The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Post by redefined_cycles »

I often get confused with names and sometimes its nice to call people by their everyday name as opposed to their Avatar.

Appreciated that some/many might prefer their Avatar and sometimes its just easier. My OCD means I always try to call people by their preferred/street name.

Therefore if you wish to add your BB name followed by your other name then feel free to do so here. If it sounds like the 'dumb* idea of the week' then feel free to ignore the thread and as you were and erm, maybe the mods will delete the post or I will...

The other side to the thread is that its always interesting knowing the background behind peoples BB name. So if you wanna just elucidate (thats a posh word right!) that, then I'm/we're all ears.
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sean_iow

Re: Whats yer name

Post by sean_iow »

sean_iow = Sean :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Re: Thw story behind your BB name (and whats your street name)

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ha. I've thought about this too. I'm rubbish with names anyway and haven't met enough folk on here to piece together all their real names.

Colin btw
techno

Re: Whats yer name

Post by techno »

Good idea shaf. I'm usually andy.
Edit: Oh yeah the explanation. Techno comes from my musical obsession and mail is a bastardisation of my surname. Should have probably just gone for techno thinking about it....
Last edited by techno on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Shafiq...

Redefined_cycles... Cos its the name i gave my - didn't get anywhere - business which I tried to run a bike shop once from my loft. Main reason was to get the lical community on decent/second hand bikes but at a budget. Called it that name cos I'd attain dexent frames/bikes and rebuild em. I think I got to a point where I had 5 or 10 custoners this one year...

My problem being that (aside from my meticulous attention to detail which means it takes me ages to do/built things but I see it as an extension to my art skills from way back when) I used to mock the cheap crap bikes, respectfully off course. Whilst the decent and nicer to work on bikes would end up a the local bikeshop as noone wants to trust someone in a loft who's charging a fair whack to do something which the local shop might charge a fraction for. Having said that I would keep my prices in line with that Bicycle Cooperative from Scotland who brought us Revolution bikes!!

How did Redefined_cycles come about I hear you ask. Well thats a story in of itself. I started riding bikes in the hope that its simple engineering that I could maintain myself. Over time I got into the addiction of 'which bike rides best' and made it my mission to ride MBRs top 10 bikes of the decade. This took me to bikes such as the Kinesis Maxlight as well as the Turner 5Spot (didnt ride that cos I mihht have liked it too much so stripped and sold) and the GT Zasker (what a bike.. if you manage to get a proper retro one). I learnt during this search that MBR talk a lot of tripe (nonetheleast when we rode a few of their trails and realised they'd obviously not been ridden for years as well as seeing stuff published which I'd seen 6 years prior).

Main thing that got me into building said bikes and helped pluck up my confidence is that, during this journey and having a new (used) frame build every year: My local bikeshop had become a bit too pally with me and I was always last on the list to have my work done. To cut it short, my last bike I had (rebuilt from parts off old bike and swapped to new (to me) frame, it took him almost 2 months.

Caught him fobbing me off and then we agreed he'd let me work there voluntarily (Colne Valley Cycles of Milnsbridge with Tez the then gaffer). Did that for almost a year to pick up my skills and the rest is history... Found this here forum and realised everyone knows what I know about bikes and more so conceded to just riding em slowly :-bd

Oh... and by the way, reason why my speeling is always a bit off is cos I have autospell turned off as its almost gotten me into trouble a few times in life so its actually safer and more dignified to leave it off and deal with the spelling issues :grin:

NB. Thanks again Stu and Dee for this amazing resource and (potentially) a favour to thw world
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

It came from when my boy was quite young , just after I’d had my climbing accident , he asked me .dad what’s gonna to be your middle aged madness now? He meant to say what’s gonna be your midlife crisis :lol: , and it just stuck from there , so when I refound biking it’s was a obvious choice
As you know shaf in every day life it’s Stu ( besides tw@t c@nt and the kids personal bank :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Mine is cryptic as hell - ain't no way anyone could guess the origins of my username :-bd

It's 'gairym'.

And.....wait for it.....

My name is Gairy and my surname begins with an M.

One of the useful things about having a daft name is that it's already unique enough to not require much additional info to be easily identified.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

BobCatMax

1st part is a shortened version of my first name, last part is a shortened version of my last name and the middle bit seemed to fit with the 1st bit and I do love a furry kitty.

99% of people call me by my last name. Extra bonus points if you can figure out my famous doppelname
Image Image
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 am
99% of people call me by my last name. Extra bonus points if you can figure out my famous doppelname
Is it Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf, what's a 'street name'? Is that the one you were given by your parents / is on your cheque book or one like rappers give themselves, you know Ezee eze or summat? I'm a country boy, I don't know much about this street stuff. I didn't see tarmac until I was 17.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Luneranger on account of thinking it up whilst living on the banks of the River Lune in Lancashire many moons ago.
I’ve never been cool enough to have a street name... :geek: but I’d like it to have been Razr Munky :ugeek:
Last edited by lune ranger on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo after the bikes (had three of them pre-halfords from sideways cycles)

my 'gram name is singlespeedsimon as its in the rules of singlespeeding, tell EVERY fecker that you ride SS :lol:

and Simon, well.... :-bd

Have often thought about changing my user name to either Simon or my instagram name for consistency sake
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 am
BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 am
Is it Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch?
So so close
Image Image
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

My BB name is ported over from STW.

Post hack I tried to register as deathtoeveryone (is gonna come, after the Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy song) but it wouldn’t let me for some reason so I chose a Cat Power song Metal Heart instead.

The lyrics contain the line “Metal heart you’re not worth a thing”. I always felt that this was fair warning to anyone who could read it and judge the content of my posts accordingly :lol:

I’ve recently come to realise that I’m (borderline?) on the spectrum/neuro divergent and struggle with social cues at the best of times. I’m not great with faces that I don’t see on a regular basis and putting names to that is just an added complication.

As for ‘street’ name, my actual name is Neill (yup, there’s two ‘els’ There. I blame my parents personally) just about everyone will get that wrong all the time.

I generally do not broadcast my full name as when I’ve stuck it in to google it only returns hits on me which is a little to unique for my liking. I don’t want some drunken late night ramble to follow me forever...
Give the dirt a little room.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From memory it was when I signed up to STW and "Bob" had already been taken, either BB hadn't started at the time or I didn't know about it. Whitestone is the name of a crag https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=3 ... &A=Y&Z=115 on the family farm where I first started climbing, nothing more prosaic (another posh word :wink: ) than that plus a bit of consistency I suppose.

Bobcatmax - Rupert Murdoch?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Gregsie - nickname that a few people use for me based on my surname that came about due to the email address that Google came up for me, bless em.

Real name Paul, but usually answer to anything as I'm a bit deaf.