Ultralight weights - sub 25lb?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

Re: Ultralight weights - sub 25lb?

Post by Anthony »

Ian I was going with your circa 45g then added 15g for the pump. I tried that on my Lezyne pump a while ago, but I couldn't get the knack without them jetting off like johnny rockets!

I like that xcracer multitool, but by time I've added in a 2,2.5,3 and 8mm Allen key I'm up at normal multitool weights. I played around with something akin to the Topeak Ratchet Ronny but substituted the ratchet handle for a cut down 1/4" combination spanner which was circa 50-60g all up iirc. Fiddly but fine for emergency use and totally reliable.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I live to read this kind of stuff, so thought us see how far I can take it away from being hyperthetical

It's not quite as ultra light as possible but I just put the following items together and weighed them together at 1826g

Phd minimus, phd dryshell sleeping bag cover, full length foam mat, ti pan, lid, rabbit stove and fuel, lighter, mini scourer, windshield, tea, ti folding spork, cuben tarp, sensible guylines (not spectra!) solid pegs. Lezeyne Multitool, tyre levers, airbone pump, 3m gaffer tape, spare tube, mini pliers/multitool all in an Alpkit 13l drybag and a wildcat harness.

Extra clothes:
fleece hat and synth vest 273g haglofs Oz 175g montane pertex trousers 105g
Totals 553g

Alpkit frame bag 150g (fits enough food in for a couple if days)

I have a single speed bike that weighs 18.5lbs (thanks to Ian's wheels I bought from here!) so my sums as follows:

Bike. 18.5lbs 8.41kg
Kit 4.0lbs 1.83kg
Clothes 1.27lbs 553g
Total 10.78kg or 23.72lbs

May stick it all together and go use the local bike shops scales!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice1 Ian that's ace, thanks. That's some impressive kit :)

What tarp do you use out of interest?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Yes I have an 'embarrassment of riches' when it comes to Kit. I used to test kit for some brands and a retailer and have developed quite a kit habit.

also after my granddad died a few years ago my grandma gave several family members some cash with the strict instructions that it was to be spent on things "which we wanted but didn't need!" that paid for a number of my more recent purchases...

the tarp is an MLD grace, bought second hand from someone in the UK. it was a good price! its surprisingly versatile considering it has a cat cut ridge line. it is huge for one and you can fit two in if you are friendly..

i'd be happy to pay full price for one, but would seriously consider something with a beak next time.
alansmout

Post by alansmout »

my summer set up, i'm limited to single nights due to family commitments so fairly easy to go light. I normally wear rohan dry ascent trousers, even in summer as they are waterproof but lightweight.

Cuben tarp on the way which should be sub 100g.

exped 13l dry bag - 41g
terra nova tarp 180g
ballon bed, 9 balloons, pump, 7 x paper clip 115g
amk heatsheets bivvy 110g
50cm x 190cm polyolefin groundsheet 17g
6 ti pegs 6g
6m 1.25mm cord 6g

cook set
440ml strongbow mug 11g
red bull can stove 3g
matches and foil windshield and lid 5g
tissues 6g
spark from fruit pack 1g

500ml sports soft bottle 20g
torus balloon pillow 6g

amk medical kit 44g
photon x lite and elastic cord 6g
tooth brush and paste 5g
lynx mini deo spray 11g
ear plugs 1g
omm sonic smock 59g

yeti vib 150 390g
rohan t shirt 58g
rohan boxers 29g
merino thin socks 35g
rohan leggings 73g
TOTAL = 1238g
on bike
front light handle bar mount 19g
inova xs and lithium battery 27g
99p shop rear light 16g
TOTAL 62g

catskill under saddle bag - 69g
spare tube 83g
toolmanator 1 tool 42g
birzman fly chain tool 37g
lezyne lever 5g
park patches 3g
sub 40 pump 39g
multi spanner 21g
TOTAL 299g
KIT TOTAL 1599g

bike
trek marlin SS rebuilt with lighter bits
carbon rigid forks
15.5 inch frame
fulcrum wheels
sv19a tubes
bontrager 29-0 tyres

total weight 9.2KG
GRAND TOTAL 10.799KG / 23.8lbs
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Alan ... some of those weights seem very low for standard(ish) items ?*

