Ribble CGR Ti Vid

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alexinthepeaks

Ribble CGR Ti Vid

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Bought myself a new Ribble CGR Ti on Cycle Scheme, turns out is a pretty capable off roader. Im kinda tempted to do the HT550 on it...Although having never done it, has anyone done the HT550 on a Garvel Bike, is it an utterly stupid idea? I have no issues tacking the challenging terrain, but just wondered if anyone has tried it and how they did.

Little vid of the bike in action below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5wQk3aQlY
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Ribble CGR Ti Vid

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not too uncommon for rigid riders to shove suspension forks on for the HT or to use full suspension ... take from that what you will :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would assume a CX bike is the least chosen bike for that route but i am sure some mad fool/hero has done it on one
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm pretty sure Alaistair Mc of these parts either tried or did it on a CX bike.

Not uncommon for rigid 29ers, I did it on one for example, but a suspension fork will help.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nah it was Touch, aka Fraser McBeath. He later indicated it wasn't ideal but did make it to Suileg Bothy on the Sunday night....
Personally I'd not contemplate it. There is a lot of rough going which would be a monumental PIA on drop bars and narrow tyres. These rough bits are the ones that are most likely to break you so figure your ride on them
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alan previously posted a link to the Bomtrack video where their rider did it on an adventure bike, and also said it wasn't suitable for such a bike :smile:

I've done it on a rigid singlespeed. I'm currently building a Salsa Spearfish with gears for my ITT this year... make of that what you will :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

Alex, whilst a gravel bike would be great for a huge amount of it, the real challenge is to be still riding after 15-20 hours each day. For that you really want something easy to ride and not a handful off road. Ht with suss forks is perfect (or it has been for me)
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Many years cyclo-cross rider here. Genuinely considering buying my first full-susser ever for this event... or something steely at least. Perhaps fully supported without all the baggings on a 'cross bike? :lol:
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Alex, i recognise 90% of that vid, any chance of a route link via strava maybe, see if i know it all?

To be fair, I'd probably avoid a few of those tracks on my gravel bike (i really do dislike that term for some reason) its the sustained rough terrain that makes the difference for me on something like the ht550.

Granted ive not done the 550 but did the 430 back at the start, i rode that hardtail and bought a short travel full sus shortly after. Id still use a hardtail mtb though now if i were to try it again.