SS chains

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

SS chains

Post by fatbikephil »

When I SS'd the Jones I splashed out on a bling looking kmc chain. However it's stretching like cheap knicker elastic so has anyone got a better recommendation?
voodoo_simon

Re: SS chains

Post by voodoo_simon »

Always used SRAM 9 speed chains, the cheap ones. Never had an issue with them on the singlespeeds
Javi

Post by Javi »

I might have to try one of those, or something different to the same KMC. Or maybe lubing more often.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Connex wipperman have always lasted years for me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

wriggles wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 pm Connex wipperman have always lasted years for me.
Yousers nay wonder at that price! :o Thanks all, will check out the cheapo option given my natural tight fistedness. I was going to also post a 'what ratio' question, but I'll refrain.....
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sorry not checked the price as bought my stash years ago! Are they expensive?

Edit £12 for an 808 isnt too bad for a chain thats lasts 'kin ages!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use kmc z610. I also keep the chainring, chain and cog together as sets. So when I change ratio I change all 3 bits.

This way as the chain wears so do the chainring and cog and it doesn't matter how much wear there is as it's all worn together and still works. A set can be used until the teeth are so thin on the cog they snap off, literally :lol: perhaps stop using it just before the teeth snap off.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve used the KMC Rohloff/singlespeed chains for the last few years and they last very well on Rohloff equipped bikes. I’m not fastidious at cleaning or lubing either.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
psling

Post by psling »

Running 3/32" on SS I've always used KMC X9 over the years without problem; never broken one yet!
(Also use them on my regular 9-speed bike as well, like to keep things simple :wink: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I've used the gusset 8 speed chains quite a bit, seem to wear well,
Obviously only run 9 speed but ss should be fine
Ian

Post by Ian »

SRAM used to make the PC7X chain which was brilliant. When they stopped making them several years ago, they quickly became like hens teeth. I managed to find 5 on Amazon at a reasonable price, so bought them. I’m on my last one now...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

another where i dont agree with percieved wisdom
I used my old chains on my SS and the current version took a new front and rear [ 32 /17] without any issue- TBh I tend to only do something if there is a problem as i remain convinced the "pre emptive preventive action" is just a way to buy things you dont need - especially on a SS which ,IMHO, is meant to be cheap and simple
YMMV - it almost certainly will but i dont drop chains on my SS and never had any issued with the drive train
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's been a good few years since I ran singlespeed, but I found using 1/8" track chain worked best (with matching 1/8" front ring and sprocket...which I could make wolftooth fit a shimano freehub with a bit of light fettling...then the shimano freehubs were the weakpoint...)

Anyway, longevity was great!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

wriggles wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:17 pm Sorry not checked the price as bought my stash years ago! Are they expensive?

Edit £12 for an 808 isnt too bad for a chain thats lasts 'kin ages!!
Hmm I saw one for £45, probably didn't look hard enough.

A guy at the SS champs was sporting a rather fine Shimano track chain which had nice shaped outer plates. Alos no longer available apparently.
I will keep on with the KMC for now as it may settle down but probs go sram 8 speed for much cheapness thereafter
jobro

Post by jobro »

I use the KMC B1 chain on my single speeds. I thought this was the ss chain? Although there is an initial stretch, it soon settles down. My legs might be weedy though :lol:
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve used most brands over the years including SS specific, half link chains, BMX and regular 8 and 9 speed. I haven’t noticed any real benefit with the fancy chains and just go with SRam 8 speed and let the sprocket, chainring and chain grow old together 🙂. Change all of them when they are worn (not very often).
High spec chains are usually designed to be efficient when not straight ie with a standard geared set up. Single speed chains have a simpler (if not easier) life
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just to follow up on this, I ended up with a Connex 808 (£25 not £45). It barely stretched settling in and hasn't moved since....
As it happens the KMX 1/8" chain on the straggler has also stretched a fair bit, I just hadn't noticed as I've been messing around with wheels and tyres so much. Its also developed a horrible tight spot. The one on the Krampus however has been fine :???: