Self Isolation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Self Isolation

Post by JohnClimber »

Self Isolation if you have a runny nose etc
If it comes to it....

Can you self isolate out on your bike up in the hills as long as you stay away from other people?

And of course wear a mask as you go in to the SPAR for your top ups to keep you going?
Lazarus

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Lazarus »

first question - probably can but it going to be hard to do - and most folk will have to travel to the isolated spot where they will likely encounter other humans

the second question requires you to meet folk so is in no sense isolation
gairym

Post by gairym »

In theory you could self-isolate out in the wilderness if you could get someone to drop supplies off for you to collect but then you'd be going against the self-supported spirit and would have to disqualify yourself from whatever route you'd decided to self-ITT :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

If you start showing symptoms of an acute respiratory infection John you probably want to stop at home and put the central heating on.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:27 pm If you start showing symptoms of an acute respiratory infection John you probably want to stop at home and put the central heating on.
That's what I'd tell the boss, but bugger off 100% fit :wink:

If only I got full sick pay and could get away with it :roll:
ripio

Post by ripio »

I see no reason why someone who is self-isolating at home shouldn't be able to go out for a bike ride on their own, providing no cafe stops, etc. are taken.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

so you think you can be out in public and also somehow be isolated at home?
Really?
I cannot tell what is sarcasm here and what is not
gairym

Post by gairym »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:24 pm so you think you can be out in public and also somehow be isolated at home?
Really?
I cannot tell what is sarcasm here and what is not
Mine was sarcasm! :-bd
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I mean it’s pulling a sickie as much as any other sickie, even if this sickie has media hype.

I could handle the pain and general illness much more than having to be in isolation for two weeks. Would be so rubbish. I really don’t want to do that.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Been wondering about this. Isolation could have it's upsides, could do some good miles over 2 weeks if it turned out to be nothing major :-bd
Isolation I read as 'from others' and means not leaving virus-laden fingerprints where others will come into contact with them or sneezing infected vapour in places where others breathe it in. As far as I understood it the virus is only airborne in droplets from a sneeze for a few metres before falling to the ground, so perhaps riding in the woods or on country roads on your own would be ok if you're up to it. Anyone know any more from actual medical knowledge?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Isolation means staying at home away from other people. Going out of the house means a risk of coming into contact with people, even unintentionally - if you needed medical assistance or came across someone else who did, for instance.

As a country we've done okay, comparatively, at limiting the spread of the virus. A major factor in that has been people isolating. If everyone who was told to isolate thought "sod it, I'll go for a bike ride/run/whatever" we'd be doing a lot worse.

It's 2 weeks at home ffs. Get the Kindle app on your phone and put your feet up. :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

perhaps riding in the woods or on country roads on your own would be ok if you're up to it. Anyone know any more from actual medical knowledge?
I know its more risky to everyone else than you not doing it .
Yes you might be so rural and isolated you literaly dont encounter anyone then again you could crash and be rescued and then infect 100 people whilst unconsious and being rescued and they infect 100 others each as they did not know about you etc

Just take one for the team and stay at home,
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm not ill or even have a sniffle.

But of you're company pays you in full to take 2 weeks off (which mine won't) is could be a great 2 week "sicky" trip as long as you don't social media it to work mates
Last edited by JohnClimber on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Quite frankly, I’m disappointed with Lazarus’ stance.

Surely he’d be fine, no?

:lol: :lol: :wink:

On a more serious note, I’ve come down with a (chesty) cough, no idea if I’ve a temp (no thermometer) but don’t feel I’m running one and throat is ok. Sneezing as you might expect from a cold/flu. Not knowing been in a known infected area (certainly not abroad, haven’t been for 7+ years)... so I figure really unlikely (I’m in Highland).

Can’t taste anything, but apart from that...

According to the guardian, if it was in a couple of weeks time they’d be asking I self-isolate...
Give the dirt a little room.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I know its more risky to everyone else than you not doing it .
Yes you might be so rural and isolated you literaly dont encounter anyone then again you could crash and be rescued and then infect 100 people whilst unconsious and being rescued and they infect 100 others each as they did not know about you etc

Just take one for the team and stay at home,
Logically you're correct (well, maybe not the infect 100 people perhaps but I know what you're getting at). What I don't know is that if practically going out for a walk or an easy pootle if you live somewhere that backs onto woodland etc is a risk - that is, if you're not close (within 2m) to anyone you can't transmit it. I know the advise has to be B+W, that's fair enough. To be clear, I'm not saying I would/wouldn't - just wondering.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

probably the best way is a very late or very early one where you are unlikely to meet anyone -perhaps you can just wear a bell like the lepers of old to warn folk :smile:
However you are still only reducing the risk of contact which is still,inevitably greater than if you are isolated . In the broadest sense how much of one i dont know but its higher than the alternative of not doing it. FInally you do that , your neighbour goes fishing, someone else walks their dog etc and before you know it ;hundreds of [potentially thousands] of infected folk are all outside doing no harm.
@metalheart - i am worrying about you little people as I have insurance :cool:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

probably the best way is a very late or very early one where you are unlikely to meet anyone -perhaps you can just wear a bell like the lepers of old to warn folk :smile:
I was coming to a similar conclusion myself. Only I think something on proximity sensor that bellowed UNCLEAN, UNCLEAN would also be required, no.

PS, might public spirited of you, no better insurance than Jesus I say... :lol:
Give the dirt a little room.
jameso

Post by jameso »

perhaps you can just wear a bell like the lepers of old to warn folk :smile:
Ha.. or like the early days of the time-triallers, all sneaking around in black kit.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I think self isolation is a great thing. And bikes facilitate it immensely.

Not too long ago I packed food and fuel for a 30 day long unsupoorted trip. It was fantastic.

Marc Michel was on a 90(!) day trip completely unsupported.

Do it. Pack your bike as you usually would for the hills, but bring more food and fuel. Start riding to find a remote place in the neck of your woods and sniff flowers, watch wildlife and clouds for a while. To me that seems a very fair isolation.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My work means it’s only a matter of time before I come into direct contact with Covid19.
Unfortunately my 7 year daughter old has a serious chronic lung condition.
To keep her safe i’m looking at camping in my garden indefinitely starting sometime soon.
Covid19 May pose no real threat to you personally but flapping around if you are symptomatic puts others at risk.
This thread is something like a jokey thread about drunk driving... not that funny.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely the ability to laugh at things including ourselves and make light of bad situations is an asset. As a nation I recall we were once really good at it - now we fight over toilet rolls*

*which in itself is actually quite funny.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am Surely the ability to laugh at things including ourselves and make light of bad situations is an asset. As a nation I recall we were once really good at it - now we fight over toilet rolls*

*which in itself is actually quite funny.
As I recall Jim Davidson used to be considered funny :roll:
WSC
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not quite the same. He was just unpleasantly tediously monochromatic. I used to laugh at the people laughing at him. It's more Frankie Boyle's style I'm interested in. Black/wry humour can be done in a sensitive way. Taking the piss out of situations or opinions, not out of a person's characteristics. Although I suppose one's opinions are part of one's characteristics. Ho hum.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As I recall Jim Davidson used to be considered funny
I'm sure you know I don't mean that Luke. My point was, laughing at adversity usually makes it feel less adverse.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I know. And fighting over toilet rolls is p1ss funny. It’s probably because of the diet of tinned peaches and tuna folk will be eating ( (as evidenced by the empty shelves in my local supermarket).
WSC