*I'm not saying they're wrong, just surprised.
May the bridges you burn light your way
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

1g tie pegs, with a tarp :? One good fart and that will blow away ;)

In fact I'm calling BS on that kit list! And why take deodorant?
alansmout

Post by alansmout »

@s8tannorm - I used a standard salter digital kitchen scale, which seems accurate. When I buy things with an advertised weight they seem to agree. I'm a massive geek about these things so usually take a photo for my own reference. Any bits in particular? Some stuff I went through several version s to get to the lightest. The can pot in particular. I thought a 250 ml Pepsi can would be lightest but the strongbow turned out to be lightest and hold more. I think the 250ml can was twice the weight of the 440ml strongbow.

@didnothingfatal - fair point on the pegs but I should say the list is quite condition specific, I mostly ride the ridgeway in Oxfordshire which is clay/ loan soil and ride in summer so wind is at a minimum. Certainly would pick this kit for rough weather.

Why take deodorant? Wife much happier if if I turn up smelling ok. Camping like a hobo she can ( sort of) understand, smelling like one, not so much!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Sounds like we have a challenge for next years WRT weigh in ;)

'Official' scales. Anyone want to try a sub 25lb weigh in and a full weekend with all of the kit?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My carbon hardtail race MTB weighs 23lbs according to the literature. Add a tube and a bottle of water and that's 25lbs. Don't think I would be self sufficient on that....

Ooh hold on.

-Bike + small water bottle 24lbs
- Credit card - 1oz

Total, 24lbs 1oz

:lol:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Interesting list there Alan. You've gained in several areas by adapting light/thin materials for other uses, like the mug for example. I had to google a couple of couple of things to work out what they were, like the sports soft bottle. How are you packing all this on the bike?

However, I note your list doesn't actually include a breathable bivvy or sleeping bag? How sustainable would this be for more than one night out (I've never used one)? The saving in weight here is something 340g vs a PHD Minim and Wasatch bivvy bag.

The OMM sonic smock, whilst impressively light, is a windshirt not a waterproof.

There's a whole two ounces to come off that balloon bed though ;)
alansmout

Post by alansmout »

@chew I would be impressed if anyone turns up for the full two night WRT with 25lbs of bike, kit and food. Getting the kit weight down isn't too expensive but I reckon you could do 3k on dropping a bike down to the 16 - 18lb range. I do have a dream build list for a single speed based on an ibis tranny ( I already have one but built up geared for trail use) and it comes in around the 7KG mark. I've entered the last two WRTs but missed both due to family illness or double booking myself, fingers crossed I get there next year!

@ian - yep few compromises on the list, the bivvy isn't breathable but seems ok in summer use. I sleep pretty warm so its only really there in case the weather turns. Sleeping bag was on the list, about half way down, a yeti vib 150. Its really only a summer bag but as I am limited on my chances to get out it works for me.

Yep wind shirt only it seems to do the job in light to moderate rain. I think montane do some 150g fully waterproof jackets so would be tempted by one of those.

All of the kit bar the tools goes in an exped 13l bag strapped to the handle bars with velcro. The exped bag has straps too

I have some .34 cuben on its way so will be looking into a myog balloon bed!
Chew

Post by Chew »

alansmout wrote:@chew I would be impressed if anyone turns up for the full two night WRT with 25lbs of bike, kit and food. Getting the kit weight down isn't too expensive but I reckon you could do 3k on dropping a bike down to the 16 - 18lb range. I do have a dream build list for a single speed based on an ibis tranny ( I already have one but built up geared for trail use) and it comes in around the 7KG mark. I've entered the last two WRTs but missed both due to family illness or double booking myself, fingers crossed I get there next year!

