Sandro's bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Sandro's bags

Post by ericrobo »

I was interested in his bags because of problems with my front sus dropping a bit (negative air pressure, now sorted), before I knew it was the front fork.

After a few days Sandro phoned me, and tried to convince me that knees wouldn't touch.
I was very sceptical (Reg's references to John Wayne etc.)

Anyway we agreed I would pay for the bags and if not satisfied he would refund me in full'.

They arrived yesterday...

Put them on the bike this morning with :
Right hand pocket:

PHD sleeping bag containing liner, long johns, woolly socks

left hand pocket:

MLDesigns Trailstar + inner

Blue pocket:

Neoair sleeping mat, Klymit Cush pillow, Permavent sheet, Alpkit KLoke bivvy bag

Difficult getting it in, and it was very bulky... I was definitely losing hope...

Moved them up a bit nearer the stem, and went up the street.... very surprised that my knees were almost clear, mainly clear.

Came back and adjust my seat a bit (5 mm)

Up the street again.... very good, excellent..

Put my frame bag on (without taking the bags off), containing my usual haul:
First aid, tool kit, pump. zip ties, spare tube, tiny lock, MSR Trailshot, duct tape, tubeless repair, tent pegs, 500 ml water...)

So I got my gear on and went out for my regular 7 mile ride (800 feet, some gnarly climbs too, a bit of mud)

THE RESULT: Excellent !
I didn't know it was on. Absolutely no movement. The bike handled certainly better than with a handle bar bag on, not that I find a handlebar bag much of an encumbrance)

I even simulated lifting over a gate, no problem as your fork crown is there staring at you and none of the bag anywhere near..

Here are some pics:

ImageIMG_3051 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3050 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3049 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3048 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3047 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3046 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3045 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3044 by Eric Robinson, on Flickr

It's very lightweight material, so you wouldn't want anything sharp or pointy in there. I think Sandro claims it's waterproof (but that might be Italian or French waterproof)
So my sleeping bag is in a dry bag.

You can see it all looks bulky, but it doesn't interfere with your riding at all. And no movement.

As for me I'm on a medium bike, and between 5'8 and 5'9, don't have particularly short legs, nor particularly long.

I'm impressed. :-bd

I definitely thought this morning they would be going back !!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Sandro's bags

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I already know the answer Eric, so I hope this isn't an unfair question but did you try standing to pedal? Sandro did say it probably wouldn't work well but I wonder whether you tried.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

I retract my JW comment :smile: . Very nice review and pics Eric. They are certainly very eye-catching and innovative, instead of knee-catching. Still amazed they don't. Compliments for giving them a go. Hopefully modelled at WRT so we can see them in action?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done EricRobo... You might have started a 'paradigm shift'...

One day everyone on the BB200 and 300 will have the Jon Wayne-notJonWayne bags... :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what was the cost of these ?
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

HELLO EVERYBODY,

Thanks Eric for the trust and detailed review ! this NEW bag is not easy to understand! ;-)

I'm glad you are very satisfied!

IN ANSWER TO: It's very lightweight material, so you wouldn't want anything sharp or pointy in there. I think Sandro claims it's waterproof (but that might be Italian or French waterproof)
So my sleeping bag is in a dry bag.

the seams most exposed to water are taped (English waterproof)... but not all... from the experience of customers in the rain no problem of water inside....

I agree with you, no sharp objects inside the bags, the fabric is resistant, but thin / light! ( polyamide )

good adventures

Sandro
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Good idea and sounds like they work well but....really should be paired with a Lauf fork for the full effect :wink: :-bd

I know, I'm a tart :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Couldn't help thinking of this when I first saw the concept.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Lazarus wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:38 pm what was the cost of these ?
Hallo, the cost is 175 € for a big bag ( 16 lt for 285 gr ) avoids you buying more small bags ;-)

Sandro
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Neat idea, I like that
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

RIP wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 pm They are certainly very eye-catcing
I know looks are very subjective and form follows function but I think they're ugly as hell. Just my opinion.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I thought this too, but is it because we are not used to the set up?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

|I am not sure who amongst us are looking at our normal bags/set up and going wow oh look how i have enhanced the aesthetic appeal of my bike
None of them are actually pretty IMHO and as that looks so unusual its hard to tell whether its just challenging our preconceptions or it is actually just a bit ugly.
I am not even sure a camelbak is particularily pleasing on the eye
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I can live with riding a Lauf, but you have to draw the line somewhere. This is just other-worldly FUgly for me. Sorry...
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Hallo,

This product was born because I have not looked at what others have developed to do bikepacking ... I started from an idea and I sized the bag based on the objects we usually carry, tent, mattress, sleeping bag, clothes ... the excellent results prompted me to patent and produce this bag!

Eric has published many photos to make you understand the product better, photos taken from different perspectives, some are more beautiful than others! ;-)

on aesthetics ... a matter of getting used to, as for the saddle bag, which I find "very" ugly ... and not VERY stable and functional! ;-)

Sandro