anyone else proper had enough of the weather?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Re: anyone else proper had enough of the weather?

Post by benconnolli »

I am ridiculously positive, and both of those words are important here, but the weather is just another part of the environment. I love the woods but not all the time, the flat is sometimes wonderful, but being an active part of the changing landscape is truly incredible.

Oversimplifying weather to good dry bad wet loses so much! All of the mighty sounds that only come out in a hoolie, the zoomy raindrops in your peripheral vision, that satisfying squelch as you make your own path through dense mud, the heavenly moment when there is a gap in the clouds and you can see the view. The only negative of weather for me getting cold, but this is something I can control with layers, so I do, and embrace the power that the vaguely exciting storm or unrelenting drizzle throws at me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep Ben, peeps need to enjoy it not fight it :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I vote we organise a lynch mob, head up to Aviemore and give Scotroutes the righteous up-stringing he deserves for posting that picture on this thread! (Sorry Colin but you've got it coming :mrgreen: )

Aye as I received my morning bucket of icy water in the face from the rain laden gale, I did express the opinion to the world around me that the weather can just about **** ***....

Might be alright next month so I guess we just have to put up and shut up :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

Yep Ben, peeps need to enjoy it not fight it :-bd

have you tried riding into a galeforce wind when your chest is 5ft wide............... :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

nah but i have done it tucked in behind you :-bd
It did not help much and i am sure we were averaging 2 perhaps 3 mph
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:49 pm Yep Ben, peeps need to enjoy it not fight it :-bd
I fought the storm and the storm won
It was the best tent I ever had
makes me pretty glum

I did giggle during the winter Bivvy snowmagedeon
The winter event was fun :???:
It’s great this weather reg, it’s just getting slightly monotonous.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I started kitesurfing a week ago :lol: .

It's ace! :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Al... I drove through the Lakes to get to Whitehaven this afternoon and the wind was mad. I reckon my fuel cost was roughly 25 percent more than it would be normally and I had to close the sunroof (teeny bit open) due to bit pf turbulence. Its a 4wd old farmers (old, farmers... not 'old farmers') estate Subaru car so heavy enough...

Going up Wrynose and Hardnotts in that kind of wind would probably mess my head up too. Certainly my commutes for the last few weeks have been interesting and at least 2 were abandone - maybe me being soft - due to the weather. One thing is for certain though, which I always tell myself: that when the sun starts coming up during the commute (which it has) it'll be a 'cheap high'. No need to snort anything!!

So think of it this way, when the wind finally subsides and you do them bivvies with the nice lightly breezy sunny mornings and warm nights, the 'I feel real good' factor will be amplified :-bd

Wind... Its hard work mate but you've been doing aboslutely amazing (and probbaly inpsiring others to keep going with their BAMs also) bud. Keep it up (but stay safe :smile: )
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Working outside in it all day I just can’t be arsed to get out on the bike . Thought it had broke last Friday , the only day I was out of thermal overalls this year , but come Saturday it was back again :???:
faustus

Post by faustus »

benconnolli wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 pm I am ridiculously positive, and both of those words are important here, but the weather is just another part of the environment. I love the woods but not all the time, the flat is sometimes wonderful, but being an active part of the changing landscape is truly incredible.

Oversimplifying weather to good dry bad wet loses so much! All of the mighty sounds that only come out in a hoolie, the zoomy raindrops in your peripheral vision, that satisfying squelch as you make your own path through dense mud, the heavenly moment when there is a gap in the clouds and you can see the view. The only negative of weather for me getting cold, but this is something I can control with layers, so I do, and embrace the power that the vaguely exciting storm or unrelenting drizzle throws at me.
I totally agree with you about this, just for me it isn't always the case when riding. Otherwise, I enjoy taking the environment as it comes and dealing with weather as part of it. I just do other things, but i do miss riding.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Some of these are relevant 50 delights of riding your bike... I may moan and complain, but then you get rides like this morning, well, bits of them anyway. Wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Woohoo!