Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Dales Divide 2020 .. who's going?

Post by Bearlegged »

I suspected as much, and fail to see the problem. It's a personal challenge, it's trails and roads open to anyone, you're unlikely to "game" anyone who's looking to set a fast time, your presence out there might be a sociable benefit for others riding...?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ton wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:46 pm been looking at this, and i really fancy a go.
i know most of the route, and have probably ridden most of it over the years.
but if i am honest with myself, i think if i stuck to the route i wouldnt manage it.
but if i were to mix and match with bits of road here and there i could possibly manage it.

would it be proper offside to ride it this way?
Nope. Not according to Mr Ellison. He's even encouraged using public transport if needed. I'm looking forward to it as being probably the best ride of thr year...

Bank holiday but shops open.
Gravelly but not smooth enough to be easy and an mtb would fit in well.
Trains used if needed.
Lots of other likeminded riders.
Never steep enough that you'll fall off the edge of the bankment and cities and towns never too far away.
No proper bears... not even pandas and a host who's lovely and polite...

Whats stopping ya Ton...
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'll be attending as it stands at the moment.

Ton, sounds like you could happily have a go without anyone being upset with your ride. :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

@Ton - If you're worried about upsetting Chris, then you can't have met him. Just get thissel t'start and 'ave a do. He'll thank you for it.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

This event is truly bringing bikepackers together as a community. The tone and mindset is very inclusive. It's also my first time at the Dales, a region very high on my bucket list.

It's worth noting that completing 600kms in four days is going to be a challenge! My plan is to stay on pace and at the shortcut point I'll see how I feel and whether I want to test myself. I may decide I just want to enjoy a few days of great riding, with longer stops and more beer and time for new friendships.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

On the list of to do's, not this year, but quite possibly next year :wink:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Did this event last year on a gravel bike
Not making that mistake again, with be on a mountain bike.
It’s first proper outing; so new haven’t even collected it from the shop. Though is a thing of beauty
Last edited by Asposium on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

KamelTrek wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:01 am My plan is to stay on pace and at the shortcut point I'll see how I feel and whether I want to test myself.
When I did it last year I found the first day the hardest. The shortcut also misses out the North York Moors which was my favourite bit. So I'd suggest you keep this in mind when deciding to cut across or not at the shortcut.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

???

Just been checking my diary for this again. Turns out I need to be back by the Monday 13th by the latest (with the ride starting 10th...

Anyone have any ideas on how fast was the slowest rider last year as it might help me decide if I have enough time to get it all in (especially now that Seans mentioned the shortcut misses out the NYMs)...
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm ???

Just been checking my diary for this again. Turns out I need to be back by the Monday 13th by the latest (with the ride starting 10th...

Anyone have any ideas on how fast was the slowest rider last year as it might help me decide if I have enough time to get it all in (especially now that Seans mentioned the shortcut misses out the NYMs)...
i was second to last back
last being ~10mins behind me

finished around 22:30 on the monday night

this year, on the mountain bike, i'm aiming for before sunset
did faff abit
and taking a bivi bag rather than a tent
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm ???

i was second to last back
last being ~10mins behind me

finished around 22:30 on the monday night

this year, on the mountain bike, i'm aiming for before sunset
did faff abit
and taking a bivi bag rather than a tent
Thanks v much... thats very good info. I will mull it over (and I suppose if I think I'm gonna run behind too much, can just take the shortycut!)...
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:18 pm
KamelTrek wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:01 am My plan is to stay on pace and at the shortcut point I'll see how I feel and whether I want to test myself.
When I did it last year I found the first day the hardest. The shortcut also misses out the North York Moors which was my favourite bit. So I'd suggest you keep this in mind when deciding to cut across or not at the shortcut.
Noted. Thanks for the advice, Sean!
substandard

Post by substandard »

I'm partaking in it this year.

If this rain/snow bog creation weather doesn't do one i will use my fatbike wheels! :-bd

If it dries out i might dust off the 29er wheels that havent seen action for too long!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I’ll be on the new mountain bike

Just need to get bags sorted.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We're signed up.

I'll be on the Solaris.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I was fully expecting to receive notice that this is cancelled at any moment... but then got the email from Chris Ellison to say it's going ahead, as I'm sure the rest of you will have.

So now each of us have a decision to make (bar any further legal restrictions that might or might not be implemented). Without wishing to repeat the conversation about the morality of riding/bivvying from the other thread, what are people's thoughts on this specifically?