@ian - yep few compromises on the list, the bivvy isn't breathable but seems ok in summer use. I sleep pretty warm so its only really there in case the weather turns. Sleeping bag was on the list, about half way down, a yeti vib 150. Its really only a summer bag but as I am limited on my chances to get out it works for me.
I think the idea is to try and reduce the weight, but also make it usable. Yes you could have a sub 25lb bike+kit set up, but if you cant use it in everyday conditions its not much use. You could just ride a unicycle and sleep under a hedge ;)
Food/water we can disgreguard as thats stuff you can pick up along the way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think the idea is to try and reduce the weight, but also make it usable. Yes you could have a sub 25lb bike+kit set up, but if you cant use it in everyday conditions its not much use.
Indeed. Hence I've specc'ed pegs that still work in soft peaty ground and some warm evening wear.

That said, it's pretty clear from these posts that sub 25lb is fairly easily achieved.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

So I've taken the kit listed above and added 115g of Tooth brush and paste, sun cream, midge net and deet to the first aid kit.

And splashed out by packing Coffee 12g. Also the extreme decadence of a spare pair of merino socks. Didn't weigh them!

Have packed up the frame bag with food for a day+ and am riding to work tomorrow then after will be off on a long one tomorrow and Saturday. Either TPT then back via hayfield or may go round the 'new' kinder loop.

Haven't weighed the food but guessing I may have sneaked over the 25lbs now by a small margin. Especially as the 'single speed' currently is set up as 1x9. :-0 if I get the chance i'll weigh the lot on some bike shop geek scales.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Right, off out tonight for a one nighter. Conditions look perfect.

Bike weighs 21lbs according to the bathroom scales. Kit weighs 5.08lb. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14119
I don't have the budget (or inclination) to try and make the bike any lighter (it's in its lightest config currently). Don't think I can trim the gear down much more either, so ~26lbs is about it for me.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Some interesting weight saving idea's in this thread which i am investigating. I've been trying to put it all on a diet since an infamous 52 lb weigh in of my bike and kit ( and a little Ridgeway mud ) after a bikepacking trip last autumn.

My bike weighs 26 lbs for a start.....oops
There doesn't seem to be any fuel / food in weight quoted here ?

my little contribution to weight saving ideas. Ditch the 15ml travel toothpaste and folding toothbrush.
Get hold of a "airline" toothbrush and 5g tube of toothpaste. 13g for both and enough toothpaste for 2 days.
i got mine from ebay.

@Ian. what do you think of those Alpkit Ti V pegs ? I've read mixed things but like you i have a couple of critical pegging points for which the 6g Ti shepherds crook is not enough.

@Ian. Good review of the Vargo Triad stove BTW. I bought one and like it. The key i found was making the windshield fit your pot properly in order to get it to burn well. i find a 5mm - 10mm gap all the way round works well. I also made a small base plate ( with holes for the legs to stick through ) which stops it burning the grass and improved fuel consumption. It is a bit slow but fuel consumption is very good which adds to the weight savings.
didnothingfatal

If stove is wanted, keg stove with caldera and gram cracker 3g titanium esbit holder takes some beating.

Can't help but want to try the new Easton carbon alloy pegs, 5.5g each but £35 a set of 4 :o my new ultralight setup is going to hurt the wallet.
Ian

Post by Ian »

@mtbmarkymark. Weights quoted here are "dry" weighs, which don't include food, water and fuel.

V-pegs are fine. Never had an issue with them.

@dnf. Vargo Ti pegs weigh 6.5g each and cost 15 quid for 6. Why would you want to spend an extra £6 per peg to save 1g?
didnothingfatal

@Ian, that's the problem with them! I can't see much advantage over them except the strength and thicker diameter. The MSR carbon core I have I think are 6g each.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I bought some of the msr carbon core pegs. I can't recommend them. I have snapped one very easily and the plastic top has come off a couple of the others. The Easton carbon core jobbies look very similar to me.

i've got a couple of the Vargo Ti Nail pegs. The 9g ones are very strong and the 15g ones indestructible. Only problem may be the hold in soft ground.

I'd be tempted by the Easton 20cm nano stakes or the Alpkit Ti V pegs recommended by Ian
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Alpkit have been my 'go to' place to get Ti pegs at, sort of, sensible prices.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll have to ignore the weight of my pig iron On-One but I've just weighed some gear as I've packed my bike and I'm quite happy.

Sleeping bag, mat, jacket, bivvy bag, pillow and inflation sack for my mat all in a 10l dry bag comes in @ 1436g or 3lb in proper money ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way