes, frequently the more their supporters approve of them and think they're doing a great job. The psychology of this has intrigued me for a long time.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Slightly early but there's a Tawny Owl hooting in the tree behind the house. Can't hear it's mate reply though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another ornithological one.

The curlews are back :-bd Actually I heard and then saw the first few on Wednesday. We've loads round here, quite a surprise to me as there was only one breeding pair on the farm so I never considered them common.

Also a few Lapwings around, seen them sitting on potential nest sites.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I got a letter yesterday to say my student loans are fully paid off.
:-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Saw some deer on my morning ride, two different types I think. I'm not big up on deer varieties, other than Muntjac, so not sure what types...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Found some linguine in Waitrose - second to last pack - £1.50.

Sold it outside to a pasta tout £3.

Just kidding but did hide it on the way back to the car. There were some dodgy looking vermicelli addicts sat in the corner - easily identifiable by their skin condition - covered in ziti. That said I was more worried about the trofie hunters roaming the car park.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

I read that as "lingerie" at first glance. Is there any shortage of that? Maybe people are having to 'make their own entertainment' now.

Not sure if it was on Here, but saw an amusing photo of the cliche filthy white van with finger writing on the back of it. But it said "no toilet rolls kept in this vehicle overnight".....

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mortgage paid off last month. :-bd

Work today announce a 4 day working week :roll:

Mortgage payment = 1 day a week :roll:

Yay, job's safe with 3 days off a week for the upcoming weeks, more riding (as long as we are allowed out)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 pm So he parks up by Duddon Bridge which is the start of the Corney Fell road which is a well known short cut to get to the Cumbrian west coast, i.e. Sellafield. Some time later a Lamborghini rolls past "at pace". "Hmm" so he sets off. A while later he switches on the blue lights and pulls the car over.
I know Corney Fell well having worked and lived up there and now having a place around Wasdale.

Lambo' would be entirely the wrong tool, I can only imagine how much bodywork and fairings it'd loose to rocks, steep dips and blind corners. Now a rally car, with some decent ground clearance and a view .........

Still, s sheep in the road will make a mess of whatever hits it - bloody sheep sleeping on the warm tarmac!
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

And another ornithological one, and also applies to what makes you happy. First Yellowhammers spotted and heard. I know they’re supposed to be resident, but never see or hear them around here until spring, always brings a nice feeling when they show up.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Popped out to plant some trees this morning by the river - kingfisher. Very surprised.

Some interesting weather coming up here: 4 days of bright sunshine but -1c nights it says. I feel a local bivi coming on - about time I got to choose the weather for one of my bivis.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Possibly a trifle early to rejoice just yet methinks. Mention of financial outgoings might be judged a tad insensitive in some quarters at this juncture. This thing has a little longer to run than we may think. Many personal situations will suddenly turn on a sixpence (2.5p to you youngsters). Oh bugger, wrong impression for this thread, sorry to be a killjoy :smile: . Back to good cheer... :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Trying to find something to be cheery about, divorce, possible homelessness and work phoned in the way home. Being in the film/Tv/ Theatre biz our revenue streams stopped instantly a week ago. Looks like we’re going to be made redundant on Monday. But have some nice wine and strangely cheery about a possible Birthday WRT.

Lots of us are going to be in the sub standard for a while, my sincere hope is that we remember this and learn to be a more caring and less greedy society in the future, I’m optimistic about our future, this could be just the clip around the ear we need, like a naughty child (at least when I grew up) it might just put us back on the straight and narrow. That at least is a cheery thought, that out of this we might just about see what we nearly threw away.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:59 pm Popped out to plant some trees this morning by the river - kingfisher. Very surprised.

The fact that some bonkers bloke who owns a big diesel is sneaking about planting black ash ( hopefully in a balaclava) definitely makes me cheery :-bd

RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes I'm the first to admit there's a certain irony there. Decisions made years ago might not be made the same way today. What complex beings we are.

Anyway, it's Friday. Get that bottle down you man.

"Lucky" you're in the departure lounge on Monday not yesterday - aren't you / your company eligible for Rishi's Bung now?

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:54 pm Yes I'm the first to admit there's a certain irony there. Decisions made years ago might not be made the same way today. What complex beings we are.

Anyway, it's Friday. Get that bottle down you man.

"Lucky" you're in the departure lounge on Monday not yesterday - aren't you eligible for Rishi's Bung now?

Not sure Chris, the phone call came before the PM so I have no idea. I’m so glad I went to Wales last weekend, the simple pleasures and beauty give perspectives which in normal time’s, although appreciated are diluted by the apparent endless opportunity to repeat them, much like being young.
As Mr Wilde famously said ‘youth is wasted on the young’ I’ve a feeling we might not be wasting it quite so much in the years to come.
The previous generation had WW2, I’d urge anyone to watch the last episode of ‘world at war’ whatever happens we will most likely be in a far better place the our grandparents were.
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well, good luck next week. I've gone a bit down now; already I have missed, and will miss the prospect of for a while, riding with other mad-as-lorries boners. It's difficult to put the feeling into words. This Place is bloody unique. Actually there's plenty of other eccentric UK entities, but consider us as the Village Eccentric in a village of eccentrics. Right, get a grip Reg, big softie interval over.

Chew

Post by Chew »

the phone call came before the PM so I have no idea.
with the government’s announcements give him a ring. They should be able to keep you on the payroll at 80% of your wages
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It`s not Friday but certainly cheery!!
Went for one of those "cant be arsed but gotta ride somewhere rides" today, well I ended up passing the town`s Skate /BMX ramps park, still quite a few young uns knocking about so I took on a couple of the (easiest) BMX ramps on the Jones Plus, 29er with 3" tyres!
I had to watch for pedal strikes as the ramps were a bit pointy and the bike has a long wheelbase, but sailed over them like I do it everyday!
The kids cheered to see Someone old enough to be their Grandad ride the park, I felt like Evel Kneivel !! :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

And I planted the first of this year's veg crop - early main crop potatoes. I'd bought the seed ages ago before this palaver started and let's just say they are keen to get going.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
When I got a bag of spuds the other day, it crossed my mind to let them go to seed and plant them!
Been a weird week overall, now having a beer (I hope it doesn't run out but a break will be good for me if it does :???: )
Cheers all, keep on keeping on
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty well all spuds are seed.

"Seed potatoes" are just a size suitable for planting via machinery, a bit bigger than a golf ball. On the farm we'd sort the potatoes: big ones went for sale; the really small ones "pig taties" were for animal feed; the rest was seed. We'd probably get about 60-70% of the following year's seed from this year's crop with the remainder bought in as "fresh stock".