My initial reaction is that an arduous multi-day event like this will inevitably involve a fair bit of contact with shops, etc., some less than ideal sanitary conditions, and give my immune system an unnecessary kicking (this may not apply to everyone, but I've found from experience I'm prone to picking up colds after long, hard efforts - in fact I came down with a cold the day after a 150 mile road ride two weeks ago), and therefore the common sense approach is to leave it for another time.
redefined_cycles

I'm with you on this one... I've cancelled LeJOG and so too this one I'll not be attending. Reason for me abstaining IMO (right or wrong) the more contacts/interactions we make/have then the more likely we might be part of the chain (either pre or post) to infecting someone who's immune system cannoyt take the hit.

Following that, with too many people not able to take the hit and if beds are already occupied with people already being treated, then sooner or later that backlog is just gonna.... well you know what I'm saying.

I'll say no more and to each their decisions (until the army steps in). We don't want a repeat of Italy no? (sorry, I said more)

[Edit: my comment isn't a reflection on anyone and I think we're all learning day by day and making new informed decisions. Until yesterday I was firmly in the 'yes I will be going' camp for both the DD aswell as LeJOG...]
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The closing of cafes and pubs will significantly increase the distance between resupply on some sections of the route.

Seems a shame to do the ride and not have the option of sampling the local culture available.

I'm leaning towards not bothering tbh.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was a bit surprised at the content of the email I must admit Dave. I fully expected Chris to postpone/cancel it. I can see why he's not done so, there's no need to panic and hunker down especially given it's a non-spectator event like say the Tour of Yorkshire.

Against that is the sight of eighty or so riders setting off from Arnside across the north of England which sort of gives an "up yours" message to everyone else, particularly since the average age of the population of Arnside is probably in the 80s.

Frustrating in that it is one of the events I was planning on doing this year. I've a feeling that events will overtake us and make the decision for us. I'm leaning towards delay for this year or postpone until next.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I was equally surprised Bob. I suspect events will conspire against Chris. I've heard multiple murmours from central government insiders that indicate this week's measures are only the start. The advise we are taking is to write off April.

I'm not going as I live in a street with elderly neighbours and have offered to help if they get imposed lockdown. I don't feel I can piss off and leave them. Andy's point on cafes/pubs would probably stop me regardless.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/covid-19-updates

There's Chris's official blurb. Sounds reasonable to be fair and it seems from the sound that he's keep his options open and trying to stay safe as poss as well as following govt advice and common sense carefully... a few tweaks have bèen made to the orginal format also. If I wasn't in the NHS and worried about being stigmatised as well as worrying the locals, I'd probably still be going. But being my first big multi day ride, going this far out of my comfort zone at current climate might just be a bit much for me...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheers for the link Shaf.

Scrolling down I see the HT550 is postponed indefinitely :sad: kind of inevitable.

Without wanting to be an internet doom-monger, until such time as there is a vaccine then the only way to keep infections and deaths down is to limit contact, a vaccine is likely to be at least 18 months away so trying to reschedule events for later in the year is pointless at the moment :sad:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

a vaccine is likely to be at least 18 months away so trying to reschedule events for later in the year is pointless at the moment
I kind of playing Devil's advocate here but I can't see that things can continue as they are for an extended period - certainly not 18 months. Look at the state people are in already. People I'm sure are prepared to do the right thing for a fortnight or so but the novelty will soon wear off and society as we know it, can't be shored up for any great length of time and emerge unscathed. After a time 'the greater good' is likely to become something else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

They're predicting the peak no. of cases for this summer to be in 10-14 weeks, so we can expect progressively tighter controls up to then, then some slackening off afterwards with control measures being reintroduced towards the winter as the number infected starts to rise again.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In the age of science and the internet people expect a cure for everything and instantly. I fear that may not be the case with this.

The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic lasted from Jan 1918 to Dec 1920 (according to wiki) so somewhat longer than 2 weeks. That killed a between 17 million and 50 million people (estimated) worldwide although there were likely other factors to that as it was just after the war.

I'm trying to stay positive but I have borrowed a turbo trainer off a friend ready for the lock-down :wink:

The hospital my wife works at has run out of PPE already... and they don't even have any infected patients yet. It was used up in the first of the training sessions, the sessions for the remainder of the staff have been postponed :roll: